This trade is as risky as the trade for Watkins. Am I the only who feels this way?

Big Curt

4 hours ago, Big Curt said:

My overall stance is that we have given up a lot for a WR.  This means that we are just one WR away from being really good.  I still think we are a QB away.  I respect Josh Allen.  I'm not sold on him and given him expensive toys may not make him better.  He has a long way to go. Another question...Is Stefon Diggs really that good?   Is he worth the Haul? Adam Thielen was the best receiver on that team.  Why pay such a steep price for a player who the Vikings were getting rid of anyway?

Have you read any of the responses here, or what the professionals say about Diggs? It appears from your question/statement here you have not, but only repeat your original statement. Why do that? The answers are surrounding you. 

Go Bills!!!

8 hours ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

The Diggs trade is in no way similar to the Watson trade except that both landed the Bills a WR.

Yes, you are the only one who feels this way. This was a fantastic trade.  We have a full draft a get a great WR who is always open and can play inside and out. Now we have 3 killer WRs so we can go 11 set all day long without having to play Duke, some nominal punt returner, gunner, or unproven rookie as the outside guy. Josh is on his rookie deal, it's win now!

• Like (+1) 1

OP yes it is a lot of draft capital especially in the context of the fleecing Arizona did to get Hopkins.  But this guy is a proven commodity.  He is on a great contract.  Amari Cooper is getting paid double and he may not even be as good as Diggs.  For now it looks much better than the Watkins deal.  But only time will tell.  He may holdout for better money.  He may blow up at Allen like he did to Cousins.    But on paper its a better move than the Watkins trade.

9 hours ago, Billl said:

We don't really know that yet, but even if it turns out that he is the calculus doesn't change.  If Allen busts, then it doesn't matter what other moves are made around him because they aren't winning anything.  If he's legit, this team should be able to change the scoreboard.  

JA is entering his make or break season, as extension talk begins in 10 months.  To date, there is substantial disagreement around whether his lack of production has been his own fault or a reflection of the talent around him (or lack thereof).  He now has ample support.  There are no excuses anymore.  If nothing else, McBeane won't have to make a $100,000,000 decision with incomplete information.

I strongly disagree, we all know JA is no EJ. I knew EJ was trash his rookie year. And got benched after 4 games into his second year. Allen has progressed before our eyes and continues to

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Well OP - you are getting slammed pretty good - I won’t pile on, but Yes, yes you are alone.

Not completely alone. I hope this trade works out (Diggs comes up huge), but I can't help feeling like we overpaid. Much of this comes from what Hopkins was obtained for by Arizona. 

Here are the WRs taken in the 1st round of the last 5 drafts.  Would you want any of these guys over Diggs?

Player / Pick

1. Marquise Brown / 25
  2. N'Keal Harry / 32
  3. DJ Moore / 24
  4. Calvin Ridley / 26
  5. Corey Davis / 5
  6. Mike Williams / 7 
  7. John Ross / 9
  8. Corey Coleman / 15 
  9. Will Fuller / 21
  10. Josh Doctson / 22
  11. Laquon Treadwell / 23
  12. Amari Cooper / 4
  13. Kevin White / 7
  14. Devante Parker / 14
  15. Nelson Agholar / 20
  16. Breshad Perriman / 26
  17. Phillip Dorsett / 29
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

Here are the WRs taken in the 1st round of the last 5 drafts.  Would you want any of these guys over Diggs?

Player / Pick

1. Marquise Brown / 25
  2. N'Keal Harry / 32
  3. DJ Moore / 24
  4. Calvin Ridley / 26
  5. Corey Davis / 5
  6. Mike Williams / 7 
  7. John Ross / 9
  8. Corey Coleman / 15 
  9. Will Fuller / 21
  10. Josh Doctson / 22
  12. Amari Cooper / 4
  13. Kevin White / 7
  14. Devante Parker / 14
  15. Nelson Agholar / 20
  17. Phillip Dorsett / 29

None.  That’s even before we traded for him, not being biased.  I’d take Diggs over all of them without thinking twice. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Not completely alone. I hope this trade works out (Diggs comes up huge), but I can't help feeling like we overpaid. Much of this comes from what Hopkins was obtained for by Arizona. 

That was a historically bad trade.  I wish we would've gotten in on that, but it's not fair to measure our deal (or any deal) against it.  

