This trade is as risky as the trade for Watkins. Am I the only who feels this way?

Big Curt

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sammy’s first 2 years were pretty on par with Diggs last 2 and it was a High school offense with Tyrod throwing the ball.

i like Diggs a lot but he is more of a really good 2/ 1B type of receiver.  This deal for Hopkins is a homerun.  But like everything, it comes down to Allen.  If this helps Allen develop into a franchise qb, it’s an awesome deal.  If Allen goes the way of EJ, JP, and Trent, we will second guess all those picks.  

but it’s a fine risk for a team that has a qb on a rookie year contract.  They still need a big receiver though.

Diggs is a certified WR1

• Thank you (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

A boatload? They gave up the equivalent of the 18th pick...that wasn't even as high as where they were drafting Watkins if they didn't trade up. For a proven commodity in this league...one of the best route runners, contested ball receivers and deep threats in the NFL.

I'd make that trade twice everyday and a third time on Sunday

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You should be the only one that feels that way. 

Agreed. The reason why Beane works so hard to get those extra picks is so he can throw them into deals like this. Those were basically free picks we got for 2 guys he traded last year that were likely going to be cut.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

Agreed. 

Our fan base can be awfully coo coo at times (including me).  We get a tip tier WR in his prime that does multiple things - essential for the growth of young QB and there's some fans that would rather take a flyer on a rookie.  It's just crazy talk. 

1 hour ago, Big Curt said:

The Bills have just gave up a boatload of draft picks for a WR.  I admit he is an upgrade for what we currently have, however when a GM named Doug Whaley traded picks for Sammy Watkins, he never lived down that decision. Do you remember why Whaley made the trade? it was to bolster and support a young QB named EJ Manual.  This trade was done for the current young QB Josh Allen.   I hope this works out,  if not, it will be a disaster.  If it doesn't work,  will the fans criticize Beane like they did Whaley?

I don't see how you can see it that way.

First of all, the price is different.  Whaley used the NEXT year's 1st round pick and 4th round pick to trade up and draft Watkins.  Right off the bat, we gave less.

Second, when a team drafts a guy, even a great college receiver, there is always the question of whether his skills will translate to the NFL and when.

Diggs is an established pro with a track record at WR.

So I don't see how one can class it as "just as risky".  It is less risky because we used 1 1st round pick - not 2 - and we acquired a proven NFL WR, not talented potential.

This is rediculous. The draft value chart says we gave up three picks worth 2289 to get Watkins. 

And we gave up three total picks worth 883 to get Diggs. 

When you also consider we have an extra 5th and 6th round pick by trading guys we were going to cut anyways, this is a very solid deal. 

Edited by Motorin'

ummm well a track record of success despite being in a run heavy offense should settle those fears. He's a known factor at the NFL level THAT is the difference just on player alone. Then factor in the rest of the weapons - the oline- the quarterback completely different situation

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Completely disagree. This is a fantastic trade and Diggs is worth it at this time with a QB under rookie contract, one of if not the best defense in the league, not many holes to fill in the starting lineup and the weakest AFC East opponents we have seen in years. This is the time to go for it all and this moves says that. Beane is a mastermind.

Yes.

Big Curt your a hoot, 

Watkins = no QB at the time, team overall not in a good position owner/ coach/ GM wise, or in position to get to the post season. 

Diggs = QB in place, post season 2 out of the three past years, overall team in really good position owner/GM/Coach wise, and in a great position to go for the division crown and into the playoffs, and beyond...
  Frankly your inventing stuff to worry about.
   This is what healthy teams do to succeed, now go burn down a fatty and have a beer, you’ll feel much better..., really, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Risky yes? As risky as Watkins? No ***** way. Watkins was a 1st round pick plus a 4th to trade up 5 spots for a WR who never played a down in the NFL. Diggs is trading pick 22 for a prime WR without an injury history on a big but more than fair contract that is easy to get out of after two seasons. There is risk because you could have just drafted a WR at pick 22 and taken that chance. But I say who dares wins and you go for the proven WR while you have a window to win. 

Not really when you look at 22nd overall pick and do you believe that player would have contributed this season as WR?  I think no and other picks are usually a crap shoot , these picks usually do not turn into starters.  I think many people including myself looked at what Cardinals paid for Hopkins and prefered that deal but Houston's O'Brian most likely wanted him out of the conference.  End of the day this is a passing league and Diggs was the best available WR after Hopkins,  the benefits & advantages for the Bills right now is they get a true #1 who signed for the next 3-4 seasons are very reasonable salary.

Look, a trade is always somewhat of a risk. The Bills are currently in that zone between good and contender. If you take no risks, you don’t have a great chance to improve enough to reach the next level. They’re at a point where they should be taking calculated risks.