Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

I think that's a ton of compensation to give up for a guy who has never had double digit TD in his career in a year where the draft was said to be deep with talent at the position. I'm guessing they thought at 22 nobody of Diggs' caliber would be there for them so they made this deal which would make sense. He's had a fairly productive career but I think he'll be looking for another payday much like the Raiders paid AB and the Browns paid OBJ, that at least seems to be the theme so if we traded a 1st and have to pay him around what Amari Cooper is getting then it becomes quite a steep price and I think we should have stuck with a rookie but I don't want to get ahead of myself since that part hasn't happened yet. That is going to be a tough group of WR to stop along with Knox and Singletary, this group is looking real solid. I'd like to see an upgrade at backup QB, I'm really bummed Keenum went to the Browns I thought he'd be a solid pickup.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Wonder if we still draft a WR  in this draft?

100% and maybe in round 2.  

The history of the draft says you have can hit on these guys in any round and this class is deep.

So you secure a legit #1 by trading the 22nd instead of waiting for a rookie to make the impact we need now.  

The one we draft later can develop and.....trust the process.  

This offense boy.  If Allen continues his progression:

Diggs

Brown

Beastly 

WR we draft

Maybe Big Mike; another UFA? 

Roberts

Knox

Singletary

Sign Gordon or Howard 

Keep building the oline 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think that's a ton of compensation to give up for a guy who has never had double digit TD in his career in a year where the draft was said to be deep with talent at the position. I'm guessing they thought at 22 nobody of Diggs' caliber would be there for them so they made this deal which would make sense. He's had a fairly productive career but I think he'll be looking for another payday much like the Raiders paid AB and the Browns paid OBJ, that at least seems to be the theme so if we traded a 1st and have to pay him around what Amari Cooper is getting then it becomes quite a steep price and I think we should have stuck with a rookie but I don't want to get ahead of myself since that part hasn't happened yet. That is going to be a tough group of WR to stop along with Knox and Singletary, this group is looking real solid. I'd like to see an upgrade at backup QB, I'm really bummed Keenum went to the Browns I thought he'd be a solid pickup.

I love the move. I don’t think Jeudy, Ruggs, or Lamb will be available at 22 or even striking distance of a trade up. They need to evaluate Allen with no excuses over the next couple years. Can’t wait for a WR to develop or bust. 

however your point about Diggs possibly wanting a new deal gives me pause. If he gets Cooper money  I think a big benefit of this deal (Diggs value contract) is out the window. 

I can understand this trade if he plays under his current contract. If the Bills give up all that draft capital and then redo his contract I don't like it. He is a really good receiver but he is not a dominant force.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I can understand this trade if he plays under his current contract. If the Bills give up all that draft capital and then redo his contract I don't like it. He is a really good receiver but he is not a dominant force.

Lol.  Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins will tell you otherwise.  

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Terrible assumption. Foster is gonna be gone.  McKenzie wasnt offered a deal. Williams is not gonna get cut for Nick Easley or Ray Ray McCloud. Here is what its gonna look like:

Diggs

Brown
Beas

Roberts

Williams

Unknown Rookie

That is an impressive receiver corp!

I initially balked at the amount of picks, but I think the Diggs at four years a low salary for a #1 receiver is closer to a guarantee than a receiver in the late 1st round.    The two extra picks came from trades of players that were being cut anyway and were found money.    Diggs, Brown and Beasley are as good of a group as any in the league

Buffalo addressed three needs today and there is still plenty of cap room to resign key players and add more pieces

• Like (+1) 1

When is the last time this team admitted they were going for the Superbowl?  It's obvious they see the rookie QB wage and are going all in.  This is exciting times for us, it's been too long.  For those that are so negative on the deal, enjoy it.  We basically got our number 1 WR a bit earlier than the draft.  

• Like (+1) 3

There was a lot happening with that Minnesota offense the last 2 years.  

Cousins stunk in 18.  They wanted to run it more.  They fired their OC.

They ran it more in 19.  Thielen's and Diggs numbers dropped, the offense stunk, and guess who complained?  BOTH.  But I bet Thielen isn't an entitled prima dona right?  

I hope he's matured from that.  I'm betting with this group and staff he will be.  And watch how quick he gets in sync with Josh.  

If we can practice at all in the next 8 weeks.  :(

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Hot diggidy dawg, a big time move. Seems like a lot to give up but those late round picks are often negligible and the 4th is in 2021. 

His contract is exactly the type of deal that Beane goes after as well. 

And if they weren't overly impressed with the receiver prospects this year then I give 'em credit for taking a big swing on Diggs here. 

Agree 100%.

Very happy with this move and it tells us all that they are going for it all in 2020..

Diggs is a proven WR at very reasonable compensation for the next few years..

Much better than rolling the dice on the 4th or 5th receiver at 22.. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d probably add one more but the pressure is off. They needed a 1 which is the hard one to add. They did that. I’m thinking:

Diggs

Smoke

Beasley

Hodgins
Foster 

Duke

(Roberts KR/PR)

Nice Group!! Maybe you see a “McKenzie type” in the mid rounds (or any quality WR that slips)

Fixed...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i wouldn't consider him great, so that makes him pretty good. Hopefully McDermott can get more out of him and buy in.

What happens if we sign Quinn or Griffen then still draft one of the "million" receivers this year?  Brown is here 2 more years and the room steps in.

This is how offenses sustain themselves.  You get, then build behind it.  It's not a stop start thing.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That was my first reaction when I heard about this trade.  But, I still completely trust Beane.  He has a plan and he has shown that his moves usually turn out for the best.  We have a experienced proven #1 receiver compared with an unproven risk if we were to draft a receiver with our #22 pick .

Trust Mcbeane...Trust the process!!!