This trade is as risky as the trade for Watkins. Am I the only who feels this way?

Big Curt

16 hours ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

No. Not at all. 

We gave up a first round pick, which was going to be spent on a WR anyway, and essentially Russ Bodine and Wyatt Teller and are getting a known commodity in Diggs versus an unknown commodity in Watkins (or a rookie receiver in general).

There is basically nothing similar about the two.

• Like (+1) 1

Do you ever wonder if people start stupid threads just to get “likes?” Is it that important to build up your reputation points in an online community? Does anyone really care that much? 

Also, while you’re here please feel free to leave a “like” by clicking the thumbs up in the bottom right corner of this post.

Thanks,

Kirbs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you ever wonder if people start stupid threads just to get “likes?” Is it that important to build up your reputation points in an online community? Does anyone really care that much? 

Also, while you’re here please feel free to leave a “like” by clicking the thumbs up in the bottom right corner of this post.

Thanks,

Kirbs

Done just for you Kirby - I want to help inflate the on-line ego just a bit!

Seriously - what would help is negative reputation points - so you instantly know who to ignore.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

All trades are inherently risky.  With that said there are quite a few differences and perspectives to consider.

1) The Bills traded 2 first round picks for Watkins whereas this trade involved only one.  That on its own makes it considerably less risky.

2) Although Sammy was viewed as a top end WR prospect he was an unproven NFL player, whereas Diggs is a certified Proven Top 10 RECIEVER in the NFL.

3) Whenever you draft a player especially a first round player there is always a risk involved whether or not you select a player who will end up living up to the draft pick. I find it to be a much less risky proposition to have Diggs than whoever the Bills would have selected at 18-22.

For those that are comparing this trade to Hopkins as if that should have been the standard are being unreasonable and foolish.  What the Texans did was egregious and that in no way shape or form should be viewed as any sort of a baseline.

Diggs for a first round pick at the age 26 at only 11 million a year is a really good deal, specially when you consider that the thinking is that the Bills are only a few pieces away.  Also the other frame of thinking is that the Bills are in their “window” of opportunity and their best chance at winning a Super Bowl will be over the next 3 years when Josh Allen is in his rookie contract.  So the idea is to go for it now.  Best to trade that first rounder for a proven legit #1 pick.

It pretty much all hinges on Allen’s growth if he continues to develop which I believe he will.  If he continues the growth we have seen then this will end up being a home run.

Bingo!

I suspect the OP was simply trolling; however, your explanation should answer any serious questions he/she may have had. ?

Note also this silly complaint about "all those draft picks" that were involved in the trade. The only pick of consequence was this year's #1 (22 overall). The others are all day 3 picks (of which we still have numerous others). Yes, I know sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough in those later rounds -- but the current regime has done a great job of rebuilding this roster to the point where a hit with one of those late-round picks has to be viewed as "icing on the cake" as opposed to a necessity to fill out the roster. The aim of the game at this point is to come away with 2-3 impact players -- and this trade ensures that they have already acquired one of those with Diggs (who is already a sure thing as opposed to a "hopeful" impact player at #22). The team still has a 2nd and 3rd round pick as well as multiple Day 3 picks that they could package to move up again if they so choose.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Oddball hot takes like this is probably why you should continue your average of posting less than 10 times per year.

LOL...I'm more of a fly on the wall then a poster.  I am very knowledgeable on the Bills.  I've been a fan since I was 6 years old.  Been through the Super Bowl losses and I'm still a die hard fan.  I'm 43 now, for what it worth.  As for the post, all I was saying was that when a team gives away this much for one player it means that either, that team is one player away from winning the Super Bowl or being a serious contender. Or has a young developing QB who needs more help.  I think Josh has potential, but he has a long way to go.  Accuracy issues for one.    I just thought with  so much Cap Space,  a team in a market like Buffalo needs to keep their draft picks and build through the draft and keep it's own players first.  Stefon Diggs wasn't even the best WR on the Vikings,  Adam Thielen is.  Plus they were getting rid of him anyway.  Why did the Bills over pay in that situation?  I hope the trade works.   I'll be overjoyed. 

I'm not a huge fan of the value of this trade for the Bills, but I do like Diggs for this team.  He should make a difference and you cannot definitively say the same about a WR picked in the middle or later part of the 1st round.

As far as a comparison, the two moves are not quite in the same ball park.

Watkins - Drafted #4 overall, by-passing local hero Khilil Mack, and using multiple 1st round picks to move up.

Diggs - Essentially used the draft capital equivalent to a mid first round pick.  Reasonable contract at $12M per year.

