Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency

Big Turk

Since this Erie County / Western New York / (((((( Downstate New York ))))) [social isolation] thread perhaps owner could rename it?

https://www.newsbreak.com/new-york/buffalo/news/0OhsGWCs/founder-of-tarantino-foods-dies-of-covid-19

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/founder-of-tarantino-foods-dies-of-covid-19

The original founder of Tarantino Foods on Bailey Avenue has died of COVID-19.

Family members say 99 year-old John P. Tarantino Sr. tested positive for the virus Tuesday. He passed away on Wednesday evening.

My sister worked there and he unknowingly had virus. 

She caught it from him when she helped him on with coat.

She fortunately caught a mild version of the virus, did not require ICU and is home in isolation.

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am wondering at how the "need Federal partnership" will play out

Probably as well as NFL / NFLPA partnership.  Whatever cannot be agreed to in agreement will be settled by repeated lawsuits.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Since this Erie County / Western New York / (((((( Downstate New York ))))) [social isolation] thread perhaps owner could rename it?

https://www.newsbreak.com/new-york/buffalo/news/0OhsGWCs/founder-of-tarantino-foods-dies-of-covid-19

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/founder-of-tarantino-foods-dies-of-covid-19

My sister worked there and he unknowingly had virus. 

She caught it from him when she helped him on with coat.

She fortunately caught a mild version of the virus, did not require ICU and is home in isolation.

Probably as well as NFL / NFLPA partnership.  Whatever cannot be agreed to in agreement will be settled by repeated lawsuits.

I think some of these older people have accepted if it kills them, that's ok.  I seen your other post and question why he was anywhere but his house completely isolated.

My grandpa is in his 90s and he refuses to not go to the grocery stores.  Tough to tell a guy in his 90s how to live.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I think some of these older people have accepted if it kills them, that's ok.  I seen your other post and question why he was anywhere but his house completely isolated.

My grandpa is in his 90s and he refuses to not go to the grocery stores.  Tough to tell a guy in his 90s how to live.

The founder almost never missed a day of work even holidays.  

I know to his last day he was working on selling items to hospitals, nursing home, etc. at half price since restaurants cancelled orders, etc.

25 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Then have they put that in writing?  Because if they haven't, they could wind up paralyzed on ventilator for a month. 

Not to be morbid, but practically speaking, your grandpa needs to think through what medical procedures he would and would not want.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then have they put that in writing?  Because if they haven't, they could wind up paralyzed on ventilator for a month. 

Not to be morbid, but practically speaking, your grandpa needs to think through what medical procedures he would and would not want.

That's already been decided.  He wouldn't even go to a hospital if he got it.  Like you said morbid, but he is very content with everything.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency
6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I've been working since this whole thing started, I work in landscaping and we've been deemed essential the whole time. While I was out working this past Friday, I noticed alot of construction people out working. Saw some people building decks and framing houses, which as far as I know is still considered non essential. I'm starting to wonder if people are saying screw it and just working 

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

I've been working since this whole thing started, I work in landscaping and we've been deemed essential the whole time. While I was out working this past Friday, I noticed alot of construction people out working. Saw some people building decks and framing houses, which as far as I know is still considered non essential. I'm starting to wonder if people are saying screw it and just working 

The guidance I found online is a bit ambiguous.  As essential, it includes

Construction, Including:

• skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers 
  • other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes

I guess if they claim the deck is an "emergency repair" or that it would be unsafe to leave it in a partly-built condition, that would be allowed.
The thing is, unless NY is unique, local municipal building inspectors generally want to inspect stuff like that - they want to inspect the holes and footings for the deck, for example. 

So the local municipalities must know and approve.

Upstate New York is a bit concerning.  It looked for a while like Buffalo was really flattening, onto the "every 2 weeks" line and below, but now it's had an uptick and back onto "doubling every 11 days".  I hope this is a testing capacity increase or something.
image.thumb.png.9dd6b29bd18cf2e1590125953be7674f.png

There are absolutely some businesses that are violating the stay at home orders.

A friend of mine’s work got in trouble. He works collections and his place was still allowing everyone to work - in an enclosed building. No windows, where about 100 people sit crowded together. I believe someone blew them in because I saw on social media that the police showed up and shut them down. Now he’s working from home.

