Phins signing Shaq 3yrs $30M - update had offer to return

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Wonder what Beane and company were offering him to stay?

I would hope significantly less than 10. Lawson is a part time edge setter.

But you know, he has progressed every year. Maybe he'll continue to get better.

Just now, MJS said:

I would hope significantly less than 10. Lawson is a part time edge setter.

But you know, he has progressed every year. Maybe he'll continue to get better.

He might, but he struggles in a 3-4 which is what Flores runs. He seemed to progress under McDermott’s 4-3 scheme, 3 year 30 million is too much for a rotational player

54 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Shaq played well because McDermott is one of the leagues best defensive coaches.  Shaq, IMO,  will not be heard of much with the Phins. 

I totally disagree. Last year, I said he looked like the perfect DE for the Belichick system based on how they exploit big DEs, and I thought the Pats would be very interested. Turns out I was sorta right. He is a fantastic fit for that system and actually a bad fit for McDermott’s, which makes stars out of quick twitch DEs like James Hardy.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He might, but he struggles in a 3-4 which is what Flores runs. He seemed to progress under McDermott’s 4-3 scheme, 3 year 30 million is too much for a rotational player

This just isn’t true. Anyway, the Pats system is a 3-4 in only the most loosest of senses. 

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I totally disagree. Last year, I said he looked like the perfect DE for the Belichick system based on how they exploit big DEs, and I thought the Pats would be very interested. Turns out I was sorta right. He is a fantastic fit for that system and actually a bad fit for McDermott’s, which makes stars out of quick twitch DEs like James Hardy.

This just isn’t true. Anyway, the Pats system is a 3-4 in only the most loosest of senses. 

But it is true, I remember in 2017 everyone was claiming him to being a bust and wanted him out of town, 2018 he did ok and 2019 was probably his best season as a Bill. His worst was under Rex who ran a 3-4 scheme. 30 million is too much for a rotational player

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why does a system exploiting big DE's make him a perfect fit as a big DE?

I was thinking less about system and more of McDermott as a coach.  I think he gets the best out of players.  We're not exactly a star studded defense - yet we're one of the best in the league.  Lawson being in our division doesn't bother me in the least.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, that's an overall average.

But when you look at the real numbers and add base salary and bonuses, his hit this year is $9.775M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/

And cutting him would leave $1.75M in dead money.  The delta for keeping him is $8.025M.  Despite the excessive criticism of him by some here, he’s worth that versus opening up a huge hole there.

The Bills need to add at least one other DE with starting capability this offseason.  A rookie who could rotate and learn under Murphy and Hughes this season would be a very good solution.  A high end free agent would work well too and make Murphy the rotational DE.  If we can get both then we can talk about whether we move on from Murphy or Hughes. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And with that, the last of the Whaley/Wrecks crew has left the building 

Good riddance...

well to wrecks.  Whaley was a mixed bag. Love bean x1000000 more. But I thought Whales ‘flashed’ With some occasional solid moves. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

53 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But it is true, I remember in 2017 everyone was claiming him to being a bust and wanted him out of town, 2018 he did ok and 2019 was probably his best season as a Bill. His worst was under Rex who ran a 3-4 scheme. 30 million is too much for a rotational player

He was injured and young under Rex, who ran a by-then ridiculous (because ridiculously complicated) scheme. I wouldn’t overinterpret those seasons.

51 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Why does a system exploiting big DE's make him a perfect fit as a big DE?

I was thinking less about system and more of McDermott as a coach.  I think he gets the best out of players.  We're not exactly a star studded defense - yet we're one of the best in the league.  Lawson being in our division doesn't bother me in the least.

A system that exploits their advantages. Belichick has always been great at scheming to effectively set the edge and creating confusion from his mix of rushers, especially guys who are multiple (big but with decent pass rush ability) like Shaq.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Awesome! (+1) 1