COSTCO & WEGMANS today

Marv's Neighbor

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

We went to Costo and there was limit on number of cases of water.

Lady ahead of us asked "No water."

We said "No."

She asked cashier id she could use our card but pay with her credit card.

He said "Yes."

So she got her extra water but no idea if she was turned back by door checker.

Why not use tapwater?

I'm gonna brave BJ's in Schenectady after work today.  I haven't left the house beyond walking in the neighborhood in 2+ weeks now.  We're not out of anything critical yet but I really want to put a shoulder on the smoker, jonesing for some pulled pork.

Went to Tops today.

LOTS of limits per household, not per brand:

1 package of eggs (it was loaded)
1 Flour (it was sparse)
1 Bleach (it was wiped out)
2 Water (gallons/multipacks, it was loaded)
2 Milk (it was loaded)
2 Laundry Soaps (it had plenty, but not full)
2 Dish Soaps (it was wiped out)
2 Paper Towels (wiped out)
2 Facial Tissue (wiped out)

2 TP (none)
2 Cough and Cold (Hubby said there was plenty)
4 Cereal ( it was loaded)
4 Frozen Vegetables (it was loaded)
4 Pasta Sauce (it had plenty, but not full)

And a buncha other stuff I didn't look at was also limited: disinfectant wipes (2), disinfectant sprays (2), hand sanitizer (2), rubbing alcohol (2), peanut butter (2), diapers (2), baby wipes (2) and a few more things in the meat department (large packs of chicken and 80%ground beef).

I have no idea if this is for all Tops, or just  the one where we went shopping. I took photos, but pretty much it was the laundry aisle was wiped out, and so was the tp/facial tissue/paper towel aisle.

Getting tired of this!!  You don't see that many empty shelves but there's a bunch of stuff nobody wants in its place.  Seems as though Costco is moving all their stuff off the ceiling to fill in the blanks.

Checkouts are a joke.  Wegmans has to sanitize the belt before  you can step up to put your items on.  Costco makes you stand between the yellow stop bars before you can even get to the check out register.

Had an item to return at Costco today.  Had top enter through the normal entry side, to be "counted," then slide over to the exit side to cross two lanes of exiting shoppers, to get to the return counter.  The drive over and back was less complicated!  Overheard a fellow shopper saying "this is freakin ridiculous!!"   She was right!

I think the hoarding thing has mostly stopped. People will have their TP and paper towel supply for a couple years at the ridiculous rate they bought. The limit on some things now is because the hoarders wiped them out and the supply is trying to catch up.

• Like (+1) 1

Different Tops this morning, and wow was it packed (before 9am). The lines were 4 deep.
The store had posted old people hours (60+) for Tuesday and Thursday 6am-7:30am
The limits were almost all gone except eggs (one, but the medium sized had no limits), and flour (one).

We were going to shop at Aldi's afterward, but the parking lot was full, so we passed.

....went to local Walmart yesterday and Home Depot today......both have only ONE entrance and exit with a maze out front.......sadly at Walmart yesterday, there was a "young citizen (COUGH)" hovering at the exit with unbagged stuff in his hand, waiting for his opportune time......as expected, he bolted through the EXIT line, almost knocking over an elderly couple, ducking under the maze out front and running into the parking lot......got an email from a friend in Cleveland who said their Walmart now has UNDERWEAR under lock and key......underwear??.....must be to compensate for TP shortage.......good Lord, it is depressing...........

On 3/29/2020 at 1:19 PM, Limeaid said:

No idea. I do not buy bottled water for myself and water in area has no issue.

Sort of think bottled water is like pet rocks but I usually drink juice, tea or iced tea for water.

We use bottled water at the camp because while we have running water for the toilet and bathroom sink, none of us want to drink or cook with it since it comes from an ancient spring cistern that's at least 80 years old.  We also have a large trash barrel to collect the damn water bottles ... and we still find some that escape.  PITA. I never use bottled water at home but occasionally I'll buy a bottle while traveling or at an event.

I'm doing online lists for Kroger now, hell if I'm going into those stores again. It's honestly now safer to LICK the carts than it is to actually be in the stores. Be smart, people.

We're out to SATURDAY afternoon for the first available pickup slot. Glad I have one tonight (from Wednesday morning). 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, Limeaid said:

We went to Costo and there was limit on number of cases of water.

Lady ahead of us asked "No water."

We said "No."

She asked cashier id she could use our card but pay with her credit card.

He said "Yes."

So she got her extra water but no idea if she was turned back by door checker.

I'd have probably asked her why she needed it.  Kind of crazy the way some people are acting. water isn't a problem. 

11 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I'd have probably asked her why she needed it.  Kind of crazy the way some people are acting. water isn't a problem. 

At work we have a machine which fills cup with filtered water encouraging people to not waste plastic on bottles. on every floor. 

People (when there were people still there) still buy water in bottles and they still use water in bottles for events.

Like pet rocks this is something marketers have created a market for.

In one case we got a recall letter on some cases of water "we" bought (my wife did, I never do) and reason was the place they got water from (not a stream, just a municipal water supply) had been contaminated.  We could return for refund but not have water anymore.

Some people DO need to buy bottled water.  My impression is Niagara Falls (US) water calls mental degradation.

The wife and I went to Costco this morning at around 9:30.  If you're able to do it, weekdays are by far the best.  There were a decent number of people, but we may as well have had the place to ourselves.  I never thought I'd see the day where I could walk right up to a cash register in that store.

...pretty disturbing occurrence that Wegmans, one of our premier construction accounts is facing this......they have had to suspend all self-checkouts.....we learned from several Store Managers that "customers (COUGH)" go into the Produce Dept, weigh a green pepper for example, print of a 69 cent label, only to affix it on meat or bulk poultry items and then proceed to self-checkout......

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty disturbing occurrence that Wegmans, one of our premier construction accounts is facing this......they have had to suspend all self-checkouts.....we learned from several Store Managers that "customers (COUGH)" go into the Produce Dept, weigh a green pepper for example, print of a 69 cent label, only to affix it on meat or bulk poultry items and then proceed to self-checkout......

That's nothing new, people have been doing that since self checkouts started being installed in stores. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

That's nothing new, people have been doing that since self checkouts started being installed in stores. 

And they've also gone the fake label route even with real cashiers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.