Jags trade Calais to balt for a 5th

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Surely Beane could have offered one of our 4ths.     Curious...

Or one of our 5ths....both are higher than Baltimore's.  I'm assuming Beane inquired about it, maybe didn't want to give an extension to a 33 year old, idk

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yes, this is extremely frustrating. It seems like great teams are always trading crappy picks for great players, and the Bills never do.

I would not make that trade for Campbell and would have been pretty surprised if Beane did 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Old and expensive. Those guys cost less. And the Jags needed him off the books so weren’t going to hang around and wait to see if they could do better. 

Oh ok thanks. I didn't realize he was older, for someone reason I thought he was younger. That is my bad.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would not make that trade for Campbell and would have been pretty surprised if Beane did 

Yeah this isn’t a move that would be good for us.  People worried about Hughes getting older yet he’s older than Hughes and has a big contract.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah this isn’t a move that would be good for us.  People worried about Hughes getting older yet he’s older than Hughes and has a big contract.

It’s a one year deal. The only potential downside to trading for him would be the opportunity cost of spending $15 million of our cap space on him but he’s literally one of the best players in the league at his position so we probably couldn’t have done any better.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Absorbing a $16m cap hit for a 34 year old DT - pass. Invest at DE or offense

Bingo. That's why they got him for a 5th. This was a cap dump.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And yet cap space isn’t a concern whatsoever..... Bills need to make moves for guys like this one with FA approaching....at times I fear McBeane are too conservative.

He’s better than anything this team has at pass rusher..... come on. 

Don’t we say this every offseason when we lose out on a FA/don’t make a trade? 

He's not that good anymore. That's the issue.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And yet cap space isn’t a concern whatsoever..... Bills need to make moves for guys like this one with FA approaching....at times I fear McBeane are too conservative.

He’s better than anything this team has at pass rusher..... come on. 

Don’t we say this every offseason when we lose out on a FA/don’t make a trade? 

Wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It’s a one year deal. The only potential downside to trading for him would be the opportunity cost of spending $15 million of our cap space on him but he’s literally one of the best players in the league at his position so we probably couldn’t have done any better.  

But we don’t need a one year rental.  We aren’t 1 34 year old DE from a SB.  

And everyone freaking out about this hasn’t considered we haven’t begun FA or draft yet.  How do you know we won’t find a better and longer term player?

I mean, I’m not losing sleep we didn’t pickup a 34 DE for one year.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

Go for a young DJ Reader   who is good at run defense. If they can't sign him and Shaq they may have to draft a DE at 22. 

Could Texans DT D.J. Reader end up with the Bills?

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/13/texans-d-j-reader-bills/

The more I think of this, I would really love this. I heard someone quote on here Bills players saying they had to account for him every snap. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But we don’t need a one year rental.  We aren’t 1 34 year old DE from a SB.  

And everyone freaking out about this hasn’t considered we haven’t begun FA or draft yet.  How do you know we won’t find a better and longer term player?

I mean, I’m not losing sleep we didn’t pickup a 34 DE for one year.

I’m not freaking out about our team, but to answer your question, he might be the best in the league at his position. We may be able to find a long term fit but we won’t find a more talented player. 

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's not that good anymore. That's the issue.

This just isn’t true. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCOrange said:

I’m not freaking out about our team, but to answer your question, he might be the best in the league at his position. We may be able to find a long term fit but we won’t find a more talented player. 

I love Chris Jones, but between paying a fine young man in his prime and an older gent who can give a few years at a cheaper rate than Jones (with our cap situation, a team ready to compete and a QB on a rookie deal), sign me up