Grade The Diggs Trade

Rigotz

How would you grade the trade the Bills just made for Stefon Diggs?  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Bills traded a 1st-round pick, a 5th-round pick, a 6th-round pick and a 2021 4th-round pick for Vikings WR Stefon Diggs and a 2020 7th-round pick. What grade should the Bills receive for this trade?

I feel this is what we needed for Josh, and our offense, but I feel a little steep.  I would have preferred Hopkins, but he probably wasn't made available to the AFC (my guess).  I'll live with it, but now there is no excuses for Josh.  This is the year he takes the next step, or we have to consider drafting a Qb next year (in my OPINION).  Let's hope for the next step in his development, accuracy, and deep ball.  

A

We got a #1 receiver. He might not be a top 5 WR1 or even top 10 but I don't think it matters.

Giving up our 1RD? I'll wager we win for the first 2 maybe 3 years, and that's assuming whoever we picked would become better than Diggs. There's no guarantee we hit on the 5th/6th this year, the onus is on MIN to do so.

The outrage over us giving up a 5th/6th in addition to this year's 1st and next year's 4th is a little over the top. By the same token the praise for MIN getting a massive haul seems a little premature. Sure it's a bunch of picks/scratch tickets but there seems to be an expectation that you turn these day 3 picks into dependable starters, let alone stars.

Great talent, exactly what we need on offense, but will have to see how he carries himself with this team. Right now it's a B, but will easily be an A if he comes in and lights it up in this offense while being a quality locker room presence. 

Edited by H2o

54 minutes ago, TOboy said:

B - great player, should excel for us, but we paid a fair price

That's exactly where I'm at. I like the trade, but for a 2nd rounder it would have been great and we would be talking about how Beane fleeced the Vikings. Solid trade for both sides gets you a B.

23 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

And now we'll get to see his "three feet over the receivers head" catch rate. 

That's catchable. Reach your arms up and jump for it.

C

I actually think the price reflects his value in terms of production. I know that Vikes stated they didn't want to give him away but I feel like they were running out of options so they will feel like it was the right price but maybe the Bills could have got him cheap. Of course they would have had to wait for that and I see the wisdom in filling a need now.

The curve ball here is if Diggs turns into a prima Donna and immediately starts demanding a new contract. Then it goes from wow Raiders got a steal for AB to man the Steelers fleeced Mayock. Some people are saying it was a Cousins issue not a contract issue. We will see. So really my grade reflects my lack of faith that he's just going to play happily under this contract.

I do think the sweet spot for the big 3 is 10-15 and the Bills couldn't get there. The next wave are top of the second value for me-Mims Jefferson Higgins and the Bills would only have been able to get them at value if they traded back or forwards which is never guaranteed. I do see why they made this deal.

Edited by Seoulofstone

I don't understand the A grades.  It's pretty much universally thought that Hopkins is better than Diggs.  If we had gotten Hopkins instead of Diggs, how do you grade that trade?  It'd be off the charts.  

A is reserved for the best outcomes.  This wasn't the best outcome.  

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

No more excuses for Josh. It's all laid out for him in his 3rd season. Play like a top-tier QB or bye-bye.

easy its year 3 yes take the next step but he's 23 he doesn't need to be top tier

it would be great but realistic is not top tier its improving being consistent not missing easy throws and making more plays which not throwing to street free agents, practice player grabs and other assorted pieces certainly helped him last year. This is the next piece but be Mahomes or your out isn't logical, realistic or in any way what McBeane will expect. They have brought him along about as perfect as you can don't fall down the hill being impatient keep climbing he's going to be great he'll be 24 this season so will Joe Borrow.

48 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

For now C-   Naw I'll change it to a B

they traded nearly half of the 9 picks  

Round 1: 22nd overall

Round 2: 54th overall

Round 3: 86th overall

Round 4: 128th overall

Round 5: 155th overall (from CLE)

Round 5: 167th overall

Round 6: 188th overall (from CLE)

Round 6: 201st overall

Round 6: 207th overall (from BAL through NE)

a 7th from Minny?

On the surface that seems like a lot, until you really look at what the Bills gave up. They gave up their 1st and "change" for Diggs. Yes, an extra 5th and 6th round pick I consider "change" as I do next year's 4th. Of course even change adds up. But 5th and 6th round draft picks go back and forth between teams all the time in trades.  If Beane REALLY wants that 5th or 6th back, how hard to you think it will be to recover it? One trade down  a couple slots in the 3rd recovers the 5th. He'll replace those picks in a heartbeat, if he really needs them.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

For now C-   Naw I'll change it to a B

they traded nearly half of the 9 picks  

Round 1: 22nd overall

Round 2: 54th overall

Round 3: 86th overall

Round 4: 128th overall

Round 5: 155th overall (from CLE)

Round 5: 167th overall

Round 6: 188th overall (from CLE)

Round 6: 201st overall

Round 6: 207th overall (from BAL through NE)

a 7th from Minny?

They traded three picks, have their previous six, and pick up one (a 7th) from Minnesota.  I think the 7th is going to be a trade sweetener for Beane to move up to grab some particular player he likes.  At the end of the process I think the Bills will end up drafting 5 or 6 players, which is about all this roster has room for.

B+

Im never a fan of trading away 1st round picks. I do like Diggs a great deal though. He’s what this offense needs. 

Hopefully he waits a year before he continues his quibbling for a new deal; and hopefully it’s based off of a career year. 

My biggest concern is him complaining to Allen or worse, the media, about balls coming his way. That’s what did him in in Minny and I’d hate for their to be any issues in the locker room. 

All that being said, he’s a great talent, he plays hard every snap, and he fights for every ball. That’s the kind of thing that will endear him to fans and teammates. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1