Grade The Diggs Trade

Rigotz

How would you grade the trade the Bills just made for Stefon Diggs?  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Bills traded a 1st-round pick, a 5th-round pick, a 6th-round pick and a 2021 4th-round pick for Vikings WR Stefon Diggs and a 2020 7th-round pick. What grade should the Bills receive for this trade?

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Same principal, if you have two who people think are #1s, but neither are top 10 at their position, you don’t have a #1.

Total drivel. The 49ers had Montana and Young. Too bad neither was good enough to be a #1 QB

Stop with the "wise man" quotations. They mean NOTHING.

EDIT: I should add, Parcells remark (specifically about QBs) was likely saying a team needed to DECLARE a starting QB and stick with him. Using multiple QBs rarely works out in the NFL. But multiple WRs are on the field all the time. If you really wanted to question Diggs ability to be a true #1 WR (whatever that means, these days), you might want to see how often he was doubled covered, as opposed to Thielen (or another WR on the team). Not just looking for meaningless out-of-context quotations.

Edited by The Dean

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Total drivel. The 49ers had Montana and Young. Too bad neither was good enough to be a #1 QB

Stop with the "wise man" quotations. They mean NOTHING.

Montana was a HOF player and THE BEST at his position, Young was the heir apparent.  The comparison holds zero weight because guess what, they had 1 and Montana was the clear one until age was in question and Young took over.  Use your Corona vacation to get educated in logic big guy. 

Neither Diggs nor Theilen is considered a top WR in the NFL no matter how hard you homers try to spin it.  A guy averaging 72 catches, 12.7 ypc and 6 TD is what you would consider a first round bust.  Guys like that are walking around in FA, in fact the Bills signed that guy last year, John Brown. 

I remember why I stopped coming here, so much homerism and no reality.

Guys need to understand that we weren't getting Jeudy or Ruggs without giving up two 1st rounders. And even if we did that, there's no guarantee that they'll be as good as Diggs, plus it'd take them 2 years to get there if they did. 

At 22, we'd have been looking at Tee Higgins at best.

Either way, Diggs for #22 & change is our best bet, and our window to strike is now.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

I do not have a clear understanding of why he was not happy with the Vikings.  Because the offense became more run focused?  Without knowing how well he fits within the team culture, I can't see it as a slam dunk A.  He is what the offense needed and is more likely to deliver than any rookie would be.  I just wonder why he'd be happier as a Bill than what he appeared to be as a Viking and that could make a big difference in how well the trade actually plays out.

54 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Neither one is a top WR, both just good.  Great is reserved for those that actually are.  As Parcels said, “if you have 2, you don’t have one”

You are the one not getting it, the guy is a borderline #1 and you want to crown the Bills as making a great deal.  He is An AVERAGE starter, not a star. 

Not crowning anyone anything......we need to see

But I tell you right now......to crown college WR's coming into the NFL as being better before they play an NFL down is seriously folly

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Some would argue siting stats alone, without a deeper context of their roles, offenses, circumstances, etc, is a rather shallow way to compare two different players from two different teams.

Some might, for example, point out that Diggs was either Co-#1 (some argue he was #2) with Thielen while Brown was a clear #1 in the Bills offense in 2019.

Some might point out that Diggs was targeted on 94 plays, getting similar results as Brown, who was targeted on 115 plays.

Some would definately point out that Diggs has been the more consistent producer of the two, over the years. While Brown had a near career year with the Bills, Diggs (in a year where he had some issues and was deemed unhappy with the Vikes offense) had his second straight 1,000 yard plus season.

My original point that Diggs was a marginally better version of Brown was based on watching both of them. They are both somewhat smaller and faster, but not Tyreek Hill blazers. They are strong route runners with reliable mitts. Diggs has better after the catch ability. They are well rounded, but not physically dominating. They are respected, but don’t strike fear in opposing DBs for that reason. The stats merely back up the visual. Diggs is still a far cry from top guys of the past few years like Julio and Michael Thomas. 

17 minutes ago, vincec said:

It's a great move IF Josh steps up his game. Otherwise it's a waste or worse, possibly a headache, if Diggs starts complaining the way he did in Minnesota.

Josh has stepped up his game.  He'd reduced many of his mistakes. 

