Canada closes its border to non-essential travel

21 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A lot of goods that normally flow both ways will be disrupted.  This is no small consequence.  

Would the goods still be allowed, but the truck driver must be an American citizen?

It still seems strange to me - like @LeviF91 said, with the amount of people ill in Washington and NYS,  Americans may be their problem!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Would the goods still be allowed, but the truck driver must be an American citizen?

It still seems strange to me - like @LeviF91 said, with the amount of people ill in Washington and NYS,  Americans may be their problem!

Based on previous experience working for a company that sent goods into Canada as well as bringing imports in from Canada I strongly doubt it.  But both sides could surprise me in the name of keeping the respective economies from seizing up.  The most immediate impact that I can see is agricultural products.  I am not current as to the flow of dairy products going either way.  Some US commodities such as soybeans were going to Canada to in turn go to China while the US was openly disputing trade with the Chinese.  Not unprecedented as US wheat went to Canada to in turn go to the Soviets after Carter's embargo in 1980.  Auto manufacturing most likely not as affected like it was a generation ago when stuff built by GM was going back and forth in the Detroit/Windsor, Ont area.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I had plans to see the Sabres in Montreal next week. Games are cancelled of course. I could still go but I don't think I'd risk leaving the country.

There are worse places to be "stuck."  They do have wonderful food there.

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

There are worse places to be "stuck."  They do have wonderful food there.

Don't I know it. My hotel was a block away from one of the better smoked meat establishments. On the way home I was going to stop in Magog for some hearth-baked bagels, too.

It's closed to "non essential" crossing. If you were looking to go on vacation or do some shopping, you aren't crossing the border. The borders are still allowing the crossing of commercial trucks.

In Ontario right now, most places have said if you leave the province, your in self isolation for 14 days