Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

At 22 who is the dynamic edge?  Who is the bookend OT.  The top Wrs will surely be gone, the versitle hybrid defenders will be gone.  For a while now I thought 22 was really no mans land.  Basiclly, paying rd 1 money for a day 2 player. 

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks to all who replied.     

And I know that Beane said they don't have enough room on the roster for seven draft picks to make it, but he was talking about the roster.   

And I'm not arguing that they paid too much for Diggs.   I agree that a guy like Diggs is potentially valuable enough that the stuff you throw in on the back end of the trade isn't too important.   If Diggs works out, the positives on the team will way outweigh whatever a couple of sixth round picks will do for you.  

But those picks DO matter.   You need new players every year, and the best of the crop go in the draft.   That was point.  

And Alpha, the math isn't wrong.   Overall, on average, each team needs 10 or 15 new guys each season for the season, not camp.  That's 10 or 15 guys coming out of college.   More some years, fewer others, but on average you need a bunch.   Most of them may never get beyond the practice squad, but you need them.   And if year after year your opponents are drafting more and you're signing more undrafted free agents, over time, they're going to have better talent than you.  It's simple logic.

But as I said, I don't think there's much point in arguing about whether throwing in one or two of those picks worth it.   To suggest the Bills overpaid because they added those picks doesn't make a ton of sense.   The deal is pretty much Diggs for a first and change.   

There is very little difference whatsoever, talent wise, between a 6th or 7th rounder and any of the top 100-200 UDFA not to mention street free agents. The talent on the Bills 2020 team with one less 5th and 6th but an extra 7th will be all but imperceptible. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Wait a minute.  He’s been a Bill for less than 24 hours and there have yet to be any contract discussions?  Go figure.  

Top notch reporting right there. 

I think hes just referencing the media saying Diggs is getting a new contract. 

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

At 22 who is the dynamic edge?  Who is the bookend OT.  The top Wrs will surely be gone, the versitle hybrid defenders will be gone.  For a while now I thought 22 was really no mans land.  Basiclly, paying rd 1 money for a day 2 player. 

Prior to this trade there was a ton of talk about how loaded of a draft this is...

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I wish the media would shut up about it, makes me worry they'll give him ideas.

You don't think Diggs and his agent have already thought about this?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

If Allen can't perform with the tools he has now, this trade might really haunt us.

We thought it was bad trading a #1 to move up for Watkins, but this draft is loaded with WR's, and we just gave away a ton of pics for one (albeit a very good one).

I'm cautiously optimistic, just hoping our easy schedule last year is understood in proper context by the coaching staff.

We traded 2 #1's and a 4th for Watkins. The #9 pick is worth more than a #22 + a 4th and 5th. 

In fact, the draft value of the 3 picks we gave up for Watkins is more than double the value of the picks we gave up for Diggs.

Edited by Motorin'

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I'm not sure what Wawrow's point is here.  Digg's is under contract for 4 more years?  Why before he has done one thing in a Bills uniform?

Is he getting at an extension to lower the cap hit/year?

As was mentioned upstream, people were saying he's getting a new deal from the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

I'm not sure what Wawrow's point is here.  Digg's is under contract for 4 more years?  Why before he has done one thing in a Bills uniform?

Is he getting at an extension to lower the cap hit/year?

probably trying to get out in front of the he will be looking for new money BS. With Hopkins looking for a raise from his trade, logic says Diggs will be due more $$ as well...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

probably trying to get out in front of the he will be looking for new money BS. With Hopkins looking for a raise from his trade, logic says Diggs will be due more $$ as well...

How many years left on the Hopkins deal? Diggs has a big FOUR years left, too soon for much leverage. Hopkins literally might be looking for double what Diggs will be making after the Cooper deal. Keep that in mind when you consider the trade compensation! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

The trick is finding those values and getting them into the right sytem. Who do you see projected in the 5th round this year that will become a star?

Hill is also not a fair comparison in that his draft value was reduced by his DV issues.

Quartney David WR Texas A&M

37 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Wow. 50 pages in and I never thought so many people would be so enamored in and attached to the speculative value of draft picks, especially lower round draft picks. Mystery-box syndrome seems to be endemic around here. 

Imagine if another AFC team had made the trade with the same round compensation. The cries of “ why weren’t the Bills in on this ? “ would be deafening. 

• Like (+1) 4