A7C59EB0-B597-4F18-B733-0E022CCC6806.thumb.jpeg.e593f61839dbc48cd9389768097fd072.jpeg

Brown stepped up the game last season, Beasley also helped. 

Beyond that 

Duke Williams

Andre Roberts

Robert Foster

Ray-Ray McCloud

Nick Easley

Tight End's 

Dawson Knox, Tyler Kroft, Lee Smith, Jason Croom, Tommy Sweeney and Nate Becker

Nothing great came out of that group. Sure some of them had a very good game here or there, but not consistently. 

And then there's Daboll's game plans . Who the hell calls for a play on 4th and 15 when you are in FG range in the playoffs? 

I give it a B+ if Diggs doesn't honor his current contract and wants a redo.

An A  if he does honor it. The compensation seems right. We were never getting Hopkins and I'm sure Beane inquired. O'Brien maybe clueless but he's not clinically insane, I think?

Radio jocks are already playing the over/ under game as to by what game Diggs starts bitchin about Josh's accuracy and not getting the ball to him on time.

At first on heels of Texans stupid trade of Hopkins .. thought WOOAHH ... way too much.  Now after reading more ... the 5th and 6th were really extra picks from (Bodine / Teller) .. the 4th in 2021 is comp pick for Lawson ... let's call the 6th & 7th exchange fungible ... so we spent a #1 on a proven STUD WR vs. crap shoot draft pick (see list of failed #1 WR picks in recent years) ... Yep .. that's a A in my book.

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would you trade the equivalent of Pick 18 for Diggs?

If you think their SB window is open this year then - Yes.

This was the move I wanted them to make... 

This is the kind of move I wanted them to make too.  On the picks though, that package doesn’t even get you to 20.  Maybe if the team trading back is really motivated and knows they can slide for the same player they were taking at 20 anyway, but that would be very rare.  I’ve harped on this in my “trade up for Lamb” posts, but I’ll say it again.  We need difference makers on offense and #1 WR is our biggest skill position hole.  This move accomplished what pick 22 wasn’t going to: acquiring a difference making #1 WR who is ready to be that kind of player out of the gate.  Finding an elite player at 22 is rare.  Finding an elite WR at 22 in any given draft is pretty much impossible.  And expecting that player to be elite from day 1 is the stuff of Disney films.  Beane really did an excellent job here.  I still graded it a B because I think we got close to exactly what we needed and paid a fair price for it.  My nitpicks are that I’d have preferred a bigger WR with no locker room concerns.  I reserve my A grades for near perfect fits and/or bargains. Still, this is damn close to that.  I’ll take this every day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

At first on heels of Texans stupid trade of Hopkins .. thought WOOAHH ... way too much.  Now after reading more ... the 5th and 6th were really extra picks from (Bodine / Teller) .. the 4th in 2021 is comp pick for Lawson ... let's call the 6th & 7th exchange fungible ... so we spent a #1 on a proven STUD WR vs. crap shoot draft pick (see list of failed #1 WR picks in recent years) ... Yep .. that's a A in my book.

The 4th is not a comp pick, those have not even been thought of yet and at this point the Bills have signed more than they have lost, so no comps coming at all.

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This is the kind of move I wanted them to make too.  On the picks though, that package doesn’t even get you to 20.  Maybe if the team trading back is really motivated and knows they can slide for the same player they were taking at 20 anyway, but that would be very rare.  I’ve harped on this in my “trade up for Lamb” posts, but I’ll say it again.  We need difference makers on offense and #1 WR is our biggest skill position hole.  This move accomplished what pick 22 wasn’t going to: acquiring a difference making #1 WR who is ready to be that kind of player out of the gate.  Finding an elite player at 22 is rare.  Finding an elite WR at 22 in any given draft is pretty much impossible.  And expecting that player to be elite from day 1 is the stuff of Disney films.  Beane really did an excellent job here.  I still graded it a B because I think we got close to exactly what we needed and paid a fair price for it.  My nitpicks are that I’d have preferred a bigger WR with no locker room concerns.  I reserve my A grades for near perfect fits and/or bargains. Still, this is damn close to that.  I’ll take this every day. 

Diggs was a 5th rounder, how is finding a WR at 22 “impossible”?  Michael Thomas was a 2nd round pick, out performed Diggs best year as a rookie.  Just saying, that argument is nonsense.