Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

He didn't hand the ball to Thurman (or KD) enough the entire game.  Giants defense beat the Bills offense, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

You are talking about a concept, a strategy. Maybe if he handed it off, things would have been different. We don't know what difference. 

I'm pointing to a single moment in the game that cost them, irrespective of what strategic or tactical plans and decisions took place. There are TWO glaring game changing plays. Obviously Norwood's missed FG and the blown 3rd and very long with multiple missed tackles. 

Norwood's FG was far from a gimme, but if you want to put the blame on him, then I understand.  Ingram's run was INEXCUSABLE for a SB defense, IMO.  But if either of those plays is reversed, then the Bills likely win. Certainly in one case.

You can stick JK's arrogance in the long line of "philosophical" causes with the others. Marv was too lax. The players partied too much the night before. Parcells was a "genius". Cory had a terrible game plan. It was Rob Johnson's fault. (Oh, wait, I may have the games mixed up.)  The fact is, no matter about any of that. If either one of those plays is different, the Bills win the game. I say pick one, or both. But for my simoleons, the D blew the game on that one play.

Simoleon?  Semolian? How the hell do you spell it?

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We lost that super bowl because the bills were out partying the night before

And yet the Raiders partied famously before their SBs in the 70’s and 80’s, but they crushed it in the games. Sorry, but the Bills lost because they couldn’t make a tackle to save their lives on D combined with not running the ball enough on offense. Not because of partying. 

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

He didn't hand the ball to Thurman (or KD) enough the entire game.  Giants defense beat the Bills offense, not the other way around.

Eh, the Giants had the ball for over 40 minutes. The Bills D had a very bad day at the office, and the game was lost. The Bills offense scored about the same amount of points as they did in their week 14 meeting at the Giants. That game was a Bills victory. 

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They lost that SB and the other three because they were 5 years too late in acquiring Ted Washington.

If the Bills had Big Ted during the SB years, we are talking about the 90's Bills in a whole different light.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, BringBackFergy said:

When?

On 3/24/2020 at 8:33 PM, Cripple Creek said:

In the coming days I suspect.

This is actually mildly concerning to me. In this day and age and the mentality of the WR position in the  NFL, I am actually surprised he hasn’t mentioned his new home directly on social media. Still posts almost daily, but nothing really about being pumped to be a Bill.

Maybe I am just anxious from the quarantine. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

They lost that SB and the other three because they were 5 years too late in acquiring Ted Washington.

If the Bills had Big Ted during the SB years, we are talking about the 90's Bills in a whole different light.

Yep, they loved Washington coming out of Louisville in ‘91. Polian miscalculated by not moving up and big Ted went to San Francisco the pick before Buffalo’s. One of Polians few errors in his Bills tenure, but a key one. 

On 3/25/2020 at 12:27 AM, John from Riverside said:

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Polian loved him some Jeff Wright.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep, they loved Washington coming out of Louisville in ‘91. Polian miscalculated by not moving up and big Ted went to San Francisco the pick before Buffalo’s. One of Polians few errors in his Bills tenure, but a key one. 

So, this is what I'm talking about, CC. Everybody has a theory. Many people (myself included) can tell you how the outcome of each of the four SB games would/could/should have been different IF---pick your theory,

But I'm talking about one play, given the point in time in the game.

I think you dig.

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

So, this is what I'm talking about, CC. Everybody has a theory. Many people (myself included) can tell you how the outcome of each of the four SB games would/could/should have been different IF---pick your theory,

But I'm talking about one play, given the point in time in the game.

I think you dig.

You are correct, Sir.

The ‘what if’s’ are plenty in this game, from the sack/safety to more use of the run. But the disaster play you’re staunchly defending came on the Giants final drive of the game -a long, time consuming drive to take the lead back. Stop them here and it’s 4th & a mile or at best a very long FG, which still wouldn’t give them the lead. Scoring the eventual TD left us 2 minutes with no time outs to try to reach their 30 for a long winning PK.

T’was the play of the game. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, njbuff said:

Thank you 1,000 times!!!!! The reason this happened was because Marv Levy had way too much input to the draft, even as a coach.

For more than 20 years I have been telling you folks that emphasis on defensive backs was killing our team. Here is the Bills draft in 1991, the year before Ted went 1 freaking pick in front of us:

1991 1 1 26 26 Henry Jones DB Illinois
  2 2 27 54 Phil Hansen DE North Dakota State
  3 3 27 82 Darryl Wren DB Pittsburg State (KS)
  4 5 27 138 Shawn Wilbourn DB Long Beach State
  5 6 27 166 Millard Hamilton WR Clark
  6 7 27 194 Amir Rasul RB Florida A&M
  7 8 27 222 Brad Lamb WR Anderson
  8 9 26 249 Mark Maddox LB Northern Michigan
  9 10 27 277 Tony DeLorenzo G New Mexico State
  10 11 27 305 Dean Kirkland G Washington
  11 12 27 333 Stephen Clark TE Texas
Edited by Bill from NYC

IF Polian wasnt so in love with Wright

IF Marv had just implemented a curfew

IF Kelly hands off a few more times

IF Talley and the D make 1 more 3rd down stop and get off the field

IF our leading scorer and clutch kicker hooks it just a few feet more to the left

So many small factors, and if any single one of them had gone differently, so does history. But here we are...

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thank you 1,000 times!!!!! The reason this happened was because Marv Levy had way too much input to the draft, even as a coach.

For more than 20 years I have been telling you folks that emphasis on defensive backs was killing our team. Here is the Bills draft in 1991, the year before Ted went 1 freaking pick in front of us:

1991 1 1 26 26 Henry Jones DB Illinois
  2 2 27 54 Phil Hansen DE North Dakota State
  3 3 27 82 Darryl Wren DB Pittsburg State (KS)
  4 5 27 138 Shawn Wilbourn DB Long Beach State
  5 6 27 166 Millard Hamilton WR Clark
  6 7 27 194 Amir Rasul RB Florida A&M
  7 8 27 222 Brad Lamb WR Anderson
  8 9 26 249 Mark Maddox LB Northern Michigan
  9 10 27 277 Tony DeLorenzo G New Mexico State
  10 11 27 305 Dean Kirkland G Washington
  11 12 27 333 Stephen Clark TE Texas

Bill, You have this perplexing obsessive aversion to drafting DBs. I don't understand it. You have for many years blamed it for the  limitation of our rosters. Do you know one coach who values DBs and is not reluctant to use high round picks for his team? Bill Belichick, arguably the most successful coach/GM in modern football whose specialty is defense. Stephon Gilmore was a high first round pick for the Bills. He played well for us. When he became a free agent the organization that coveted him and paid him a bonanza salary was New England. Since he has joined that franchise he has been an instrumental player for their many playoff and SB teams.

I agree with you that Levy as a somewhat GM and as a coach when involved in personnel decisions wasn't always wise in personnel decisions. But his mistakes related to evaluating players in general and assembling a roster- - - not his over-emphasis on favoring DBs. High caliber DBs in today's NFL spread passing game and qb protecting league are more valuable as ever. 

Sean McDermott's coaching background is from the defensive side of the ball. Most people would rate his short tenure with the Bills as a success. His first draft pick as a HC and basically acting GM was a DB, Tre White. Without question he has been one of our best players not only on defense but on the roster. The point is that you might be making a mistake in diminishing the importance of the position. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Bill, You have this perplexing obsessive aversion to drafting DBs. I don't understand it. You have for many years blamed it for the  limitation of our rosters. Do you know one coach who values DBs and is not reluctant to use high round picks for his team? Bill Belichick, arguably the most successful coach/GM in modern football whose specialty is defense.

This is true. Look at where Bill has paid guys in the last decade. He paid Revis, he consistently pays McCourty and he paid Gilmore (who Bill from NYC never thought was much good but is the best corner in the NFL and was a top 10 corner when he was here).

Where he does and always has had a point was the Bills drafted corners in the first, let them play out their rookie deal, walk, and then repeated the cycle. I do think when you look back at it we probably took too many DBs high in the draft given that we were constantly drafting top 10. Picking Stephon Gilmore or Tre'davious White? There is no argument against that they were both elite corner prospects. Picking Leodis McKelvin or Donte Whitner in the top 10? Not so smart.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yea also said he is "In the Mafia now" wants to jump through "at least 3 tables" and "John Brown is a baller, he has been underrated since he was in Arizona" and he "loves" Beasley who he described as "surgical."

Did not sound like a man who isn't pleased to be a Bill.

• Like (+1) 6