Bills Sign Mario Addison on a 3 year deal

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Apparently according to Panther fans he ages like fine whine. Look at the comments, everyone agrees. Wow , he was beloved in Car. We got a potential great DE. 

I confirm, i used to watch some panthers game and he's got almost everything you want in a DE, he's 32 yes but i think that he's still really solid and will contribute immediately in the dline.

I think Bills fans are having trouble adjusting to the new state of the franchise. These are no longer the days where veterans are coming to WNY for an easy last payday before heading into retirement. These are now the days where guys see it as a chance to play for a championship! (My two cents.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think Bills fans are having trouble adjusting to the new state of the franchise. These are no longer the days where veterans are coming to WNY for an easy last payday before heading into retirement. These are now the days where guys see it as a chance to play for a championship! (My two cents.)

Well said i keep saying that all around me, i think that a lot players around that league saw that we’re able to land some really good players and like you notified well they’ll want to come here to compete !

Edited by Smitty75

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

Bills aren't cutting Murphy until they find another edge rusher that they believe can outplay him.

Period.

That would be Addison.  Jefferson is the Shaq replacement.   Of the new guys, who sits so you can play a below average Murphy?

1 hour ago, GG said:

That would be Addison.  Jefferson is the Shaq replacement.   Of the new guys, who sits so you can play a below average Murphy?

Possibly but I don't think so.  I think Jefferson will be utilized in a much more hybrid role.  He is not a true edge rusher and I do not foresee him playing as an edge rusher on pass rushing packages but more so in the interior.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Possibly but I don't think so.  I think Jefferson will be utilized in a much more hybrid role.  He is not a true edge rusher and I do not foresee him playing as an edge rusher on pass rushing packages but more so in the interior.

Murphy is a true edge rusher in name only.   You won't sit Hughes or Addison in pass rush situations to play Murphy.  Murphy now drops into Shaq's role as the rotation piece.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Murphy is a true edge rusher in name only.   You won't sit Hughes or Addison in pass rush situations to play Murphy.  Murphy now drops into Shaq's role as the rotation piece.

Yes, I agree with that....Well, that Addison and Hughes will be the Edge Rushers...But I don't see them cutting Murphy to save money...It's better to have the depth if you don't have to cut the player...So I don't see them shedding talent for salary cap purposes because there is no need for them to cut him due to that this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Magox said:

THis D line is looking REALLY good....both in starters AND backups

Fills a need, very productive, knows the scheme, market rate.

Age is a major concern for me. 33 in September.

Those who wanted Calais Campbell or Everson Griffen should be happy. Addison is right there.

I'm not sure that the DL additions (Addison/Butler/Jefferson) offset the losses (Lawson/Phillips/Liguet) when the $ is basically the same or more. If I do a 3/30 deal I'm inclined to go with the younger guy, but pass rushers do tend to have mileage.

Lawson got better each year and is entering his prime. His statistical track is actually is very close to Addison's, but he is 25. Both are good run defenders and Addison didn't break 6.5 sacks until year 7. Lawson is entering year 5.

Butler was a bust until his contract year. Same could be said for Phillips, Phillips production was better.

Jefferson had 59 tackles and 7.5 sacks in 4 years.

Good back fill, maybe better against the run, but on the fence for the losses and cost.

Edited by RocCityRoller

9 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Fills a need, very productive, knows the scheme, market rate.

Age is a major concern for me. 33 in September.

Those who wanted Calais Campbell or Everson Griffen should be happy. Addison is right there.

I'm not sure that the DL additions (Addison/Butler/Jefferson) offset the losses (Lawson/Phillips/Liguet) when the $ is basically the same or more. If I do a 3/30 deal I'm inclined to go with the younger guy, but pass rushers do tend to have mileage.

Lawson got better each year and is entering his prime. His statistical track is actually is very close to Addison's, but he is 25. Both are good run defenders and Addison didn't break 6.5 sacks until year 7. Lawson is entering year 5.

Butler was a bust until his contract year. Same could be said for Phillips, Phillips production was better.

Jefferson had 59 tackles and 7.5 sacks in 4 years.

Good back fill, maybe better against the run, but on the fence for the losses and cost.

Did you actually just include Liuget as a "loss?"  That's funny.

Lawson has youth, but he has not shown that he will ever provide the sort of pass rush Addison brings.  They are different types of players -- Lawson wins with power, while Addison has speed.  At worst for the Bills it's a push, but I think most would give the Bills the nod here.  Phillips was, to me, an enigma -- seemed to be dominant for stretches (Titans) but disappeared far too often.  Jefferson and Butler more than make up for his departure.

In my opinion the Bills' DL is absolutely better today than it was on Sunday -- and Beane isn't done.

14 hours ago, Magox said:

Yes, I agree with that....Well, that Addison and Hughes will be the Edge Rushers...But I don't see them cutting Murphy to save money...It's better to have the depth if you don't have to cut the player...So I don't see them shedding talent for salary cap purposes because there is no need for them to cut him due to that this year.

I wouldn’t put Murphy and talent in the same sentence , I would cut Murphy and use more the rookie we drafted last year in the 7th round ( sorry I can’t remember his name ) 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Our defensive line is incredibly deep...literally we can roll out 2 sets of DLine's with almost no drop off and mix and match to bring special packages...it's going to be crazy.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2