Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

If Allen can't perform with the tools he has now, this trade might really haunt us.

We thought it was bad trading a #1 to move up for Watkins, but this draft is loaded with WR's, and we just gave away a ton of pics for one (albeit a very good one).

I'm cautiously optimistic, just hoping our easy schedule last year is understood in proper context by the coaching staff.

I feel like this is different from watkins

qe know what we are getting

it didn’t cost as much

9 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I think the Bills are about done with big signings after Poyers extension.

With Dawkins, White and Milano coming up next year they are going to need about 40-45 mil between those three.

Well, I'm no capologist at all, but in terms of talent on the roster the Bills are getting to the point where next season we're going to start seeing guys cut as cap casualties, or free agents allowed to sign elsewhere.   We already saw Philips and Shaq go, and that's going to become the norm.   That's what happened in New England for years.   

Having said that, I have no idea if the Bills are done yet.   Maybe with big signings as you say, and all that will be left will be the $2-3 million one-year deals that dribble in over the next few months.  

This trade is expensive because the only sport i currently have.... is dreaming about what we would have spent the first pick on.

Last mock i saw (moving the chains) had us picking up Lamb at #22

more i think about it the more i like it.

Lamb would need time to get to NFL speed, Diggs wont and he has 4 years of control with a good price.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Im good with that...Youre giving away possible "fringe" starter type picks  and a first..and YOU ARE NOT getting a WR of Diggs caliber at #22...and if you traded up to get one what would that have cost you?? probably about what you gave up in that trade OR MORE id we meant WAY up to get a guy possible of Diggs caliber because for that you have to get into the top 10.

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

If Allen can't perform with the tools he has now, this trade might really haunt us.

We thought it was bad trading a #1 to move up for Watkins, but this draft is loaded with WR's, and we just gave away a ton of pics for one (albeit a very good one).

I'm cautiously optimistic, just hoping our easy schedule last year is understood in proper context by the coaching staff.

IMO there isnt a guy after the first few(3) off the board thats gonna be Diggs caliber. for me if you were thinking WR in the first your not getting Diggs at #22

15 minutes ago, JM57 said:

You're talking potential. You hope #22 is a player as good as Diggs WHEN they hit their ceiling. It was moved for a known commodity to hit the window before Allen monopolizes the cap

Diggs is good.  A #22 could be better or worse than Diggs.  Tre White at #27 was there out of the gate.   Not to mention a 4-5-6 picks where you find guys like Diggs (he was a 5th round pick) on occasion.  At the end of the day, I like Diggs, I dont like the compensation it took.  There are a lot who seem to not care about the compensation a long as they have their shiny fantasy WR.  But I am just a guy on the internet....the price was steep though, its being talked about all over the media that way.

18 hours ago, qwksilver said:

And that's why we'll probably have to re-up the contract....

Interesting question - Diggs does have FOUR YEARS left right?, which would make it pretty crazy precedent to renegotiate so soon.

11 minutes ago, Nester said:

This trade is expensive because the only sport i currently have.... is dreaming about what we would have spent the first pick on.

Last mock i saw (moving the chains) had us picking up Lamb at #22

more i think about it the more i like it.

Lamb would need time to get to NFL speed, Diggs wont and he has 4 years of control with a good price.

Lamb at #22 is NOT HAPPENING.  Long gone by then.  

We were looking at Shenault or Higgins.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

Interesting question - Diggs does have FOUR YEARS left right?, which would make it pretty crazy precedent to renegotiate so soon.

Hopkins has 3 years left, and rumor has it he wanted a new deal, and that was part of the reason BOB traded him? We'll see what happens with him and the Cardinals.

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Diggs is good.  A #22 could be better or worse than Diggs.  Tre White at #27 was there out of the gate.   Not to mention a 4-5-6 picks where you find guys like Diggs (he was a 5th round pick) on occasion.  At the end of the day, I like Diggs, I dont like the compensation it took.  There are a lot who seem to not care about the compensation a long as they have their shiny fantasy WR.  But I am just a guy on the internet....the price was steep though, its being talked about all over the media that way.

Especially because McBeane claim to be build-through-the-draft guys, I hear you.   

But one of the things about Beane is he's fearless about Monday morning quarterbacking.   When he sees something that he thinks works, especially something where's there agreement in the room from the coaches and the scouts, he goes and gets it.   He made this deal quickly, in part because, I'm sure Minnie was telling him he was on the clock.   

I think it's fair to assume the Bills had done their homework on Diggs.   They certainly scouted him for the game last season, and they also knew he was likely to be on the block or released this season, given his troubles with the Vikings.   For Beane, if it's a guy he wants, he clearly would prefer to overpay than to miss the opportunity.   

Maybe lightning is going to strike and the Vikings will find a star late in the draft with one of the Bills' picks.   If that happens, it's nice for the Vikings, but the question always is "are you happy with what you got?"   If you're happy, the price is less important.   

McDermott is fretting that he gave up the pick that landed Mahomes in the KC.   He got White and he got the ammunition that got him Allen.   If you get a guy you like, you don't look back. 

11 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Smart move, #22 for the Tier 2 guys was a big overdraft. To go up and secure one of the top 3 would require a lot of picks - this hits it out of the park

13 minutes ago, mattynh said:

This year Buffalo had 2 5th rounders, and 3 6th rounders.  After the trade Buffalo still has 7 picks.  The 4th round pick is for 2021.  The draft is important.  Beane out bid 2 other teams for a #1 wr and didnt mortgage the draft to do it.

17 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Vikings radio color analyst doesn't think he will immediately get a new contract.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

Wow. 50 pages in and I never thought so many people would be so enamored in and attached to the speculative value of draft picks, especially lower round draft picks. Mystery-box syndrome seems to be endemic around here. 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like this is different from watkins

qe know what we are getting

it didn’t cost as much

Correct.  The team is also in a position where Diggs is expected to be one of the last pieces of the puzzle, and we're not in the market for a QB.  It's unlikely that a guy taken at 22 is going to match Diggs's production over the next two years, which are the last two years of cheap Josh Allen quarterbacking.  It looks like a good trade for both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Correct.  The team is also in a position where Diggs is expected to be one of the last pieces of the puzzle, and we're not in the market for a QB.  It's unlikely that a guy taken at 22 is going to match Diggs's production over the next two years, which are the last two years of cheap Josh Allen quarterbacking.  It looks like a good trade for both teams. 

...I'd say a very fair and accurate assessment......now versus (potentially) later....:thumbsup: