Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency

Big Turk

3 hours ago, boater said:

Small local businesses don't have the deep pockets to weather this storm. I'm going to practice my social distancing and continue to patronize the local small business (unless, of course, I'm symptomatic).

I went to one restaurant, the owner/manager was distraught. I was his only customer that hour.

It has already been reported that this interruption will be very hard on college towns like Ithaca, Geneva, Alfred, etc..  Cornell is going to finish the semester once back from spring break online.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Look at your old lysol bottle or clorox wipes ,been on there for years.

Coronavirus is a catch all for the type of virus it is, speaks to the shape of the virus.  COVID 19 is the type of Coronavirus.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Covid 19 is a new variant of the virus. The Trump admin may need to take some control if people don't take a breath and act reasonably. No one wants that so social distance and keep buggering on. 

PS Don't post when you're sauced. 

Edited by Sundancer

15 hours ago, boater said:

Small local businesses don't have the deep pockets to weather this storm. I'm going to practice my social distancing and continue to patronize the local small business (unless, of course, I'm symptomatic).

I went to one restaurant, the owner/manager was distraught. I was his only customer that hour.

A friend of ours has a Japanese restaurant and has excellent food so we went to it since we heard business is down.  She refused to let us pay bill and we have discussed this with her in past and she said she will not do that anymore but she went back to that again.  Cannot even leave a tip for waiter for she is our waitress.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

A friend of ours has a Japanese restaurant and has excellent food so we went to it since we heard business is down.  She refused to let us pay bill and we have discussed this with her in past and she said she will not do that anymore but she went back to that again.  Cannot even leave a tip for waiter for she is our waitress.

Dine & dash.  In this case leave the appropriate amount of cash under your teacup. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, bbb said:

But, a whole bunch of people on my FB timeline think it's hilarious how they all went into crowded bars, etc. yesterday.

Can't people not go out for one friggin weekend, when everything else is totally shut down??

I was out Saturday.........now it's mandated they all close, so it's hunker down time officially. I'm not going to stop living my life. Just gotta be aware of your surroundings and hands.

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

PS Don't post when you're sauced. 

Does this mean I'm banned from TBD? 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Coronavirus is a family of viruses that cause disease in animals. Most can’t infect humans. 

This is a new version we have never seen before. That’s why they call it Novel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel_virus (definition of novel virus)

This will make only the 7th coronavirus known to infect humans -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

23 hours ago, bbb said:

But, a whole bunch of people on my FB timeline think it's hilarious how they all went into crowded bars, etc. yesterday.

Can't people not go out for one friggin weekend, when everything else is totally shut down??

As the meme I saw says "Your grandparents were asked to go to war [and they went].  You are being asked to sit on your couch for a while.  You can do this!"

20 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Depew, Lancaster, Clarence, Williamsville and GI are all now closed until further notice from what I heard...Depew for sure...we got a text saying as much from the school district

Apparently they found out this virus appeared in November 2017 if not earlier...that was as far as they have been able to trace it back to so far...

Apparently it mutated to a point where it spreads far more quickly and easily than it did in 2017 tho...

I would appreciate a link here and a definition of "they", because that's not the gouge of the virologists I've been following.  Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As the meme I saw says "Your grandparents were asked to go to war [and they went].  You are being asked to sit on your couch for a while.  You can do this!"

I would appreciate a link here and a definition of "they", because that's not the gouge of the virologists I've been following.  Thanks!

They as in the Chinese government...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/first-covid-19-case-can-be-traced-back-to-november-2017-in-chinas-hubei-province-report/articleshow/74608199.cms

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if this was posted.  Town of Cheektowaga declares it too... Within Erie County..

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county/cheektowaga/town-of-cheektowaga-declares-state-of-emergency/

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I read April 2018... But.11/17 is close.

EDIT: 11/17/19... Ooops... Gonna try and find link where I read similar sickness in 2018...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Not what I was looking for but interesting. Same year the Pandemic Response Team was fired:

Epidemics Going Viral: Innovation vs. Nature

In April 2018, a group of renowned researchers, clinicians, public health officials, and others with first-hand experience dealing with epidemics explored the complex challenges of global health emergencies, as well as potential solutions. Watch the video:

https://interactives.nejm.org/iv/playlist/index.html?media_id=siCcYW3U&pcs=sidebar