Deep dive into what makes Stefon Diggs so good (Article from 2018)

9 minutes ago, bbb said:

It seems to me that he hasn't been to any Pro Bowls, much less All Pro.  Where would you rank him in the league?  

I would have Diggs in my top 10 for the league.  I think when you talk about him and Minnesota you have to factor in Rudolph and Thielen a little when it comes to stats. I tried to name 10 guys I feel are better and I can’t. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, bbb said:

It seems to me that he hasn't been to any Pro Bowls, much less All Pro.  Where would you rank him in the league?  

That may be one factor in what makes Diggs attractive to Beane and McDermott.  He's a former 5th round pick who made good and worked his way to become a star, but he feels under-appreciated because he's never had those recognitions of pro-bowl, all-pro.  Being traded for a 1st round pick+ is powerful recognition for a former 5th round guy.  He may still be playing with a bit of a "chip" on his shoulder that he has stuff to prove about just how good he really is, as opposed to a star of stars like Nuk or a guy who's already been traded for a 1st 2x in Cooper.

Whether this is a great move or a bad move is really going to depend upon what kind of relationship he builds with Allen and the other WR, but I can't quarrel with getting a legit, proven top-20 WR for essentially a minor 1st round tradeup (#22 + a fifth, a sixth, and next year's 4th which folks tell me equates to a 5th this year). 

I didn't think Beane would do it, and I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best season is 1130 yards.This was good for 17th in the league and right behind Robert Woods and a bit above John Brown. 

Dont get me wrong I do think he makes this team better. But to talk about him like he is a top 5 WR seems aggressive. Would love to see the Allen / Diggs connection lead to him becoming that but I dont think he is at that level yet. 

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Best season is 1130 yards.This was good for 17th in the league and right behind Robert Woods and a bit above John Brown. 

Dont get me wrong I do think he makes this team better. But to talk about him like he is a top 5 WR seems aggressive. Would love to see the Allen / Diggs connection lead to him becoming that but I dont think he is at that level yet. 

Yea he isn't a top 5 overall receiver and he isn't in that little elite group. As for his yardage - you have to remember he splits targets with Theilen and that affects the numbers. 

He is a top 5 route runner though. At that particular skill he is elite. I have him in the second group in the league after the 5 or 6 elite guys somewhere in that 8-12 range. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That may be one factor in what makes Diggs attractive to Beane and McDermott.  He's a former 5th round pick who made good and worked his way to become a star, but he feels under-appreciated because he's never had those recognitions of pro-bowl, all-pro.  Being traded for a 1st round pick+ is powerful recognition for a former 5th round guy.  He may still be playing with a bit of a "chip" on his shoulder that he has stuff to prove about just how good he really is, as opposed to a star of stars like Nuk or a guy who's already been traded for a 1st 2x in Cooper.

Whether this is a great move or a bad move is really going to depend upon what kind of relationship he builds with Allen and the other WR, but I can't quarrel with getting a legit, proven top-20 WR for essentially a minor 1st round tradeup (#22 + a fifth, a sixth, and next year's 4th which folks tell me equates to a 5th this year). 

I didn't think Beane would do it, and I was wrong.

He was also a rare five-star recruit out of HS. He had terrible QBs at Maryland and some injuries while there, so he ended up being underdrafted.

25 minutes ago, ngbills said:

1130 yards on 66 catches. 17.9avg!

And that is in a run heavy offense that also featured Theilan and Rudolph.

Edited by Chicken Boo

14 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Why was Diggs unhappy in Minnesota?

“Ahead of last year’s trade deadline, there were murmurs of Diggs’ unhappiness and the Vikings responded by making him the primary target. There are times he gets open, doesn’t get the ball and reacts demonstratively. I think a lot of his frustration stems from wanting to be an impact player with a quarterback who targets him as often as he gets open. Kirk Cousins doesn’t see the whole field at times, which clearly frustrated Diggs, and the Vikings’ run-heavy offense probably didn’t help either. Will things get better with Allen? I think the Bills and Diggs will have a bit of a grace period to find their chemistry in 2020.” Buscaglia from the Athletic answered my question.

Edited by chris heff

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

“Ahead of last year’s trade deadline, there were murmurs of Diggs’ unhappiness and the Vikings responded by making him the primary target. There are times he gets open, doesn’t get the ball and reacts demonstratively. I think a lot of his frustration stems from wanting to be an impact player with a quarterback who targets him as often as he gets open. Kirk Cousins doesn’t see the whole field at times, which clearly frustrated Diggs, and the Vikings’ run-heavy offense probably didn’t help either. Will things get better with Allen? I think the Bills and Diggs will have a bit of a grace period to find their chemistry in 2020.” Buscaglia from the Athletic answered my question.

Going to be interesting. Bills WR's have shown some frustration in games with Allen. 

44 minutes ago, ngbills said:

2nd in the NFL in yards per target in 2019.

He’s what we need.

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Going to be interesting. Bills WR's have shown some frustration in games with Allen. 

Link?

• Haha (+1) 1