Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well this is exciting 

1) we definitely overpaid. Didn’t read the whole thread but is there any discussion if this was offered for d hop?  Because it seems to be a better offer than the Cards gave the Texans and D Hop is the better player.

2) for as big of a dork he is, Cousins is a better passer than Allen at this point and Diggs wasn’t happy there.  I hope we don’t have to force balls (?) to him to keep him happy. 

3) they certainly knew this was a huge need and filled it.  Hopefully, the weapons excuse for Allen will be done.

4) we have the best small receiving core in the NFL. We still need a big receiver (Claypool or Pittman please).

5) the pressure is on Allen now.  They have built a team around him so it’s time for training wheels to come off.

Now the pressure is on Allen? Now? You and everyone else who hated the pick have put the pressure on Allen from the moment he was selected in the draft. That said, every starting QB in the NFL is under pressure, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Texans screwed themselves, you can’t compare the 2 trades. I believe what we got Diggs for was good for a #1 WR!

another point to mention is that there was supposedly other teams interested in him, so you can assume there was possibly a bidding war going on as well, hence we may have had to spend more then what you would think 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the trade. It just made me think this backs up my theory the current Bills decision makers aren't overly enamoured with rookie WRs. 

I don’t think they were enamored with who would probably be there at 22 to fill the role they want Diggs to fill. They need to evaluate and provide a real top WR to Allen now, not wait to see if a guy can become what Diggs already is 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

They'll likely move up from 54 if there's a DE they like imo

Unlike many, I'm not opposed to trading up if they have someone rated much higher than other prospects at a position of need, but unless they give up their 3rd rounder, they don't have the ammo to move very far up in round 2.  Giving up their 4th rounder and pick 54 might get them to 48 or 49.

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Right....love Diggs but we could've had Hopkins (who is better) for alot less? We still have no size at wr if Duke is cut?

Why do they need a “size” guy to begin with? One thing that I like that Beane/McDermott have done is that they identified early on what style of WR Allen works best w/, separation, and have actively chased that style instead of buying into the basketball theory of building the position (1 tall, 1 speed, etc). McDermott said it pretty succinctly. He wants a guy who can catch the ball. Diggs has the highest contested catch percentage in the league I believe for multiple years. And his route running/separation  is so filthy they show replays of it during games even when he doesn’t get the ball.

if you look at the two teams that played in the SB, neither had a “size” guy at WR. They had size at TE which the Bills do as well. I also expect them to add another WR in the draft so TBD on height there.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

There is something to be said, in a historically deep draft, two teams many pegged to go WR in the first, traded for established WRs.

Not saying it is a knock on the class, because especially in our case, I still think we snag one regardless. 

But there is food for thought as to why we both choose to go proven instead.

30 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Right....love Diggs but we could've had Hopkins (who is better) for alot less? We still have no size at wr if Duke is cut?

Says who? By the looks of the trade, OB valued David Johnson. Stupid as it may be, it's pretty clear that was the main get back for the Texans.

What makes you think we would have had what they wanted?

Or that the price wouldn't be higher without having the RB involved 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why do they need a “size” guy to begin with? One thing that I like that Beane/McDermott have done is that they identified early on what style of WR Allen works best w/, separation, and have actively chased that style instead of buying into the basketball theory of building the position (1 tall, 1 speed, etc). McDermott said it pretty succinctly. He wants a guy who can catch the ball. Diggs has the highest contested catch percentage in the league I believe for multiple years. And his route running/separation  is so filthy they show replays of it during games even when he doesn’t get the ball.

Well said well said. 
Chiefs receivers were all around the same size as buffalo. Weapons are weapons despite height and once you have 4-5 weapons your offense becomes pretty unstoppable. We now have 4-5 legit weapons in this offense. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am absolutely fine with this trade. We wanted to use that 1st round pick to find a top end receiver and the draft wasn't quite lining up that way in terms of likely value at that spot. 

Diggs is proven, he is 26 and in his prime and he has a contract which frankly is a bargain the next 4 years. 

What is not to like? 

Oh and the people saying "Diggs is like John Brown" really, really, really need to watch some film of Stefon Diggs. 

For real, people are crazy if they think they are the same player.  

Watching a highlight tape of him will quickly show Diggs is elite route runner and plays quite big and is open even when not open.  He leads NFL since 2017 in contested catches for a reason.  

Beane had himself one hell of a day 1.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I couldn’t be more thrilled with the Bills pulling this off in view of what we clearly needed most last year to take that next step—you may quibble about price versus draft moves, but this is Whaley-level fun splash but guided by an actual progression plan that fits and instantly makes us better as a whole. Now if we can just keep the guys healthy and start our season off on time, look out AFC!!

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Alot of Vikings fans are saying they fleeced us, they're speaking off raw emotion.

Going back on Twitter and YouTube , the fans wanted to keep him , looked at him as superior to Thielen. When he started sending cryptic tweets, fans said they'd want a 1 and 3 at least. He's an elite talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Equally notable is that the very top WRs in this draft wouldnt have been avail at 18

I have been banging the drum pretty loud for one of the top 3 (hit the ground running faster), but you cannot dislike this move at all. A proven 26 yr old WR for pick $18 on a very team friendly deal that will at some point soon require a bump up in pay, he is a win now player.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For real, people are crazy if they think they are the same player.  

Watching a highlight tape of him will quickly show Diggs is elite route runner and plays quite big and is open even when not open.  He leads NFL since 2017 in contested catches for a reason.  

Beane had himself one hell of a day 1.  

I love the Diggs deal. I am a bit more lukewarm on Klein and Addison. I can see some of the reasoning neither are guys I am all that high on. I expect them to both be those Beane type deals that they can get out of after 1 year though 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I love the Diggs deal. I am a bit more lukewarm on Klein and Addison. I can see some of the reasoning neither are guys I am all that high on. I expect them to both be those Beane type deals that they can get out of after 1 year though 

mostly plug the gap guys, Edge is a big concern going forward and I think will be our first pick in the draft minus a big signing/trade

• Like (+1) 1