This trade is as risky as the trade for Watkins. Am I the only who feels this way?

Big Curt

1 hour ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

Let me make this easy for you...

DRAFT PICK = RISK

TOP 10 WR = UPGRADE

Or this could help...

DRAFT PICK WR = small contribution 2020, maybe 2021

TOP 10 WR = immediate high level contribution

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Big difference is that Diggs is already an established player, he cost 1 first rounder rather than 2, and we were likely to go WR in the first round and we hope whoever we may have taken in the first round is as good as Diggs one day.

Thats false

we tradedup to 4 and gave up 9 and the 1st the next year. So 4 and 9 cancel out this the Net is the pick traded which was I think 20.

I think Diggs will be good for us.

The only thing I don't like about the trade is giving up the 1st round pick.  I would be ecstatic if it was a 2nd instead of the first.

So I think getting Diggs is good, but I wish we would have given up a little less. (Like we all do)... especially after the Houston trade...

1 hour ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

It is not remotely the same.  Whaley was sitting pretty in that draft to get a blue chip WR prospect.  He gave up the 9th overall pick and the following year’s first and fourth round picks for Watkins.  There are a ton of differences there.  Some differences are that Whaley:

- gave up a lot more draft capital than Beane did for Diggs

- gave up a future 1st when the QB position was a need

- acquired a blue chip WR prospect rather than a proven top 10 (or top 15 at worst) NFL WR 

Admittedly Diggs is being paid more than Watkins was, but that certainly seems minor in comparison.  Especially when you consider that any rookie WR the Bills could reasonably acquire this season would not be able to hit the ground running like Diggs will be.  They’re are never likely to be as good as him, but they will take time to develop regardless.  That’s hugely important this season.  Every game will matter if we want the division title.  

Also there’s the matter of determining if Allen is our guy moving forward or not.  There won’t be questions about whether it’s the supporting cast that’s the problem.  He’ll step up and we are off.  Or he won’t and we will be an attractive team if a FA QB should happen to come available or we will have all of our picks (except our fourth) to package to find one.  

21 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Thats false

we tradedup to 4 and gave up 9 and the 1st the next year. So 4 and 9 cancel out this the Net is the pick traded which was I think 20.

Really?  So we traded future first rounder to move up to the 4th overall pick of the draft to select Sammy, right?  How many picks is that?

1) I will never fault a team for getting weapons for a young QB or going “all in”.

2) I will never fault a team for sitting out day1-2 in free agency. 

I like what the Bills are doing because they are have a roster where they are only a few players away from being good.

I like what the Jets are doing because they are a lot of players away from being good. 

2 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

1) I will never fault a team for getting weapons for a young QB or going “all in”.

2) I will never fault a team for sitting out day1-2 in free agency. 

I like what the Bills are doing because they are have a roster where they are only a few players away from being good.

I like what the Jets are doing because they are a lot of players away from being good. 

LOL 10-6 and rested starters, Bills are already good

2 hours ago, Big Curt said:

Well.. He didn't give up next years 1st in addition to this years.  So to start, the compensation is significantly lower.  He's on an affordable contract for 4 years and is a proven commodity.  

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Really?  So we traded future first rounder to move up to the 4th overall pick of the draft to select Sammy, right?  How many picks is that?

2?  Is this a trick question?

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Well.. He didn't give up next years 1st in addition to this years.  So to start, the compensation is significantly lower.  He's on an affordable contract for 4 years and is a proven commodity.  

2?  Is this a trick question?

It shouldn't be but there are still some deplorables among us who are going to argue that it took 3 or more first rounders to select Sammy.  Maybe this guy will be original and argue only 1 pick was used.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

It shouldn't be but there are still some deplorables among us who are going to argue that it took 3 or more first rounders to select Sammy.  Maybe this guy will be original and argue only 1 pick was used.

Hey - it looks better when you see what the browns did with the picks they got.  Sammy Watkins for Justin Gilbert, Cameron Erving, and Ibraheim Campbell 

My overall stance is that we have given up a lot for a WR.  This means that we are just one WR away from being really good.  I still think we are a QB away.  I respect Josh Allen.  I'm not sold on him and given him expensive toys may not make him better.  He has a long way to go. Another question...Is Stefon Diggs really that good?   Is he worth the Haul? Adam Thielen was the best receiver on that team.  Why pay such a steep price for a player who the Vikings were getting rid of anyway?

Just now, Big Curt said:

My overall stance is that we have given up a lot for a WR.  This means that we are just one WR away from being really good.  I still think we are a QB away.  I respect Josh Allen.  I'm not sold on him and given him expensive toys may not make him better.  He has a long way to go. Another question...Is Stefon Diggs really that good?   Is he worth the Haul? Adam Thielen was the best receiver on that team.  Why pay such a steep price for a player who the Vikings were getting rid of anyway?

I don't like you.

@Hapless Bills Fan permission to treat the OP as hostile?

• Haha (+1) 2

When you trade off next year's draft pick, you trade it at a discount. I would not have felt as badly about the Watkins trade, if it had been the first and second of that same year. A future draft pick gets discounted about one round. Some rumors said Cleveland wanted the Bills 1st and 2nd round of that year and the Bills said no. With the 2nd round pick that year the Bills drafted Cyrus Kouandjio. 

If trading for Diggs doesn't work out, it will not mean that Beane is regarded in the same way as Whaley because Beane and McDermott got the Bills to the playoffs. There is no comparison between Beane and Whaley. Looking at the players they have drafted also means there is no comparison.