21 hours ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

I can see the comparison it's apparent with what they gave up in picks that Beane really really wanted this guy ! His talent has been said to be top 5 in the league which is good BUT every time i here talk of him there is always the reference to the "Drama" he caused while with the Vikings & that really really concerns me !

To this point every player Beane has brought in has been Bills type players, guys that have busted their ass & are usually the guys that every one thinks have talent but have either been over looked like a Brown/Beasley, are smaller guy like Oliver or a guy like Jordon Phillips just not used correctly, but correct me if i'm wrong most do not have huge ego problems but this guy seems to !!

Every time he gets a TD or makes a catch he has to stop push that chest out there & to say LOOK AT WHAT I JUST DID AM I GOOD OR WHAT !! And i for one can't stand that maybe that's why i don't watch as many games as i use to most of the great's weren't like these younger players today !

We will all see what happens though if Josh Allen's accuracy concerns don't improve i think this guy will go off & if that doesn't set him off by chance & Josh does improve that aspect of his game when he thinks he's the best WR ever & wants a new contract i think he could be a huge distraction to what McBeane have built here .

I pray I'm wrong ...

10 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Here are the WRs taken in the 1st round of the last 5 drafts.  Would you want any of these guys over Diggs?

Player / Pick

1. Marquise Brown / 25
  2. N'Keal Harry / 32
  3. DJ Moore / 24
  4. Calvin Ridley / 26
  5. Corey Davis / 5
  6. Mike Williams / 7 
  7. John Ross / 9
  8. Corey Coleman / 15 
  9. Will Fuller / 21
  10. Josh Doctson / 22
  11. Laquon Treadwell / 23
  12. Amari Cooper / 4
  13. Kevin White / 7
  14. Devante Parker / 14
  15. Nelson Agholar / 20
  16. Breshad Perriman / 26
  17. Phillip Dorsett / 29

Yes !  2 -  6 - & 12 please 

18 hours ago, Big Curt said:

I still think we are a QB away.

It took 4 pages for us to find out what this thread is really about. You don't actually care about the trade for Diggs, you just want to complain about Josh Allen. Even in that context trading for Diggs isn't prohibitive. What do you think, we should draft a QB in the 1st round this year? Or is it one of the later round picks that you think will solve that problem?

On 3/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, Buffalo86 said:

That was a historically bad trade.  I wish we would've gotten in on that, but it's not fair to measure our deal (or any deal) against it.  

I think Brandin Cooks would be a better comparison:

• 2017: Saints trade Cooks and a 4th (118) to Patriots for a 1st (32) & a 3rd (103).  Picks considered, Cooks was valued as roughly the #30 pick in the 2017 draft
  • 2018: Patriots trade Cooks and a 4th (136) to Rams for a 1st (23) and a 6th (198).  Cooks was valued as roughly the #25 pick in the draft

If the Bills traded away an amount of picks worth #18, I don't think it's too far out of line with these trades, based on my opinion that Diggs is a better all-around WR than Cooks is/was. 

This is right on. Not to mention we had those extra picks from shipping guys out of here like that horrible center that lasted all of 1 week with the Pats... We were using house money. Other than next year's 4th the rest of it was free and using our 1st on a 4 year deal on a proven commodity with much greater value than the "potential" of an unproven rookie. The big point is we were also bidding against the Patriots. Keeping him out of their hands is worth the 4th as well!

Edited by Locomark

On 3/17/2020 at 2:28 PM, Philo said:

Not even the same realm, honestly.

Exactly!

This wasn't two first round picks and a fourth for an unknown college player... and once Sammy started playing in the NFL he has been like a glass toy, always injured and needing repair. 

Sammy Watkins was drafted 4th overall and a draft pick that high is considered a blue chip, can't miss player.  Watkins had one 1000 yard season in his six seasons in the NFL, never an all pro, never been to a pro bowl. 

Just to put this into perspective, Julio Jones was the 6th overall player in the 2011 draft with 7, 1000 yard seasons, 7 time pro bowler, 2 time all pro. 

Diggs is coming off back to back 1000 yard seasons with a catch percentage 68.4%, 11% better than Watkins. Also better than Brown 62.6% and Beasley 63.2. Many have stated that they think Diggs is better than Amari Cooper. I tend to agree! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Risky as in as we have a proven WR compared to an unproven one? We now have a WR that has played complete seasons as in comparison to one that has yet to ever do that? Risky as we have a WR that wants to play and win as in comparison to one the states in interviews he may just sit out this season? How does it compare really?

On 3/17/2020 at 11:27 AM, Big Curt said:

I hope not.  As has been written many times, if Babe did not ***** receivers available to him at 22, this is low risk.  We get a young, proven elite receiver with a decent contract.  He may not fit the profile of a team first player, but I believe McDermott will get Digs to buy into to process.   Low risk imho.