Bailout--Stimulus Thread

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I lick public bathroom toilets 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, how interesting

Wen't you the idiot telling people to buy Rush Limbo's tea party tea? 

Yes you were! 

Oh how interesting.

When he is getting his ass handed to him,  Tibsy erases a posters response and then adds something to misrepresent what they said.

I would say that makes you a low-life, scum sucking, gutter dweller.

Make sure you quote me correctly in your next lie about the TEA Party.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Crayola64 said:

right, but many people (like me) have already filed 2019 returns.  

Right, but that's not what I asked. I asked if we knew the date to file by for them to check your 19 numbers vs your 18 numbers. Essentially, do we know when they're checking? Theoretically I could file tonight. Would that count? How about next week? 

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Right, but that's not what I asked. I asked if we knew the date to file by for them to check your 19 numbers vs your 18 numbers. Essentially, do we know when they're checking? Theoretically I could file tonight. Would that count? How about next week? 

when I skimmed it I didn’t see any cutoff dates and it just said “time of determination”

12 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

but because no determinations have been made, my poor understanding is that you could file today and your 2019 would count once it is accepted by the government (which should be very fast)

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They need your tax return for two main reasons:

-it's usually linked to a bank account they can wire the money to

-it provides a value for Gross Adjusted Income, which is needed to determine how much money you will get

I would assume they would check the most recent tax return they have on file (2018 or 2019 only).  If you think you can get more money with 2019 vs 2018, then yes I would file your return ASAP.

The checks aren't going out until at least the first week of April, so you have time.  

Edited by Capco

10 minutes ago, Capco said:

They need your tax return for two main reasons:

-it's usually linked to a bank account they can wire the money to

-it provides a value for Gross Adjusted Income, which is needed to determine how much money you will get

I would assume they would check the most recent tax return they have on file (2018 or 2019 only).  If you think you can get more money with 2019 vs 2018, then yes I would file your return ASAP.

The checks aren't going out until at least the first week of April, so you have time.  

I'm trying to do the opposite. I'd prefer not to get the check, as I'm doing fine and it's a tax credit anyway as I understand it. Going by 2018 would qualify me for some, so I guess I'll file tonight when I get home. 

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm trying to do the opposite. I'd prefer not to get the check, as I'm doing fine and it's a tax credit anyway as I understand it. Going by 2018 would qualify me for some, so I guess I'll file tonight when I get home. 

you probably know more than me, but it’s an advance on a new 2020 tax credit.

This bill seems a bit hokey, and not just because of the pork.

I'm all for relief to those suddenly forced into unemployment as well as for businesses that have been forced to shut down, but this blanket welfare payment doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The overwhelming majority of people getting the relief are still working, and the vast majority of the money allocated to those who have been affected is being distributed to those who have not.

I understand that it's hard to implement a massive organized national relief project on short notice, but this seems utterly ridiculous to my unqualified eye.

Most of the people in my office are going to get a check, and we haven't missed a day of work. Same with my wife's office. But a friend of mine who's teetering on the edge of financial ruin because of the virus isn't going to get *****. 

Maybe the logistics make it unworkable, but I'd be a lot happier with a Kung flu emergency relief bill that is targeted towards assisting those who have been affected by it rather than a national income based welfare check.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'm all for relief to those suddenly forced into unemployment as well as for businesses that have been forced to shut down, but this blanket welfare payment doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The overwhelming majority of people getting the relief are still working, and the vast majority of the money allocated to those who have been affected is being distributed to those who have not.

I understand that it's hard to implement a massive organized national relief project on short notice, but this seems utterly ridiculous to my unqualified eye.

Most of the people in my office are going to get a check, and we haven't missed a day of work. Same with my wife's office. But a friend of mine who's teetering on the edge of financial ruin because of the virus isn't going to get *****. 

Maybe the logistics make it unworkable, but I'd be a lot happier with a Kung flu emergency relief bill that is targeted towards assisting those who have been affected by it rather than a national income based welfare check.

Giving the money to most people directly doesn't just help those people.  The vast majority of people who receive this money are going to spend it almost immediately.  This is just as much of a stimulus for the economy as a whole as it is for the individual American.  

But you're right that there are some pitfalls.  For example, anyone who didn't make enough money to even file a federal tax return for 2018 or 2019 is SOL afaik, unless they are already receiving payments from SSI or Social Security.  That's basically the homeless plus anyone who predominantly works under the table, and those people are typically below the poverty line.  

4 hours ago, Capco said:

Giving the money to most people directly doesn't just help those people.  The vast majority of people who receive this money are going to spend it almost immediately.  This is just as much of a stimulus for the economy as a whole as it is for the individual American.  

But you're right that there are some pitfalls.  For example, anyone who didn't make enough money to even file a federal tax return for 2018 or 2019 is SOL afaik, unless they are already receiving payments from SSI or Social Security.  That's basically the homeless plus anyone who predominantly works under the table, and those people are typically below the poverty line.  

I've never thought much of that theory. It kind of seems reasonable if you think about it on a superficial level, but when you think about the underlying dynamics it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It makes even less sense in this scenario when the economic downturn is due to people being unable to conduct business. I'm not sure how the waiter, hairdresser, or anyone else whose job/business is shut down is going to benefit from other people buying a bunch of sht from those who haven't been shut down.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Rob's House said:

On the individual side, I'm not sure about the logistics either. However, rather than sending checks out directly to individuals with no mechanism in place to determine who actually needs the assistance or how much they actually need - couldn't they have desgnated those funds to upgrading and modifying the ability to process and pay unemployment claims in a way tailored to individual needs?

President Trump on Friday took a step to immediately try to curb oversight provisions in Congress’ $2 trillion coronavirus spending package, seeking to assert presidential authority over a new inspector general’s office.

The move could presage a major battle between the White House and Capitol Hill as the Trump administration moves to implement the new law.

In a White House signing statement released Friday evening, Trump called “unreasonable” the law’s mandate that a new Special Inspector General for Pandemic Recovery notify Congress immediately if the White House doesn’t cooperate with an audit or investigation. The new inspector general is supposed to monitor how the Treasury Department extends loans and loan guarantees to businesses, among other things.

Under the legislation, the new inspector general’s office is required to tell Congress “without delay” whenever administration officials are unreasonably withholding crucial information from investigators. But the White House signing statement said the administration will not allow the inspector general to tell Congress without “presidential supervision,” calling it a violation of executive branch authority.

“I do not understand, and my Administration will not treat, this provision as permitting the [inspector general] to issue reports to the Congress without the presidential supervision required by the Take Care Clause, Article II, section 3,” the White House statement said.

The new inspector general is supposed to be nominated by the White House and confirmed by the Senate.

The $2 trillion spending law gives the Treasury Department broad discretion in how it sets up new lending programs. Trump has signaled he wants certain industries, such as hotels and cruise ships, to have access to the taxpayer-backed funding. The Treasury Department has not said so far how it will decide who receives money and what the terms will be. Trump said Friday night that his aides would be consulting with top Wall Street executives to make some of the decisions.

Already violating the bipartisan bill meant to save our country. What could you expect from the Trump U. huckster. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/27/trump-coronavirus-inspector-general/

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Already violating the bipartisan bill meant to save our country. What could you expect from the Trump U. huckster. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/27/trump-coronavirus-inspector-general/

Why are you concerned about the $4 trillion opaque giveaway to businesses without oversight?  Don't you know the real problem is the $300 billion given to people, some of whom might not need it?  Focus dude.

Just now, TPS said:

Why are you concerned about the $4 trillion opaque giveaway to businesses without oversight?  Don't you know the real problem is the $300 billion given to people, some of whom might not need it?  Focus dude.

That's right, if the lazy unemployed get money, why shouldn't Trump hand out cash anyway he wants? 

the money hasn't gone anywhere yet but you know... don't let that stop you from crying, #orangemanbad.  whatever will you people do when he is gone? go back to screaming about the boogeyman under your bed? whether you realize it or not, that is essentially what you and your narrative feeders are doing.

Edited by Foxx
  • Awesome! (+1) 1