Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

1 minute ago, Doc said:

No we couldn’t have. If that were true. It would’ve happened.

That works out to 1157 yards over 16 games. 

see above

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am still a Knox fan. I think he is a candidate for a break out year. 

Time to light the Sweeney!  He's the X Factor...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Advanced rushing and receiving with drop % for Diggs here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00.htm

Player advanced receiving (with drop %) here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/receiving_advanced.htm

Can't believe I didnt think to look in the advanced section, Thanks! I feel better about drops with the posted above and I feel better about the fumbles considering 4/6 career fumbles happened last year.  All worries about this removed again.

29 minutes ago, arcane said:

If one more person says we could have had Hopkins for less, SDS should burn this place to the ground. 

Just because Houston has a dumbass GM that does stupid trades doesn't mean that every other GM Will just give away talent. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. He is very Antonio Brown like. 

If he wants a new deal then he is going to have to go the right way about it because after 2020 he has 3 years of contract and very little guaranteed money so he has minimal leverage. If he doesn't show up he doesn't get paid. If he produces on the field in 2020 can I see the Bills maybe reworking that contract to give him a bit extra guaranteed money as a reward? Maybe. But would have to be on their terms.  

Idk. Even if we have to give him a new deal , I still like the trade. We just got a certified top 10 we talent, in his prime. His upside still hasn't been reached. We have the luxury to do this because of how great Beane has done building this roster..

He had under 100 targets last year , still over 1k yards . 6 TD  Had over 100 catches the prior year, was a Monster in the post season , surpassing 1k yards and 9 TD.

With Keenum and Cousins throwing to him! 

He was their best player on O . Thielen was nowhere near as good without Diggs on field.  Diggs always got the opposing teams # 1 , which just made John Browns life soooo much easier. 

Phenomenal move by a team that knows it's close and added one of the best weapons in the game

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He won't and he will demonstrate beyond any doubt he is a true #1 in his own right. 

As I mentioned before, I’m betting Thielen struggles without Diggs, like JuJu did without psycho opposite him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Idk. Even if we have to give him a new deal , I still like the trade. We just got a certified top 10 we talent, in his prime. His upside still hasn't been reached. We have the luxury to do this because of how great Beane has done building this roster..

He had under 100 targets last year , still over 1k yards . 6 TD  Had over 100 catches the prior year, was a Monster in the post season , surpassing 1k yards and 9 TD.

With Keenum and Cousins throwing to him! 

He was their best player on O . Thielen was nowhere near as good without Diggs on field.  Diggs always got the opposing teams # 1 , which just made John Browns life soooo much easier. 

Phenomenal move by a team that knows it's close and added one of the best weapons in the game

I don't disagree with any of that. I just make the point he has very little leverage to demand a new contract. He will need to prove it on the field and go the right way about it. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

As I mentioned before, I’m betting Thielen struggles without Diggs, like JuJu did without psycho opposite him. 

I think so too. He feasts on holes that Diggs plays a large part in creating. Thielen is still a really good player and he will still have around 1,000 yards if he stays healthy but I do think his production will drop. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Just because Houston has a dumbass GM that does stupid trades doesn't mean that every other GM Will just give away talent. 

I don't see a massive difference. Arz is sending the 40th pick  and a guy  before last season was considered a top 3-5 back. 

Also a 2021 4th. 

We paid more but Diggs contract is beautiful and Hopkins is better but not by much. I'd put Diggs in the top 5 WR in the game

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree with any of that. I just make the point he has very little leverage to demand a new contract. He will need to prove it on the field and go the right way about it. 

I think so too. He feasts on holes that Diggs plays a large part in creating. Thielen is still a really good player and he will still have around 1,000 yards if he stays healthy but I do think his production will drop. 

I agree.

And Diggs demanded the opposing #1 CB. Thielen will take a hit I believe.  

Just now, JerseyBills said:

I don't see a massive difference. Arz is sending the 40th pick  and a guy  before last season was considered a top 3-5 back. 