If you know a business is violating the orders and putting people’s lives at risk, you can report them to the NY attorney General (I’m not telling anyone to do it or anything, just providing the info):

Attorney general - 212-416-8700

Email - labor.bureau@AG.NY.GOV

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

There are absolutely some businesses that are violating the stay at home orders.

A friend of mine’s work got in trouble. He works collections and his place was still allowing everyone to work - in an enclosed building. No windows, where about 100 people sit crowded together. I believe someone blew them in because I saw on social media that the police showed up and shut them down. Now he’s working from home.

If you know a business is violating the orders and putting people’s lives at risk, you can report them to the NY attorney General (I’m not telling anyone to do it or anything, just providing the info):

Attorney general - 212-416-8700

Email - labor.bureau@AG.NY.GOV

The fact that the curve in a lot of places in upstate NY initially flattened and now is on an upward trajectory again implies there's a substantial group which is not doing what they should  - or has restarted doing what they shouldn't - and of course this is only dragging out the pain for those who are following the rules.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The fact that the curve in a lot of places in upstate NY initially flattened and now is on an upward trajectory again implies there's a substantial group which is not doing what they should  - or has restarted doing what they shouldn't - and of course this is only dragging out the pain for those who are following the rules.

In many places in upstate NY the amount of testing has recently increased significantly, which may be the cause of the increasing numbers of cases.  I have been tracking the number of hospitalized as a benchmark.  In my area (Oneida County, the heart shaped county in the heart of New York) the number in hospital has been hovering around 30 for over a week.  I will get worried if that number goes up.

https://hoccpp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/d88f4e10d59d4553b24c3add5abcbb0b

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

In many places in upstate NY the amount of testing has recently increased significantly, which may be the cause of the increasing numbers of cases.  I have been tracking the number of hospitalized as a benchmark.  In my area (Oneida County, the heart shaped county in the heart of New York) the number in hospital has been hovering around 30 for over a week.  I will get worried if that number goes up.

https://hoccpp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/d88f4e10d59d4553b24c3add5abcbb0b

Yeah, it's a valid point.  If the amount of testing goes up, the cases will increase - but I think if the amount of disease is actually constant, one would expect the cases to jump up, but the slope to then stabilize at the same slope, just at a higher level? 

That doesn't seem to be what's happening.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:08 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it's a valid point.  If the amount of testing goes up, the cases will increase - but I think if the amount of disease is actually constant, one would expect the cases to jump up, but the slope to then stabilize at the same slope, just at a higher level? 

That doesn't seem to be what's happening.

https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-statistics-tracking-epidemic-new-york

charts clearly show the increase in cases tracks with the increase in tests performed

the big item not increasing are death, which are consistently declining

11 hours ago, spartacus said:

https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-statistics-tracking-epidemic-new-york

charts clearly show the increase in cases tracks with the increase in tests performed

the big item not increasing are death, which are consistently declining

Good source, btw, lots of interesting stuff there.

I assume you're talking about this graph.  Any idea what was up with the big spike on 4/24, which looks like it was a one day thing followed by a modest increase?

image.thumb.png.fd1cd835e7fbdafff5d7bfbcf88c16cc.png

What I was looking at is this kind of graph:

image.thumb.png.2c574126b84eab8c7762637778eabfc5.png

At the point where I was commenting, it looked as though the Buffalo area had transitioned onto a higher slope, not just a jump up in numbers.

But now it appears to have done just what I was saying, and jumped up on the date that ~corresponds to the testing jump you noted, but then settled back down onto the same slope of doubling every 13 days.  Phew.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good source, btw, lots of interesting stuff there.

I assume you're talking about this graph.  Any idea what was up with the big spike on 4/24, which looks like it was a one day thing followed by a modest increase?

image.thumb.png.fd1cd835e7fbdafff5d7bfbcf88c16cc.png

What I was looking at is this kind of graph:

image.thumb.png.2c574126b84eab8c7762637778eabfc5.png

At the point where I was commenting, it looked as though the Buffalo area had transitioned onto a higher slope, not just a jump up in numbers.

But now it appears to have done just what I was saying, and jumped up on the date that ~corresponds to the testing jump you noted, but then settled back down onto the same slope of doubling every 13 days.  Phew.

likely that results from week ends are underreported and do not hit the chart until mid-week when entered to system.

this roller coaster is pretty consistent

the last week is much bigger which coincides with availability of more tests