Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency

Big Turk

Just finished up a conference call that included some people in Mumbai.  They are on 21 day lockdown and say it's starting to spread there.  They tell me the temperature in Mumbai hasn't dropped below about 77.  I'm no longer hopeful that this is going to take a break here over the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, driddles said:

Just finished up a conference call that included some people in Mumbai.  They are on 21 day lockdown and say it's starting to spread there.  They tell me the temperature in Mumbai hasn't dropped below about 77.  I'm no longer hopeful that this is going to take a break here over the summer.

Summer alone stops nothing--it might only slow the spread. In India, people live on top of each other in ways NYC would be jealous of. I really hope it doesn't catch on there. There is no way, literally no way, they could stop it. No way they could isolate. No way they could test. No way they could track. No way they could provide medical care. It would run its course through 1.4B people. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Summer alone stops nothing--it might only slow the spread. In India, people live on top of each other in ways NYC would be jealous of. I really hope it doesn't catch on there. There is no way, literally no way, they could stop it. No way they could isolate. No way they could test. No way they could track. No way they could provide medical care. It would run its course through 1.4B people. 

They mentioned about how virtually impossible it is to stay away from people in Mumbai.  The 2 that were on the call also told me it's common for apartments there to not have windows.  Can't imagine a 21 day lockdown in a windowless apartment.  I'd go crazy.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’ve been praying it wouldn’t hit India hard. Spooky to hear it’s there and starting to spread. 

I have many dear friends in Delhi. I too worry for them. The city and country would be helpless. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:34 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’ve been praying it wouldn’t hit India hard. Spooky to hear it’s there and starting to spread. 

If you're a praying person, Pray for them... because in many spots they are packed in like sardines, and while in places their health care is very good....in others it is minimal, and even where it's good, it's scarce.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're a praying person, Pray for them... because in many spots they are packed in like sardines, and while in places their health care is very good....in others it is minimal, and even where it's good, it's scarce.

Ya the slums could get hit really hard. We complain here in America, and yes we definitely have our issues, but we're fortunate enough not to live like some countries in the world do

9 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Cuomo closes N.Y. schools through 4/15

Unlike Governors from other states, he continues to take it two weeks at a time.

I did not catch the full story on the television news two nights ago but it sounded like Cuomo is being advised to cancel the rest of the 2019-2020 school year.  We shall see where this goes.

55 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I did not catch the full story on the television news two nights ago but it sounded like Cuomo is being advised to cancel the rest of the 2019-2020 school year.  We shall see where this goes.

inevitable but no pressing need to announce. . I wonder about the fall. 

I've been telling my wife since the day they closed school it was going to be for the year. They should just call it indefinite until everything is taken care of. There seems to be more and more potential fall out piling up everyday.

Virginia's governor issued stay at home order

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/490187-virginia-governor-orders-stay-at-home-order-in-the-midst-of-pandemic

Northam said people should only leave their homes to obtain food, supplies or medical care, or for exercise. All gatherings of more than 10 people are banned.

"This has been a suggestion to Virginians. Today, it’s an order," he added.

Any person holding a gathering of 10 or more people can be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor, through the governor's previous executive order closing nonessential businesses.

What was listed allowed does not even include people going to jobs which are not closed. 

I already know it's a virtual lock I don't go back into the classroom considering my students are all Seniors whose graduation is May 22nd and school's already been postponed for students to return May 7th.

Yah... 2 weeks of a 4th quarter and then graduate???

Not so much...

Bigger concern is obviously what happens for my graduating Seniors. Likely many states (like ours) will have to waive graduation requirements, despite our efforts as teachers to do this "distance learning."

And then, will we be able to return to the classroom in the beginning of August when we always do?

And then (yes, trivial in many ways, I know, but still something we're thinking about), will we have Bills football in 2020?