Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

3 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Can someone explain why Hopkins basically goes for a second and Bills give up a first round pick for this guy? Hopkins is elite. This doesn’t seem right at all. 

:wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Draft picks past the third round have almost no value.  

I can build an All Time team with picks that have happened after the third round.

Tom Brady and Terrell Davis were 6th round picks and both were the very best the sport had to offer during their time.

3 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Can someone explain why Hopkins basically goes for a second and Bills give up a first round pick for this guy? Hopkins is elite. This doesn’t seem right at all. 

For the trillionth time posted on this forum, Hopkins went for a 2nd because BOB felt like crafting the worst NFL trade in maybe decades.

5 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

You do realize that BOB was never trading Hopkins within the AFC, don't you?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

This doesn’t deserve an explanation , 

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Even with considerable restructuring we would still retain around 80M to make decisions on our next round of UFA's plus look at new players.

Lots of expiring contracts in the next 2 years so, we have the ability to blow everything up with no cap issues, or keep almost everyone, or remake the roster and splurge on other big signings

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe it's just me, but almost as soon as it's done I stop thinking about trade values and all that.  Whether this was a good deal for one side or the other will be clear in three years.

In the meantime, what matters is how the Bills look going forward from here.  

For starters, think about the fact that as a rookie in 2018, Josh Allen was throwing to Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Robert Foster and Charles Clay.   In 2020, he's going to be throwing to Stefon Diggs, John Brown, Cole Beasley and whichever TE emerges.  (Frankly, with Diggs on board, I'm not sure it matters who the tight end is; if he knows how to run routes, he is going to get open.)  

Bills probably still need help at linebacker, on the edge and on the offensive line, as well as a running back.   They will pick up that help in the remainder of free agency and in the draft.   

I think the opportunity to get Diggs was too big to pass up, for one reason:  there are very few players you can get who make your team better at three positions.   The Bills now have a considerably better #1 than they had a year ago (Diggs), a considerably better #2 than they had a year ago (Brown) and a considerably slot receiver than they had a year ago (Beasley).   There aren't any positions where you can get that ripple effect.   One acquisition to improve three positions makes Diggs worth paying for.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Cause the Texans GM is really a coach and he must think very highly of David Johnson.  Can't compare the trades when a player is involved.

21 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

This is exactly why we need an ANGER emoji in the reactions.  Wow

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't know if anyone else posted this WGR Howard and Jeremy interview with a former WGR host who now works in Minnesota. He gave a glowing commentary about Diggs's talent and production. He made the observation that Diggs is a high intensity player and personality. This link is 15 min. If someone else posted this link I apologize for the redundancy. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/03-17-matthew-coller-from-skor-north-in-minnesota-on-stefon-diggs

Coller knows his stuff. That was an amazing review from someone who covered him and is not a shill or blowhard and knows the game. Extremely encouraging. 

26 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Draft picks past the third round have almost no value.  

Not true at all esp with how McBeane likes to trade up and finds quality players. However mid-round picks (4th and 5th round) have solid value. Lots of quality role players and starters are found in those rounds. 

24 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

The Texans made a bad trade because their coach is also the GM and didn't get along with Hopkins. Other teams weren't that stupid. The Vikings weren't giving up Diggs for peanuts because the Texans were stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

So you are aware Diggs was a 5th round pick.  As was Tyreek Hill.

We still have a 5th and 6th. 

They will struggle to make the roster though now on a pretty loaded , deep team. I'm shocked any Bills fan being opposed to this trade , it was fair compensation

• Like (+1) 4