Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

HOW THE DIGGS DEAL HAPPENED SO FAST

I know we covered it

earlier in the week, but the trade of Stefon Diggs from Minnesota to Buffalo continues to fascinate me. So here’s some more on the deal that sent Diggs to the Bills, packaged with a seventh-round pick, for first-, fifth- and sixth-rounders in this year’s draft, and a fourth-round pick in 2021.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/23/tampa-bay-buccaneers-scout-tom-brady-diggs-hopkins-trades

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If you could somehow trade back into the 1st to get Ruggs would you? I’m guessing we would have to trade up to 16

No.  I don't think they should play with any more assets from the 2021 draft and to trade into the first round where it would be necessary to get to (14-17) would be prohibitive.  Also, who does he play over?  Brown?  Beasley?  If Beane felt that strongly about Ruggs he wouldn't have traded for Diggs.  Bills should draft a guy they can develop slowly, but can contribute on Special Teams too: Claypool, Pittman come to mind.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really good read that. Not just on the Diggs deal but on the reality of the situation with DHop in Houston and on the way the Buccs arrived at the decision to sign Tom Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1

Breer’s article states that Hopkins is insisting on more money being added to his existing deal (NOT an extension), and that he doesn’t practice during the week.  Based on all of that (which Gaine certainly would be privy to), I can understand why the Texans’ compensation wasn’t higher and why the Bills didn’t pounce.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Some interesting insight on why the Hopkins return was so low as well.

yeah thought this was interesting 

There was friction with Hopkins inside the organization, and really it had everything to do with Monday-to-Saturday. On Sundays, he was exemplary. The rest of the week, his practice habits (he didn’t practice much at all) became a problem, and because he was such a big star he had the ability to carry teammates in the wrong direction—guys who might not be able to turn it on come game day as easily as he could.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/23/report-stefon-diggs-tweet-got-ball-rolling-on-trade/?partner=Yahoo

When Stefon Diggs tweeted “it’s time for a new beginning” and followed it up with another tweet saying “something’s going to happen” last Monday, it was seen by some as a sign that Diggs knew a trade was about to go down.

According to a report from Albert Breer of SI.com, however, it was actually the other way around. Breer reports that Diggs’ first tweet led to teams calling the Vikings to see about a deal for the wideout.

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Breer’s article states that Hopkins is insisting on more money being added to his existing deal (NOT an extension), and that he doesn’t practice during the week.  Based on all of that (which Gaine certainly would be privy to), I can understand why the Texans’ compensation wasn’t higher and why the Bills didn’t pounce.

Not practicing during the week?  WTF? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They also brought up a good point which is the demand for new money drove his compensation down, a la AB last year, with the Steelers getting just a 3rd and 5th rounder for him.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 2:12 PM, Motorin' said:

Yeah man, and Jeff Wright. An undersized NT in a 3-4 defense. If we would have had a Ted Washington anchoring that D-line we would have won at least the first one. 

All we needed to do win the first SB was to hand the ball the Thurman.  They played a 3-2 defense with extra DB's in a zone to take away deep balls and the crossing routes.

We ran all over them but it was just too late … our offensive coaches did not call a good game at all.   It was easy to run out of the K-gun and we could have forced the Giants go back to their 3-4 which would of then opened up the passing lanes.  

We gave up 20 points.  Our offense was never on the field and our defense was tired and worn.  That was a contributor to all the missed tackles in the 3rd and 4th quarter. 

Blaming Jeff Wright is revisionist history and incorrect.  We played 90% of the game exactly they way they wanted us to.  We had the better team but Parcells and Bellichek completely outcoached our staff.  That is why we lost.

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1