This trade is as risky as the trade for Watkins. Am I the only who feels this way?

Big Curt

22 minutes ago, Big Curt said:

My overall stance is that we have given up a lot for a WR.  This means that we are just one WR away from being really good.  I still think we are a QB away.  I respect Josh Allen.  I'm not sold on him and given him expensive toys may not make him better.  He has a long way to go. Another question...Is Stefon Diggs really that good?   Is he worth the Haul? Adam Thielen was the best receiver on that team.  Why pay such a steep price for a player who the Vikings were getting rid of anyway?

which 5th rounder are you gonna miss the most ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mathja said:

2 firsts used to get Watkins. Only 1 to get Diggs. 

Traded for Watkins without a franchise QB in place. 
Traded for Diggs with a franchise QB in place (along with many other pieces to the puzzle). 

so, gave up less & timing much better. 

oh, 2 more things... 

Diggs is better

Diggs is proven 

The idea that you are already anointing Josh Allen as a franchise QB is absurd.

Franchise QB's are those like Brady, Mahomes, Manning, Rivers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Brees, Watson, Ryan, Rodgers, etc.

Throwing for 3,000 yards, 20 TD's, 9 INT's, and under 60 completion % is NOT a franchise QB yet. That's closer to Tyrod Taylor than it is Drew Brees. That was against the weakest schedule in the league too, so let's not pretend he's already there.

As risky as Watson... no

Risky... yes

I think that Allen’s touch and accuracy issues drive a need for a strong receiver with a BIG catch radius.  Maybe a tight end or someone in the draft will fill this need. In the meantime, given that Brown and Beasley did pretty well, I’m confident that Diggs will do very well.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Watkins cost 2 first round picks and one was the #4 overall.  

Diggs is the #22 pick and a few late rounders.

That #22 pick only gives you a CHANCE to get a player as good as Diggs. Why do people lose sight of that. First round WR’s are a crap shoot. Diggs and Tyreek Hill were 5th rounders. We paid for someone else to find the diamond in the rough for us. 

8 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

As risky as Watson... no

Risky... yes

I think that Allen’s touch and accuracy issues drive a need for a strong receiver with a BIG catch radius.  Maybe a tight end or someone in the draft will fill this need. In the meantime, given that Brown and Beasley did pretty well, I’m confident that Diggs will do very well.

And they will only do better with another serious threat on the field! 

• Like (+1) 3

First I understand where you are coming from given Diggs history of drama. But really we traded enough draft capital to move from 22 to 18. It’s really not that crazy.

And really if Diggs misbehaves, we should still have enough talent to see if Josh is the long term solution even if we have to part ways with Diggs in 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The idea that you are already anointing Josh Allen as a franchise QB is absurd.

Franchise QB's are those like Brady, Mahomes, Manning, Rivers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Brees, Watson, Ryan, Rodgers, etc.

Throwing for 3,000 yards, 20 TD's, 9 INT's, and under 60 completion % is NOT a franchise QB yet. That's closer to Tyrod Taylor than it is Drew Brees. That was against the weakest schedule in the league too, so let's not pretend he's already there.

All fair points. But sometimes you need to put the right people around a QB to help them take that next step. 
As a GM you should operate with conviction and stand by your decisions. I believe that Beane and McDermott and everyone on the roster is confident that Josh is the guy. When that’s the case (and when the QB is on their rookie deal and you have the most cap flexibility you might ever have), you kind of have to take your shot...

The other option is to do the bare minimum—draft whatever player comes to you and hope for the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Minus this year, Thielen was their number 1.  Diggs is really good though.  Put another tall receiver on this team and it’s a very good core.  The excuses for Allen will be done. 

Who benefits more from whose presence: Thielen or Diggs?  I guess we'll find out this year.

Relax Big Curt there is no comparison to the Whaley/ Watkins deal  :)

Technically its this years 1st( no guarantee could be Zay V2) and a 4th next year.

The other 2 a 5th and 6th  were already replaced with trades last fall.

Plus he got a 7th back to replace the one he traded away.

He didn't mortgage the future and acquired a Star WR.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who benefits more from whose presence: Thielen or Diggs?  I guess we'll find out this year.

Very true.  They benefited each other.  I see the same for Diggs and Brown this year.  But on paper, it is a downgrade in passers so how happy Diggs is this year will be a true test of the process.  

I wonder if they feel pressure to pay him.  We would kinda have to right considering what we just gave up?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very true.  They benefited each other.  I see the same for Diggs and Brown this year.  But on paper, it is a downgrade in passers so how happy Diggs is this year will be a true test of the process.  

I wonder if they feel pressure to pay him.  We would kinda have to right considering what we just gave up?

No idea if they feel pressure to pay him.  But the new CBA makes holding-out a bad move.

4 hours ago, hjnick said:

I think Diggs will be good for us.

The only thing I don't like about the trade is giving up the 1st round pick.  I would be ecstatic if it was a 2nd instead of the first.

So I think getting Diggs is good, but I wish we would have given up a little less. (Like we all do)... especially after the Houston trade...

Unfortunately BOB cannot make the deals for the Vikes;)

It might of only cost a 3rd if he could ;)

Besides Hopkins is 28 Diggs is 26 and has 4 years on his deal 

• Like (+1) 1

Since I don't think Big Curt has returned to this thread, I'll assume this was just a troll post. Maybe I'm wrong.

But how you can equate the two moves is beyond me.

Watkins (and all rookie players) are a crap shoot. You have to wonder:

Will they adapt to the NFL game? (Diggs has proven he can---did)

Will money make them lazy and ineffective? (Diggs is very effective, even after the new contract)

Can he adjust to a new QB? (Diggs has been effective with as many as four different starting QBs)

Plus he only cost ONE 1st round pick, not TWO.,

So what was your question again?