Jags trade Calais to balt for a 5th

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

You're just being obtuse now...

In what way? We need a guy who gets sacks. We have run defenders, we have guys who generate pressure, we have pass defenders. Consistent sacks production is something we haven't had since Mario left.

Just now, Lurker said:

If all you've got are stats, I can't help you...

That's what we are missing. Actual stats.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Absorbing a $16m cap hit for a 34 year old DT - pass. Invest at DE or offense

What is the expected contract? I would pay him a two year deal at 16 a year but I assume he gets more with at least 40 guaranteed and that is a lot for an old tackle.

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

In what way? We need a guy who gets sacks. We have run defenders, we have guys who generate pressure, we have pass defenders. Consistent sacks production is something we haven't had since Mario left.

Consistent pressure and being the #1 DE league-wide against the run at the same time?    Yeah, who needs that.   

2019 :

Campbell--6.5 sacks and 25 quarterback hits

Jerry Hughes--4.5 sacks, 9 quarterback hits

Trent Murphy--5.0  sacks, 9 quarterback hits

Edit:   to put those QB hits in perspective, here are some 2019 comparables:

ChandlerJones--26

Aaron Donald--24

JJ Watt--21

Yannick Ngakoue--15

Trent Murphy's good enough...

Edited by Lurker

50 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So, for all the complaints about $15 million in cap space:   Cut Trent Murphy and use his $9.8 million in savings to pay two-thirds of that hit.   

Would anyone say we woundn't be a better team in 2020 by paying that net $5 million more for Calais???... 

Agreed, unless we use Murphy's $9.8 M on Clowney or something similar.  The other issue with Campbell as other's have eluded to...I think Baltimore are going to have to pay him for at least a new 3 year deal which is a significant cap commitment for any teams long term plan.  I could be wrong.  But, a 3 year deal at his price will change our long term plan which the Bills FO is currently executing very well.  If Campbell plays out the one year deal its a great deal for Baltimore.

47 minutes ago, Manther said:

.I think Baltimore are going to have to pay him for at least a new 3 year deal which is a significant cap commitment for any teams long term plan.  

Already signed a 2-year, $27 million deal with Baltimore.  $20 million guaranteed in 2020, just a $7 million hit in 2021...

https://clutchpoints.com/ravens-news-calais-campbell-sign-2-year-27-million-deal-with-baltimore-after-trade-from-jaguars/

Edit:  3:37pm

OK, here's a better breakdown of Campbell's new contract.  The initial tweets I saw were wrong, and the Raven's are paying a whole lot more than I originally reported (making this less deal less attractive).  I'd still rather have him than Trent Murphy, however...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/calais-campbell-3941/

Edited by Lurker
  • Sad 1

Just now, Lurker said:

Already signed a 2-year, $27 million deal with Baltimore.  $20 million guaranteed in 2020, just a $7 million hit in 2021...

https://clutchpoints.com/ravens-news-calais-campbell-sign-2-year-27-million-deal-with-baltimore-after-trade-from-jaguars/

This is a total kick to the nuts.

I hate seeing a move happen that more than a few predicted months in advance, for minimal compensation, followed by a reasonable contract, and to have it be a competitor for the AFC is aggravating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would of done this trade 100%
but ya never know.. this could be one of those times Beane tried and maybe Campbell didn’t wanna play here, or only wanted to play for a couple teams he felt he would get a Super Bowl chance with. He’s at the end so maybe Jacksonville tried his favorite teams first. It’s possible with the low compensation they got. Either way he’s a raven and we’re on to the next recruit 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

This is a total kick to the nuts.

I hate seeing a move happen that more than a few predicted months in advance, for minimal compensation, followed by a reasonable contract, and to have it be a competitor for the AFC is aggravating.

I hear you. I think I predicted this almost exactly happening.

Real bummer

edit: almost got the restructured contact too lol

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

I hear you. I think I predicted this almost exactly happening.

Real bummer

Wouldn’t surprise me. Campbell-for-a-5th-in-2020 became a thing last summer for folks paying close attention to the cap and relative downward trend of the Jags.

Right now, my favorite idea is pilfering RFAs from Pittsburgh; we’ll see if that comes to fruition.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Bingo. That's why they got him for a 5th. This was a cap dump.

He's not that good anymore. That's the issue.

Emotives gonna emote.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

So, for all the complaints about $15 million in cap space:   Cut Trent Murphy and use his $9.8 million in savings to pay two-thirds of that hit.   

Would anyone say we woundn't be a better team in 2020 by paying that net $5 million more for Calais???... 

Why, oh why, do people INSIST on linking to that ***** site?

it's PFF.

it's TRASH.