Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

https://theathletic.com/1680825/2020/03/17/stefon-diggs-trade-analysis-vikings-take-a-big-swing-now-can-they-make-it-count/ (sub req.)

The biggest reason his volume numbers don’t match up with the top receivers in the NFL is that the Vikings simply didn’t give him the same amount of opportunities to accumulate those yards.

The Vikings ranked 30th in total passing attempts in 2019. When accounting for the number of receiving routes Diggs actually ran, it turns out he was one of the two most productive receivers in the NFL, and nearly top 10 after penalizing his numbers for issues with fumbles and turnovers — an issue that likely won’t crop up too many times again given his career history.

Over the past two years when Cousins threw to Diggs — including the playoffs — he generated 9.31 adjusted yards per attempt, which would have been the highest mark in 2019 of any passer with over 300 passing attempts. When throwing to any other target, he averaged 7.45 adjusted yards per attempt, good for 11th in the NFL in 2019.

While high-level receivers can regularly generate those kinds of splits, even with great quarterbacks, it really drives home the point that Diggs drove the offense, especially when Adam Thielen was injured for much of 2019.

Diggs does quite a bit. As an excellent route-runner, high-level contested-catch receiver and persistent red zone threat. Replacing that will be difficult, even with a pair of first-round picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

Doug Whaley was GM then, Beane has earned my trust in spades. He seems to have a clue, I truly believe the Bills have one of the top 2-3 FO in the league now.

Excellent point and I agree wholeheartedly. Still just a tad gunshy I guess even though I've been on the McBeane bandwagon since the start. 

21 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

No fear Sloan, it's going to be all right.

Are you a JFK grad?

No but my wife is a JFK grad. I graduated from a Mississippi high school named for a Polish general (Kosciusko-they dropped the "z"). What are the odds I'd wind up married to a Polish woman and living in a Polish community? (Rhetorical question since I'm here LOL) 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Serious question. What picks bother you and what would you suggest we do we them?

Just a bit nervous about giving up 1st round although I fully appreciate Diggs' past accomplishments and his potential for future contributions. I'm glad the Bills got him.

As stated elsewhere in this thread I'm still gunshy after the Watkins debacle. 

21 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Here’s an upside: given how much money Buffalo is spending on extensions and new contracts, and assuming that they have to pay Allen QB1 money in 2 years, won’t it be kind of fortunate that they don’t have a 1st round pick looking for top-end money 4 years from now?

Yes it is! A factor I didn't consider. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SloanBillsFan said:

Just a bit nervous about giving up 1st round although I fully appreciate Diggs' past accomplishments and his potential for future contributions. I'm glad the Bills got him.

I think people get nervous because they look back to the Watkins trade but this really is that.

- Diggs is verified good.

- Diggs is in his prime

- We didnt give up nearly as much

Is it a high price tag?  Yeah when you consider this was a "WR draft" but BECAUSE it is a WR draft we could also use our 2nd round pick and still get someone good.

My 2nd rounder would be Chase Claypool........put that beast on the field along with all this speed.....continue to bring along Knox at TE........

• Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s officially Official! Welcome to Buffalo Stefon Diggs!

Well, unofficially official anyway.

It says Bills “reportedly” trade for Diggs, “reportedly” giving up some picks. You know, if the reports from media are true... ?

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, SloanBillsFan said:

Yes it is! A factor I didn't consider. 

I think we're getting an elite WR just going into his prime. He seems like a terrific fit all around. :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

Bottom line is Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs weren’t going to make it to pick #22. Reports out now saying the Bills hated Tee Higgins’ pro day and Shenault’s injury history is terrifying. 

Based on the standard draft value chart, we traded the equivalent of pick #18 for Diggs who is just 26, on a team-friendly contract for 4 years, and is a proven star and elite route runner in the league. 

Absolute win for us and another example of Beane’s wizardry. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Bottom line is Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs weren’t going to make it to pick #22. Reports out now saying the Bills hated Tee Higgins’ pro day and Shenault’s injury history is terrifying. 

Based on the standard draft value chart, we traded the equivalent of pick #18 for Diggs who is just 26, on a team-friendly contract for 4 years, and is a proven star and elite route runner in the league. 

Absolute win for us and another example of Beane’s wizardry. 

Actually the total points (836.6) don't even get you to pick 20 (850) as the 4th rounder next year is equivalent to the Bills' spot in the 5th round this year. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2