Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

11 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It does. Not really matter what picks they had.  Each pick has value based on its slot.   You can’t just give them away because you acquired them by  trade.   I am not a gm.  But comparing the Hopkins trade to this one it seems like the bills were desperate.   Digs is 6 feet tall.   I was hoping for 6-3 or taller.  I’m a bills fan and hope this works out but my opinion is the compensation was too much.  

Buffalo still has 7 picks in the 2020 draft.  By getting something for 2 players who were getting cut the Bills could afford to pay a precieved premium.  The 4th is 2021 and by then Id suspect moves have been made and that pick is replaced.

9 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

8th overall is the value.   Someone in this thread posted it. 

Someone in this thread is laughably wrong.  Two 5ths and a 6th doesn't bump you up 14 spots in the 1st round.  That's basically 5 spots each for 5th round picks and 4 spots for a 6th.  Just not realistic.

*edit*

Wouldn't you still give the 8th pick for an established #1 in their prime with years left on their contract like Diggs, for your Super Bowl run?

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo still has 7 picks in the 2020 draft.  By getting something for 2 players who were getting cut the Bills could afford to pay a precieved premium.  The 4th is 2021 and by then Id suspect moves have been made and that pick is replaced.

Solid point about the wise use of capital.  We basically traded our first this year (which likely would have been invested in a receive who would have taken some time to reach the level of Diggs's anticipated production), one year of Bodine (who would have been cut anyway in August 2019) and one year of Teller (who also would have been cut in August 2019) for Diggs.  

Maybe the fourth next year gets replaced with a comp pick if Phillips leaves on a big deal (not sure how the formula works).  Either way, a 1 + the equivalent of a 5 in 2020 capital for a bona fide #1 with four years of very reasonable term (at least in football dollars) who happens to play X and can beat man coverage ... capital well spent.  Great job by Beane not only yesterday, but last August in getting something for guys who he was going to cut and using that value to sweeten the pot to get a #1 receiver.  

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

8th overall is the value.   Someone in this thread posted it. 

Inthebuff posted it on page 33.

That is just flat out wrong though. No one, and I mean NO ONE would take those picks for 8. To go from 22 to 8 it would probably take about 22, next year's first and a third, and that still might not be enough. Moving from 12 to 7 to get Josh Allen costed an additional 12 and 2 seconds.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, kbarrettb said:

Deepest wr draft and you trade a ton of picks for a number 2. Sound move. This screams ownership wanting a “big” name. You build through the draft. 

You keep on saying this, maybe if say it enough times even you might believe it. 

Go Bills!!!

I saw that and disagree strongly with that assertion.  Do you think that if the Bills had called Arizona and offered their 22nd pick 5th and 6th rounders and a 4th next year for pick 8 that they would have taken it?  They would have laughed and hung up.

i know that there are different versions of the draft pick value table floating around, but most are fairly similar.  Here is a link to one that I based my analysis on: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

Confirm my calculation, but don't forget to discount the 2021 4th by a round (equal to about a mid5th his year) as is typically done.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

not sure you can call that a fact 

Whatever ya gotta tell yourself...

Go Bills!!!

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I saw that and disagree strongly with that assertion.  Do you think that if the Bills had called Arizona and offered their 22nd pick 5th and 6th rounders and a 4th next year for pick 8 that they would have taken it?  They would have laughed and hung up.

i know that there are different versions of the draft pick value table floating around, but most are fairly similar.  Here is a link to one that I based my analysis on: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

Confirm my calculation, but don't forget to discount the 2021 4th by a round (equal to about a mid5th his year) as is typically done.

Agreed!  There had to be a discussion involved about their ability to move up for JJ or Lamb (possibly Ruggs), before this trade was made.  The Bills probably realized that it wasn’t worth it to give up more than they did for Diggs.  I completely agree.  No team has spent more scouting time on WR than Buffalo, so I trust these guys to make that decision.  They weren’t able to get the same value with a trade that they got with Diggs (assumingely).  This was the right move.

• Like (+1) 2

My Pats season ticket holder boss texts me at 11:30 last night to ask me about the trade. He's facing the prospect of the Bills owning the division going forward. Pats made a couple minor signings and they are maxed out cap wise. (Part of that is Tom Brady dead money.) I told him the Bills still had $60MM free after the Diggs trade. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Trying to draft a receiver in the first would have been frustrating. This year the other teams basically KNEW we would be going receiver in Round 1. We would have seen other teams trading to get in front of us. This was a solid move, though I was hoping for a more physically dominating player.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Solid point about the wise use of capital.  We basically traded our first this year (which likely would have been invested in a receive who would have taken some time to reach the level of Diggs's anticipated production), one year of Bodine (who would have been cut anyway in August 2019) and one year of Teller (who also would have been cut in August 2019) for Diggs.  

Maybe the fourth next year gets replaced with a comp pick if Phillips leaves on a big deal (not sure how the formula works).  Either way, a 1 + the equivalent of a 5 in 2020 capital for a bona fide #1 with four years of very reasonable term (at least in football dollars) who happens to play X and can beat man coverage ... capital well spent.  Great job by Beane not only yesterday, but last August in getting something for guys who he was going to cut and using that value to sweeten the pot to get a #1 receiver.  

I hadn't even realized the 5th and 6th were really free money we got for nothing.  We basically got a good #1 WR in their prime for the 22nd pick and a 5th.  Beane really is a wizard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like this trade a lot.  Despite living in Viking country, I admittedly haven't watched a lot of their games, so I'm relying on Beane evaluating Diggs accurately.  But a late 1st and an assortment of Day Three picks who probably weren't making our roster anyway is a very reasonable price to pay for a #1 WR, especially considering that he should immediately make Brown and Beasley and Knox better too.

Glad the team is in "win now" mode.  Let's get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh.

Would still like to see them go after offense early. If they could get Jefferson or Aiyuk in the 2nd they'd be loaded at the position. 

Their defensive end position is a major worry to me. It is the weakest position on the roster as we stand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1