Phins signing Shaq 3yrs $30M - update had offer to return

8 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:
The #Dolphins are giving Shaq Lawson a 3-year deal worth $30M, source said. A nice payday.

really suprised we didn't match that.  That's not outlandish, esp. given he played 1/2 snaps with 6.5 sacks.   not sure what great pass-rushers/DE's are avaialble in FA.  And the draft does not look great.  The top guy Chassion from LSU has no numbers to back up his athletic ability (looks like the guy from Michigan who went high last year).  And the others look like 2nd rounders who will go in the 1st (Gross-Matos, Epenesa).  I guess Baun at LB is possible.  

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Beane is showing he puts a number down for a guy and won’t go over it. In particular when the guy has been in the building for 4 years. Beane and McDermott know what they are doing. I trust their evaluation of anyone on the defense. 

they have proven to be trustworthy.  Wondering what the replacement strategy is, however.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

really suprised we didn't match that.  That's not outlandish, esp. given he played 1/2 snaps with 6.5 sacks.   not sure what great pass-rushers/DE's are avaialble in FA.  And the draft does not look great.  The top guy Chassion from LSU has no numbers to back up his athletic ability (looks like the guy from Michigan who went high last year).  And the others look like 2nd rounders who will go in the 1st (Gross-Matos, Epenesa).  I guess Baun at LB is possible.  

they have proven to be trustworthy.  Wondering what the replacement strategy is, however.  

They are gonna get us someone. You know Beane has his wizard hat on tight all week. Ha

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No state income tax and warmer weather.  I wonder if Shaq gave Beane the opportunity to match it?

Side note: This really isnt as big a deal to players as us fans make it. They pay state income tax for where ever each game is played. So at best it's a 50/50 savings. Plus, almost none of these guys are looking that deep into the numbers.

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

He's a nice player and would have been good to keep at a reasonable price.  But not at $10M per for only 50% of the snaps.  

Can't keep everyone, and I'm OK with not overpaying to keep Shaq

We're paying Trent Murphy $9.775M this year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Putin said:

With every signings so far I get more and more depressed, Bean better do something BIG and SOON  ,

Patience young grasshopper. The same thing happened last year and we wound up with a great free agency group. Outside of Hopkins, is there anyone we really would have wanted at the years.money they signed for? None of my favorite targets have come off the board yet.

As for Shaq, I didn't want to lose him but the Phins overpaid. 

Just my opinion, but generally the teams making the huge signings in the first wave of free agency tend to regret it. We're hopefully taking the smarter approach again.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Side note: This really isnt as big a deal to players as us fans make it. They pay state income tax for where ever each game is played. So at best it's a 50/50 savings. Plus, almost none of these guys are looking that deep into the numbers.

Agents are well aware that they don't have to pay state income tax on at least 50% of their games.  It's just a small advantage these teams have when recruiting free agents.