Bailout--Stimulus Thread

17 hours ago, Capco said:

Giving the money to most people directly doesn't just help those people.  The vast majority of people who receive this money are going to spend it almost immediately.  This is just as much of a stimulus for the economy as a whole as it is for the individual American.  

But you're right that there are some pitfalls.  For example, anyone who didn't make enough money to even file a federal tax return for 2018 or 2019 is SOL afaik, unless they are already receiving payments from SSI or Social Security.  That's basically the homeless plus anyone who predominantly works under the table, and those people are typically below the poverty line.  

not to be rude, but how are the homeless being impacted financially?

and what exactly are people

goiing to immediately spend the money on.  If I got 1,200 bucks right now, I would have trouble spending it if I wanted to.  

He literally said he will disobey the law, the part on oversight. What would the scam artist who gave us Trump U do that? 

You think he will bail out is properties? 

Just now, Crayola64 said:

goiing to immediately spend the money on.  If I got 1,200 bucks right now, I would have trouble spending it if I wanted to.  

It's a good time to buy stock. ?

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's a good time to buy stock. ?

that’s what I would do.  But I imagine a large portion of people making less than 100,000 are not invested in the stock market outside of their retirement 

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

that’s what I would do.  But I imagine a large portion of people making less than 100,000 are not invested in the stock market outside of their retirement 

Yup, lots of people are going to be wiped out by this. There are some hard times coming too many. 

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

Not trying to be overly argumentative here, but recent the stock market drop has been around 25%, which is pretty much back to the level it was just a year or so ago. The current correction shouldn’t have ‘wiped out’ anyone. It will come back, it always does. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why would Trump do this? 

Trump Ousts Pandemic Spending Watchdog Known for Independence

The official had been leading the office of the inspector general for the Pentagon. In removing him from that role, the president stripped him of his pandemic relief oversight duties as well.

07dc-ig-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto

WASHINGTON — President Trump moved on Tuesday to oust the leader of a new watchdog panel charged with overseeing how his administration spends trillions of taxpayer dollars in coronavirus pandemic relief, the latest step in an abruptly unfolding White House power play against semi-independent inspectors general across the government.

Edited by Tiberius

I'm not sure if this is covered here but our company went through the PPP exercise. We have had to change our application almost completely twice. The government is changing the rules and requirements about as fast as it can. It is not easy to spend 2T in a hurry and I'm not complaining, just explaining.

All the changes made sense. At first our 1099 employees were part of our calculation, then they weren't because the gov wants them to apply directly. There was a question of how to backup our payroll data for the bank to have an accurate record. Which months to include. I could go on. I'm surprised the $$ is hitting people's accounts already from the PPP given how fast the guidelines are changing. If we'd gotten our app in a day before, I think we would have gotten all our 1099 people covered, and these people are now not part of the PPP for companies, though they should be able to apply themselves. When I spoke to my banker yesterday, he sounded like his head was in a vice. This is a very senior guy who is running around helping businesses fill out forms now. 

The big banks are a cluster on this. I was lucky to avoid Wells Fargo (my usual bank) and get help from a small local bank. Wells had a notice up on their website as early as Saturday telling businesses to work with other banks because they weren’t yet ready. I should have screen shot it. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Why would Trump do this? 

Trump Ousts Pandemic Spending Watchdog Known for Independence

The official had been leading the office of the inspector general for the Pentagon. In removing him from that role, the president stripped him of his pandemic relief oversight duties as well.

07dc-ig-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto

WASHINGTON — President Trump moved on Tuesday to oust the leader of a new watchdog panel charged with overseeing how his administration spends trillions of taxpayer dollars in coronavirus pandemic relief, the latest step in an abruptly unfolding White House power play against semi-independent inspectors general across the government.

Links?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Update: One business's experience. My banker just told me that the SBA "approved" our PPP request. 

Things he said he doesn't know yet:

(1) What amount is approved (the amount we requested or some lesser amount).

(2) If they will adjust the amount, pay it at once, or pay it in installments.

(3) How they will get it to me. 

(4) Whether they will want more information before distributing it. 

(5) When it will be available.

But it's "approved." That's better than whatever I had yesterday. I'll keep updating my fellow business owners on our progress. 

(We applied for very little by the way, but even a little will help our cash flow...as I go on 3 weeks without a bill being paid!)

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 5 weeks later...

Washington post: House Democrats unveiled a sprawling coronavirus rescue bill Tuesday that would direct more than $3 trillion to state and local governments, health systems, and a range of other initiatives, setting up a huge clash with Senate Republicans and the White House over how to deal with the sputtering economy.

The bill would also send a second round of stimulus checks to millions of Americans and include more funding for the Postal Service. Not every component of the bill would include more government spending. Some parts would aim to address the coronavirus pandemic in other ways, such as by requiring passengers to wear masks on airplanes and public transit.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:28 AM, Crayola64 said:

The homeless guy pan-handling at the intersection next to my office building (same guy for years) has disappeared since they governor locked down the state.

Republicans in Senate are not even going to consider this next bailout. Are they just giving up on Trump and getting ready to fight Biden on the sudden found need for tax cuts and budget cuts. 

Note: Democrats are trying to save the people. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Note: Democrats are trying to save the people. 

Classic! First, you starve your captives until they’re near death, then you start offering them crumbs....and they’ll follow you anywhere. “Please Sir, can I have some more?”

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Classic! First, you starve your captives until they’re near death, then you start offering them crumbs....and they’ll follow you anywhere. “Please Sir, can I have some more?”

Most Americans understand and approve the fact we needed to take measures to survive a pandemic. I get the loons will say the virus is a Democrat, just like FDR helped the Japanese bomb Pearl Hatbor. 

Loons  s will be loons. 

Still, Republicans bailing out on Trump? Lol 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Most Americans understand and approve the fact we needed to take measures to survive a pandemic. I get the loons will say the virus is a Democrat, just like FDR helped the Japanese bomb Pearl Hatbor. 

Loons  s will be loons. 

Still, Republicans bailing out on Trump? Lol 

I have no idea what most of that’s about but you seem absolutely committed to it so I’m not going stop you. Rock On! 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea what most of that’s about but you seem absolutely committed to it so I’m not going stop you. Rock On! 

I think it’s funny the Republicans want Trump gone, too