Rams in talks with 3 teams to trade Brandin Cooks

Just now, DCOrange said:

Yes.

Makes me think buyer beware here. I know we took a shot on Morse, but I don't see us using assets to get a guy with such an injury history playing at the WR position. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Makes me think buyer beware here. I know we took a shot on Morse, but I don't see us using assets to get a guy with such an injury history playing at the WR position. 

It's definitely a risk, but that's why it won't be a first round pick and why it becomes potentially a risk worth taking. I'd be fine taking the chance with a 2nd round pick personally but I understand if others wouldn't go for it.

Just now, DCOrange said:

It's definitely a risk, but that's why it won't be a first round pick and why it becomes potentially a risk worth taking. I'd be fine taking the chance with a 2nd round pick personally but I understand if others wouldn't go for it.

I wouldn't pony up a 2nd tbh. I'd go as high as a 3rd, or combine a 4th and a 6th. 

I'd be happy wit ha move like this assuming not a high price tag.  I'd prefer they draft a rookie, but rookie WR can take longer to develop.  This way not depending on the rookie for much production this year at least the first half.  Whatever you get from the rookie is gravy as have three others plus Knox that can keep defenses honest.

May even be tougher this year for rookies as time working with QB may be curtailed due to virus issues?

As an aside I wonder if Josh is still working out with Palmer or has that been put on hold too?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am somewhere between you and @DCOrange on this one. I am thinking a #3. 

I think a 3 gets it done. Goff/McVay hasn’t been able to utilize Cooks as well as he should, and the emergence of intermediate guys like Woods and Kupp make him a luxury. 

Cooks has benefit to their offense as a field stretcher, but that’s a luxury that a team with a depleted talent pipeline may not be able to afford. 

BTW, I would 100% be in with our 3rd. If we go Tee or another WR in the first, and our group looks like Cooks, Brown, Higgins, Beasley as WR 1-4,  we are easily in the top 12 in WR groups in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Another often injured player. But that speed is appealing. Whats his contract? Id give a 6th for him if the contract is reasonable.

Probably subject to change depending on what the Rams do. It's one of those contracts where there's a substantial dead cap amount for the Rams if they trade him. But as of right now, cap hits of 16.8, 16.8, 17.8, and 17.4 million left.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am somewhere between you and @DCOrange on this one. I am thinking a #3. 

Yeah, if we trade our 3rd for him, I’d understand it but I just think we could find a better fit to spend a 3rd and big bucks on.  He’s got 16-17 mill a year coming to him for a few more years. I just don’t think I want to spend all those resources (that’s a lot of money) in another small catch radius wr.

then would we still be looking to add a wr in the first 2 rounds of the draft?  Cooks 17 mill, brown 9.75, Beasley 7.3 plus a top draft pick in this draft?  I just don’t know if we’re going to invest all of that into WR.  I can’t help but look at the height and catch radius of the top 3 WRs and lack of precision of our QB on deep balls

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

Another often injured player. But that speed is appealing. Whats his contract? Id give a 6th for him if the contract is reasonable.

Lots.  multiple years at over 16 mill per 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Probably subject to change depending on what the Rams do. It's one of those contracts where there's a substantial dead cap amount for the Rams if they trade him. But as of right now, cap hits of 16.8, 16.8, 17.8, and 17.4 million left.

Let the Jets over pay for him.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, if we trade our 3rd for him, I’d understand it but I just think we could find a better fit to spend a 3rd and big bucks on.  He’s got 16-17 mill a year coming to him for a few more years. I just don’t think I want to spend all those resources (that’s a lot of money) in another small catch radius wr.

then would we still be looking to add a wr in the first 2 rounds of the draft?  Cooks 17 mill, brown 9.75, Beasley 7.3 plus a top draft pick in this draft?  I just don’t know if we’re going to invest all of that into WR.  I can’t help but look at the height and catch radius of the top 3 WRs and lack of precision of our QB on deep balls

Lots.  multiple years at over 16 mill per 

The flip side is that Cooks gives you flexibility at 22 in terms of BPA. I would be okay with trading a third for him, going BPA at not necessarily WR in the first and second and then trading up in the third for another WR who falls.

We would also likely restructure Cooks to spread out his hit a little more and give him some more guaranteed money in recompense.