Grade The Diggs Trade

Rigotz

How would you grade the trade the Bills just made for Stefon Diggs?  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Bills traded a 1st-round pick, a 5th-round pick, a 6th-round pick and a 2021 4th-round pick for Vikings WR Stefon Diggs and a 2020 7th-round pick. What grade should the Bills receive for this trade?

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Great #1 receiver who gets separation in his routes. Just what Josh needs. The only reason I gave it a B+ is we really didn't need to give up the 5th & 6th. A 1st and 4th should've been enough. 

Well there was a lot of talk Seattle was going to get him, so this could have been the very result of simple competition for the trade.  I am certain Beane didn't start at that compensation level, and I am willing to bet he wasn't bidding against himself.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just cant see how its not an A.  

22 pick - Rookie WR with assurances to reach the level of play of Diggs or even become a bigger factor for 2 to 3 seasons. 

or

22 pick and some left over change (from Beane fleecing some teams for picks on guys he was gonna cut anyway last year) to get a bonafide stud to elevate Josh's growth now, not later.  Yeah it was a 4th next year too, but I am not worried, if there is a guy in the 4th next year Beane wants he will find a way to get him, always does.  

Best part about Diggs is he is both an excellent route runner and excellent at getting separation...but also a stud on contested catches and foot control.  He is exactly what we needed.  

his highlights remind me a lot of AB.  That's a good thing.  He's one of the few do-it-all WR's.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would have absolutely loved this trade if it was for D Hop.  But Diggs is a really good player himself.  But if he wasn’t happy in Minnesota, I wonder if he will truly be happy here.  So it’s a B with potential to be higher or lower with how Diggs handles being here.

• Like (+1) 1

According to Colin Cowherd, it was this trade (on the heels of the Hopkins trade) that made Brady decide he did not want to stay with the Patriots because they were not going to do what was needed to get him the weapons he wanted. If there is ANY truth to this, the grade is an A friggin +.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

A - 

The Bills basically got a bonafide proven #1 WR with their first round pick who was the most obvious piece this offense was missing last year at a reasonable price.  Not having to give up a player, a 2nd, or a 3rd is also big.  I really don't care about a 4th and a 5th considering we had two of them anyways.  The only reason it isn't a straight A is I don't know how good of a teammate Diggs is.

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Great #1 receiver who gets separation in his routes. Just what Josh needs. The only reason I gave it a B+ is we really didn't need to give up the 5th & 6th. A 1st and 4th should've been enough. 

I've been watching a lot of Diggs highlights and DAMN, dude can run routes on a razor blade.

Josh, he'll be open. Figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

B/B-.

I think draft picks are generally overrated but we could have done better given the market hopkins set and Diggs clearly stating he wants out. Diggs is a borderline top 10 wr. Diggs is young and on a good contract but was a drama queen the past few seasons with cryptic tweets etc. After the AB fiasco it is a little scary to invest so much in a guy like that.

C.  Nice player. Great fit. Steep price. Bird in hand.

This move saves roughly $6M per year based on the difference of market value and current contract, which is on par with a 1st rounder.  Throwing in the 4th and 5th and 4th rounders that we could have used to trade up for good players in earlier rounds makes this a worse than average trade for Buffalo.  Knowing that Hopkins was had for essentially a 2nd rounder, that Diggs was not going to stay in Minnesota, and that this draft is deep in WR, makes this a GREAT trade for the Vikings.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

It’s an A+ for me. Simply because I predicted it months ago. 
Kidding 

It’s still an A+ for me and I’ll put it this way. 
Keep our picks, no diggs. Who is capable of making the impact diggs is that we could get? 20 million for Amari? Robbie Anderson? 
We needed an elite playmaker. We got one. A+ for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs should also grade this trade as an "A" given the average January temps in Minneapolis vs. Buffalo :P.

Minneapolis: 24F avg. high, 8F avg. low.

Buffalo: 31F avg. high, 19F avg. low.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/minneapolis/minnesota/united-states/usmn0503

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/buffalo/new-york/united-states/usny0181

[From the Editor: For purposes of this post, average Jan. snowfall amounts and dome versus open stadium are being ignored. Go post your own comps if you wish:D]

• Like (+1) 1