Also a 2021 4th. 

We paid more but Diggs contract is beautiful and Hopkins is better but not by much. I'd put Diggs in the top 5 WR in the game

David Johnson hasn't been considering a top 3-5 back since 2016. I don't think he offers much value to that trade, esp on a big contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Admittedly, it *seems* like a lot to give up, but the Bills' 1st, 5th, 6th and 2021 4th (discounted by a round for Vikes waiting a year for it) would *maybe* have been enough to get them pick 19 in this year's draft.  The 5th, 6th and next year's 4th don't have a lot of trade value.

I'm glad you noted the de-value for a future pick with the 4th - some people on here are valuing it as a 2020 4th.   Worth noting too that with the trade value of those picks - moving up a few spots would not have been enough to get one of the very top WRs in the draft regardless.  AND we still have all our picks after rd 1 this year.  The REASON Beane acquired the extra picks was to use them as capital to go after guys he targeted, not to use them to draft extra players this year.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see him use more picks this year to move up and target specific players in this draft - as others have said, we have the luxury now of having some depth, and with a few FA moves the draft now is more about quality than quantity.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Also a 2021 4th. 

I agree.

I love Diggs, but Hopkins is the best WR in the NFL, arguably. Diggs probably in the 10-15 range. Which is still # 1 caliber

DeAndre Hopkins

Michael Thomas

Julio Jones

Keenan Allen

Amari Cooper

Mike Evans

Tyreek Hill

TY Hilton

Id probably list as better.

But again, still a top 10-15 WR, which is a huge get for the Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Also a 2021 4th. 

I agree.

What league are you watching? Confused with your Madden league? Johnson was never a top 3-5 back not sure even a top 20 back. And Diggs is a top 5? Hopkins only better by a bit? Hopkins is a future HOFer, multiple 1500 yd seasons, etc. 

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I love Diggs, but Hopkins is the best WR in the NFL, arguably. Diggs probably in the 10-15 range. Which is still # 1 caliber

DeAndre Hopkins

Michael Thomas

Julio Jones

Keenan Allen

Amari Cooper

Mike Evans

Tyreek Hill

TY Hilton

Id probably list as better.

But again, still a top 10-15 WR, which is a huge get for the Bills!

My list is similar but I have Diggs ahead of Hilton and Amari. 
Top 3 I have the same. 
tyreek hill 

mike Evans 

diggs 

keenan Allen 

golloday (based on my expectations) 

then Hilton and OBJ/Landry (I’m torn who is actually better) rounding out the top 10. 

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Anyone have a rough idea how much cap we have left?

I was just looking at that.  Diggs is on the books in Spotrac already taking them to 60 million.

After the others get put on (of course the contracts could be front loaded or back loaded) it

should be somewhere around 40 million left.

Using Beane's numbers from the past he will keep at least 15 million to go into the season.

If he extends Tre this year it should only put an extra 5 or so on this years books.

He probably has about 20 to work with for the rest of the offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Houston might not have wanted to deal Hopkins to us as a potential playoff opponent in the conference.

People keep saying this, but that's a tie breaker when two offers are very close.  You don't turn down a huge haul like what Minnesota received in favor of the scraps the Texans received just to spite a team that isn't even in your own division.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

People keep saying this, but that's a tie breaker when two offers are very close.  You don't turn down a huge haul like what Minnesota received in favor of the scraps the Texans received just to spite a team that isn't even in your own division.

Which is all speculation without a press conference from Brandon Beane or Bill O'B to set the record straight.  I doubt that Bill O'B is going before the Houston media to say he turned down far better compensation from an AFC team because of competitive fears.

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What league are you watching? Confused with your Madden league? Johnson was never a top 3-5 back not sure even a top 20 back. And Diggs is a top 5? Hopkins only better by a bit? Hopkins is a future HOFer, multiple 1500 yd seasons, etc. 

You're right. I was way off about Johnson. Hopkins is def the better WR but Diggs isn't far behind at all. 

Feel he will only get better too

• Like (+1) 1