Grade The Diggs Trade

Rigotz

How would you grade the trade the Bills just made for Stefon Diggs?  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Bills traded a 1st-round pick, a 5th-round pick, a 6th-round pick and a 2021 4th-round pick for Vikings WR Stefon Diggs and a 2020 7th-round pick. What grade should the Bills receive for this trade?

59 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

We had 9 picks in the draft heading into last night....there is no way we were drafting 9 players this year that were going to make the roster out of camp. 

Plus you are going to have a disrupted OTA schedule that will hurt the development of a rookie WR you could take with #22.  Right price at the right time for a proven receiver that consistently get separation. 

To me it's less the issue of grading out 9 picks through camp (which I'd support), but rather getting a WR who can contribute this year without rookie stumbles.  Agree strongly with you that interruptions (CV19) in onboarding and training rookie talent skew decision making towards a trade like this.  

8 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

easy its year 3 yes take the next step but he's 23 he doesn't need to be top tier

it would be great but realistic is not top tier its improving being consistent not missing easy throws and making more plays which not throwing to street free agents, practice player grabs and other assorted pieces certainly helped him last year. This is the next piece but be Mahomes or your out isn't logical, realistic or in any way what McBeane will expect. They have brought him along about as perfect as you can don't fall down the hill being impatient keep climbing he's going to be great he'll be 24 this season so will Joe Borrow.

If he's still missing receivers, he's never going to amount to a franchise-type guy.

13 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

With the 22nd pick in the 2020 NFL draft the Bills select Stefon Diggs.

Thats an A grade.   

No if you guarantee his production from the past two years it's an A. Even then if he's talking smack and being a cancer it's going to detract from the strong culture developed. Not an insurmountable problem, and that's probably how. McB see it but that would still bring it down to a B. He could underwhelm or not find chemistry with JA. That would be a C/D  Or he could refuse to play that would be an F 

I hope I am wrong. This would make me very happy.

Edited by Seoulofstone

13 minutes ago, Capco said:

I don't understand the A grades.  It's pretty much universally thought that Hopkins is better than Diggs.  If we had gotten Hopkins instead of Diggs, how do you grade that trade?  It'd be off the charts.  

A is reserved for the best outcomes.  This wasn't the best outcome.  

Pretty apparent Hopkins wasn’t available to AFC teams , or he’d be on one right now. Not on an AZ team that isn’t an immediate SB contender for what appears to be low compensation for the quality of player. As for the Bills trade, we don’t know the outcome. The compensation was fair for a 26 year old WR1. Since we can’t really grade until we know the result, I’m grading now on making the move required to immediately give the 3rd year QB a top target and bring the passing offense into the 21st century. For that, I give an A. We can’t deal in “ I’d like the best WR in the league for X” as that’s not reality. 

I give it a C+

I like the player

I like the contract

I think the compensation was too steep

I worry about the diva attitude that comes w/ Diggs

If the Bills rip up his deal and give him a new fat deal, I'd grade the trade closer to a D.

• Like (+1) 1

Given the context of the teams current health, owner/GM/Coach wise,  division outlook, and the draft picks used, and draft picks still available, it was a really good move by the Bills. Grade = A

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

Many Bills fans are clearly having trouble adapting to the current state of the franchise. These fans have spent so long in the wilderness that they can't stop hording draft picks. This is not the 2000 Bills, or the 2010 Bills.  These are the 2020 Bills.  This is FINALLY a playoff team. Tom Brady may be gone by tomorrow morning. The Bills are ready to make the next move. They need to add some key pieces, but they are no longer rebuilding, or changing coaches, or still looking for a starting QB.  Let's go!

To give this less than a B means you just don’t get it. I gave it an A. 
Pick 22 is a wide receiver. Diggs is better than Ruggs right now.  No way Ruggs was making it to 22. 
The 5th and 6th round picks given up were procured from trades for Teller and Bodine. Players who were expendable because Beane signed good FA olineman last year. 
The fourth in 2021 is so far off, it’s an afterthought. 

Home run. Diggs is exactly what Josh needs. 

Awful trade.  Diggs is a good player, not a great one.  The Bills gave up way too much to get another guy who is basically a slightly juiced up John Brown.  Giving up a first was awful, the package is worth the 18th pick overall, I’m not at all impressed, looks like Beane got locked in and lost another trade.

• Haha (+1) 2

I gave it an A.

- 26 years old

- Four more years of team control
- Contract is a really great value for a #1 receiver
- Gives Bills top-5 receiving corps

- Sure thing, as opposed to HOPING a rookie pans out
- Is already very good, doesn't need to learn how to play in NFL for 2-3 seasons
- Best route runner in the NFL
- Top five contested catch receiver
- Legitimate deep threat
- Fits PERFECTLY with Allen's strengths and weaknesses
- Won't preclude the Bills from drafting another WR early this year

I thought about giving it a B instead, because the Bills DID give up a lot of picks. But if you look at it as a 1st, 2021 4th, Wyatt Teller and Russ Bodine for Stefon Diggs and a 7th, it looks quite fair. Bills still get to pick in rounds 5 and 6, still have a slate of seven draft picks, and in my opinion, will still draft a young WR early.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Awful trade.  Diggs is a good player, not a great one.  The Bills gave up way too much to get another guy who is basically a slightly juiced up John Brown.  Giving up a first was awful, the package is worth the 18th pick overall, I’m not at all impressed, looks like Beane got locked in and lost another trade.

Is this true? Not the first part of the post. That part sucks. But the second part of the post - the part that says the assets given up for Diggs equal moving up to the 18th pick. If that is true, then this pick was fabulous. 

Why? Because most mock drafts would require a move up to 15 to get Ruggs, the third best receiver in this year’s draft. After Ruggs, the talent level - while still high - drops off to a “Less Than Diggs” level. 

so it comes down to this: With Ruggs costing us more to get than us getting Diggs, is Ruggs better than Diggs? Maybe. Probably not. One thing for sure is that Ruggs won’t be better than Diggs right out of the box because the NFL is hard. 

Is Diggs as good as Diggs? Yes. Because Stefon Diggs is Diggs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1