I think Brandin Cooks would be a better comparison:

• 2017: Saints trade Cooks and a 4th (118) to Patriots for a 1st (32) & a 3rd (103).  Picks considered, Cooks was valued as roughly the #30 pick in the 2017 draft
  • 2018: Patriots trade Cooks and a 4th (136) to Rams for a 1st (23) and a 6th (198).  Cooks was valued as roughly the #25 pick in the draft

If the Bills traded away an amount of picks worth #18, I don't think it's too far out of line with these trades, based on my opinion that Diggs is a better all-around WR than Cooks is/was. 

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

None.  Not one.  That’s even before we traded for him, not being biased.  I’d take Diggs over all of them without thinking twice.

I'm with you, though I think a case could be made for DJ Moore.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I'm with you, though I think a case could be made for DJ Moore.

Yeah he’s the only one I’d consider.  But today, I’d still take Diggs because Moore isn’t as known quantity yet.  But honestly, he’s only one I wouldn’t have an issue people choosing, but I’d still take Diggs personally.  He’s an elite route runner and an elite player at contested catches.  Can’t say Moore is elite yet at anything, but he’s a rising star for sure and quite good.

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

We traded the equivalent of the 18th pick for Diggs, which is still into the second tier of WRs (top 6 rather than top 3).  Who could we have gotten that would have been as good as Diggs?  Hell, who in the top 3 would be as good as Diggs?  If anything we got a good deal.

The Hopkins trade was just a bad deal by Houston, and can't reflect the value we got.  Your neighbor scoring an amazing deal on a car from someone desperate to pay off loan sharks doesn't mean the car you bought at still below market value was a bad deal.

2 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Player / Pick

1. Marquise Brown / 25
  2. N'Keal Harry / 32
  3. DJ Moore / 24
  4. Calvin Ridley / 26
  5. Corey Davis / 5
  6. Mike Williams / 7 
  7. John Ross / 9
  8. Corey Coleman / 15 
  9. Will Fuller / 21
  10. Josh Doctson / 22
  12. Amari Cooper / 4
  13. Kevin White / 7
  14. Devante Parker / 14
  15. Nelson Agholar / 20
  17. Phillip Dorsett / 29

Some might make a case for Cooper, but he was a top 5 pick and we weren't even in the same zip code of trading up that high with two 5ths and a 6th.  Great deal.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah he’s the only one I’d consider.  But today, I’d still take Diggs because Moore isn’t as known quantity yet.  But honestly, he’s only one I wouldn’t have an issue people choosing, but I’d still take Diggs personally.  He’s an elite elite runner and an elite player at contested catches.  Can’t say Moore is elite yet at anything, but he’s a rising star for sure and quite good.

Or Cooper. But the point is a really good one. First round WRs are rarely impact players early especially at pick 22. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Which is dumb because Houston is being universally mocked for making one of the worst trades in NFL history and the second round pick they got from Arizona is like 15 picks later - about half a round - plus a player that Houston coveted.

Put it another way - we paid essentially the same as what Brandon Cooks has been traded for the last couple of years, similar to trades for guys like Randy Moss, Roy Williams, Peerless Price, Percy Harvin, etc.

It is in line with the trade NE made with a #2 for Sanu just last year.

Not sure what else to say - the deal is what it is and we got exactly what we needed.

• Like (+1) 1

All trades are inherently risky.  With that said there are quite a few differences and perspectives to consider.

1) The Bills traded 2 first round picks for Watkins whereas this trade involved only one.  That on its own makes it considerably less risky.

2) Although Sammy was viewed as a top end WR prospect he was an unproven NFL player, whereas Diggs is a certified Proven Top 10 RECIEVER in the NFL.

3) Whenever you draft a player especially a first round player there is always a risk involved whether or not you select a player who will end up living up to the draft pick. I find it to be a much less risky proposition to have Diggs than whoever the Bills would have selected at 18-22.

For those that are comparing this trade to Hopkins as if that should have been the standard are being unreasonable and foolish.  What the Texans did was egregious and that in no way shape or form should be viewed as any sort of a baseline.

Diggs for a first round pick at the age 26 at only 11 million a year is a really good deal, specially when you consider that the thinking is that the Bills are only a few pieces away.  Also the other frame of thinking is that the Bills are in their “window” of opportunity and their best chance at winning a Super Bowl will be over the next 3 years when Josh Allen is in his rookie contract.  So the idea is to go for it now.  Best to trade that first rounder for a proven legit #1 pick.

It pretty much all hinges on Allen’s growth if he continues to develop which I believe he will.  If he continues the growth we have seen then this will end up being a home run.

• Like (+1) 3