R Cobb to Hou 3yrs $27M

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The problem isn't how good Houston was in 2019.  They were definitely among the best teams in the AFC last year. 

The problem is how good these moves are setting them up for 2020 and beyond.

In all my years watching the NFL, I haven't seen anyone consistently get LESS VALUE in trades that Bill O'Brien.

Trading away Jadeveon Clowney was fine.  Doing it for Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin and a 3rd Round Pick was downright highway robbery for Seattle.

Trading for Laremy Tunsil was a good move for his young QB.  Spending two 1st Rounders and a 2nd Rounder was a ridiculous over-payment.

And I refuse to believe that Arizona's deal was the best he could get for DeAndre Hopkins.  Absolutely no way.  And I'm not sure why he wanted David Johnson so badly, when he already traded away a 3rd Rounder for Duke Johnson.

When everything is added together, the Texans roster is no better than before O'Brien started making moves.  One could certainly argue it's worse.  Yet the team is in deeper trouble with the salary cap, and has wiped out a good chunk of its draft capital for the next two seasons.

I get it, trust me man, I do.  I would be furious if I were a HOU fan.  But, we've been saying the same things about him for a few years now (as he was de facto GM before it became official) and their team is still good year in and year out.  I keep waiting for the team to collapse, but they don't.  Maybe this will be the year they do, I don't know, but I'm not going to proclaim it in March.

7 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I get it, trust me man, I do.  I would be furious if I were a HOU fan.  But, we've been saying the same things about him for a few years now (as he was de facto GM before it became official) and their team is still good year in and year out.  I keep waiting for the team to collapse, but they don't.  Maybe this will be the year they do, I don't know, but I'm not going to proclaim it in March.

The Texans only fired Brian Gaine last June.  So Bill O'Brien has been the GM for roughly 9 months.

Most of that was during the actual season, so this will be his first full offseason in control of the roster.  Free agency, draft and all.

Not sure why you would have been expecting a collapse for "a few years." 

Until recently, I thought most fans viewed Houston as an up-and-coming team, with one of the NFL's premier young QBs.

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They say Hopkins and him had beef and argued a lot on the sidelines. But the compensation is the biggest joke in all of football. This goes down as one of the worst trades in history. 

A terrible trade?  Oh yeah.  It should be mentioned on worst ever trade lists.  But the funniest thing is that it’s not even his personal worst with the Texans.  BOB’s handling of Clowney was to franchise him, then trade him to Seattle for a late third round pick plus two backup LBs while picking up half of his salary.  It’s going to be tough to top that. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think BOB can coach. I don't think he is the best coach in the league but he can coach. He is a dreadful GM. 

Agreed.   It's not that he traded Hopkins as it is that he traded him away for next to nothing: a high priced, washed-up RB and a second rounder.  Hopkins should have garnered at least a first rounder plus another pick/player even from the Cards.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think BOB can coach. I don't think he is the best coach in the league but he can coach. He is a dreadful GM. 

He is decent. I don’t think this move of trading Hopkins and then bringing in Cobb is going to be received well by Texan players. Could be wrong, but players will not like the message that was just sent by Bill O’BRIEN 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

That one, the Tunsil trade, Duke Johnson trade, clowney trade, he’s destroyed that team. 
They had the best core of young players in the league and he gave it all away on top of all their draft picks and has nothing to show for it but an injured watt, Whitney Mercury’s, a soon the be declining dead Watson, and David Johnson. I can’t believe he has a job. 

...and he'll probably get extended...…….

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

The Texans only fired Brian Gaine last June.  So Bill O'Brien has been the GM for roughly 9 months.

Most of that was during the actual season, so this will be his first full offseason in control of the roster.  Free agency, draft and all.

Not sure why you would have been expecting a collapse for "a few years." 

Until recently, I thought most fans viewed Houston as an up-and-coming team, with one of the NFL's premier young QBs.

Everyone knows that O'Brien was actually the GM during that period, they just made it official by getting rid of the figure head.  Thus, the de facto GM statement.