Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

From a Vikings article on the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1719861/2020/04/02/vikings-free-agency-review-nine-takeaways/

So now that we’re home in the East Metro, here are nine thoughts on where things stand for the Vikings with the draft looming later this month.

1. The Vikings are really going to miss Diggs

The Vikings got a great return for Stefon Diggs. They added a first-round pick and other selections in a draft that’s deep on wide receivers. Diggs wasn’t happy in Minnesota. And the Vikings still got more for Diggs than the Texans did for DeAndre Hopkins. They also made a low-risk signing in Tajae Sharpe to add depth to the position. On paper, they’ve done everything right so far, though there’s work still to do.

And yet, as the open roads wound through Indiana, I couldn’t help but think about how often Diggs saved the Vikings in big moments last season.

When they needed to close out a high-scoring game in Detroit, Kirk Cousins hit Diggs for a deep, game-clinching reception. When they looked buried at halftime in a needed home game against the Broncos, Diggs had the monster second half to help dig them out. When they needed a third-down conversion in New Orleans, Cousins hit Diggs.

In many ways, Diggs was the perfect kind of receiver for Cousins. He’s an excellent route runner, perhaps the best in the league, and can get separation that few other wide receivers can. Cousins often needs separation from receivers before he’s willing to throw the ball. Of course, that also contributed to the downfall in their relationship. Diggs wanted Cousins to give him a chance more and felt he had the track record to deserve those opportunities. But that’s not in Cousins’ DNA. He doesn’t throw the ball if the receiver isn’t open.

Even if the Vikings land a really good receiver in the draft, there’s going to be no replacing what Diggs meant to the team’s offense. Given Diggs’ feelings, it was the right move to trade him and they got a good price for the swap.

But that doesn’t change the fact that the 2020 offense is really going to miss Diggs.

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Every Viking fan I've encountered is upset about the trade and already missing Diggs.

A Viking fan came to the Bills subreddit this morning and posted this with the title:

Vikings fan, you guys have a lot to look forward to. Here's Diggs taking on the entire Giant's secondary.

ur90bl00ijq41.gif

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, Thielen is going to find out, like JuJu Smith-Schuster did last year, that it's harder being the #1 guy without a true #1 across from you.

Sounds like he already knows it.

Adam Thielen: Stefon Diggs trade was a bummer

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/03/adam-thielen-stefon-diggs-trade-was-a-bummer/

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, Thielen is going to find out, like JuJu Smith-Schuster did last year, that it's harder being the #1 guy without a true #1 across from you.

Yep.  Peerless Price found that out, too.

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Just Posted in its own thread too, thanks 

I didn't see the separate thread, but if you haven't read the article, I'd recommend it.   

What I liked about it was not so much about Diggs but about McBeane.   Over and over and over again we hear the same thing about Bills players.   Relentless competitor, intense practice ethic, team above all else.   

The Bills will figure out how to manage his vocal nature.   They want his intensity.   They want a locker room full of intensity.  

• 1 month later...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/marcus-williams-new-orleans-saints-5-toughest

The 5 Toughest Players I’ve Ever Faced

BY MARCUS WILLIAMS

And so, here are my five toughest offensive players.

1. Stefon Diggs, WR, Bills, and 2. Adam Thielen, WR, Vikings

It had to be these two, right? We’ve played the Vikings four times in my three years in New Orleans — twice in the playoffs — and we’ve only beaten them once. And even in that game they both went for over 100 yards. I know Diggs is in Buffalo now, but I still think of these guys as a pair.

Both Thielen and Diggs are explosive, and they can also get open. They each have a wide catch radius. If the ball’s coming their way they’re going to get their hands on it … and then probably pull it in.

And, just in general, they like to scramble. When they get out in those scramble rules — when things are breaking down and they come out of their routes — they attack the ball. They go back to get it. They’re tough no matter what they’re doing.

• Like (+1) 1