Erie County/Upstate New York Covid-19 Response (was: Erie Co Declares State of Emergency

Big Turk

Waaaaaay behind the curve!

Virtually, EVERYTHING is shut down where I live, except food stores & pharmacies.. Schools for 3 weeks. Street traffic at a minimum and bars/ restaurants are empty.

if you don’t do this for 3-4 weeks, your entire country will be under a health care siege! There are simply not enough beds, let alone respirators and medical staff to care for all.

Mingling with people- ANYWHERE is idiotic! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not sure what’s going on in WNY compared to where I live in Maryland. I have 3 kids in the house and we aren’t Allowing them to hang out in friends houses or have friends here.  They are very bored already.  

here’s a news flash.  It’s inevitable that schools will be closed for the remainder of the year, everywhere.   Work from home will be indefinite for those that can.  NBA season will be cancelled.  NHL cancelled, MLB cancelled. We will be lucky if the NFL *only* has a delayed start, and a shortened season.  Does anyone really think we are going from complete lockdown to allowing 60,000 fans to be shoulder to shoulder?  I don’t think the NFL will play with no fans. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Not sure what’s going on in WNY compared to where I live in Maryland. I have 3 kids in the house and we aren’t Allowing them to hang out in friends houses or have friends here.  They are very bored already.  

here’s a news flash.  It’s inevitable that schools will be closed for the remainder of the year, everywhere.   Work from home will be indefinite for those that can.  NBA season will be cancelled.  NHL cancelled, MLB cancelled. We will be lucky if the NFL *only* has a delayed start, and a shortened season.  Does anyone really think we are going from complete lockdown to allowing 60,000 fans to be shoulder to shoulder?  I don’t think the NFL will play with no fans. 

If a delayed start to or the cancellation of the NFL season is the worst thing that happens, I’ll consider us blessed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

The Great Depression and World War I and World War II didn't stop the Kentucky Derby, a race that has been run without interruption since it began in 1875.“ Not this year! The first Saturday in May is now September!

The 1/2 completed Sports- Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, etc. are done until the fall- hopefully. MLB....has a 2 week postponement announced by the Commish! ? THEY will be lucky if it starts in June, which a buddy of mine believes. I Don,’t. A sham Season can’t commence in late July.

IF, people start listening and self isolate for at last 3 weeks, we may, but only may, be back to Opening Day of the NFL in September.
I have a Chris Botti concert, postponed from 2 days from now, until November.

A flight visit to an elderly family member in mid April? Done. 

An annual trip to Saratoga with the boys in August? Sketchy.

Mortgage payments have been suspended for 6 months! 
The border between Canada and the U.S. is closing.

This is very serious biz. If people act like clowns and say:”Nobody can tell ME what to do”, the Health systems everywhere will be overwhelmed and we will stretch this out into 2021.

STAY HOME- except for emerg food/ drug purchases! And schedule special hours ONLY for Seniors - which is being done here.

See you in September.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, matter2003 said:

I think you misinterpreted.  The link states "November 17 of last year", which is correct and coincidentally matches the prediction of genomic epidemiology (they sequence virus from many patients and calculate how long it's been circulating, based on mutation rates):

Quote: "A 55 year old from Hubei province could have been the first person to have contracted the viral infection on November 17 of last year"

Your OP stated "November of 2017" which is incorrect.  Easy mistake to make reading quickly, NBD, but it is how misinformation arises and propagates.

Thanks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, zow2 said:

Here’s a news flash.  It’s inevitable that schools will be closed for the remainder of the year, everywhere. 

As a school teacher, that’s starting to come more into focus as a potential reality. One shoe already dropped with one state already announcing it and another state hinting at it. In New York, we have the governor saying the outbreak peak is still 45 days away and my district is already sending us instructional updates requesting us to move to more online distance learning. To me, that suggests they’re preparing for the four weeks off to become four months off.

Breaking news CNN, for the 1st time since the virus appeared, China reports zero new cases today. 

Im optimistic the end is in sight. 

“This is not the end, this is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”-Winston Churchill, following victory in North Africa

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Breaking news CNN, for the 1st time since the virus appeared, China reports zero new cases today. 

Im optimistic the end is in sight. 

“This is not the end, this is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”-Winston Churchill, following victory in North Africa

If you believe Chinese propaganda....

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you misinterpreted.  The link states "November 17 of last year", which is correct and coincidentally matches the prediction of genomic epidemiology (they sequence virus from many patients and calculate how long it's been circulating, based on mutation rates):

Quote: "A 55 year old from Hubei province could have been the first person to have contracted the viral infection on November 17 of last year"

Your OP stated "November of 2017" which is incorrect.  Easy mistake to make reading quickly, NBD, but it is how misinformation arises and propagates.

Thanks.

I found this to be an interesting read....https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-chinas-bat-woman-hunted-down-viruses-from-sars-to-the-new-coronavirus1/

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

If you believe Chinese propaganda....

Agreed. But other countries with aggressive testing and tracing cases are showing that works. It’s just not what the US is doing so our cases are not under control. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://news.wbfo.org/post/st-joseph-hospital-being-converted-covid-19-treatment-center

St. Joseph hospital being converted to COVID-19 treatment center

Catholic Health will convert its St. Joseph Campus of Sisters Hospital into a facility dedicated entirely to treating the novel coronavirus. 

While President and CEO Mark Sullivan says his hospital system is only treating two COVID-19 patients as of Thursday, there is widespread belief the current numbers of diagnosed patients will rise significantly.

Wow! They will switch to only treating COVID19. Smart though.

Edited by BillsFan4

Some good updates for NY and NYC:

- NY is now doing more tests per capita than anywhere else in the country (and reportedly more per capita than China and even S. Korea).

They processed 10,000+ new tests just in the last 24 hours and are up to almost 33,000 tests done. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-state-coronavirus-testing-compared-to-other-countries-2020-3

- 1 million new N95 masks are being sent to NYC (I have family in healthcare, they are DESPERATELY needed). 500k to Long Island. 

- 6000 additional ventilators were purchased and supplies are being gathered from anywhere they can get them.

- at least 4 sites are going to be retrofitted to handle covid19 cases + medical tents are also being put up. This will create 1000’s of new beds for patients. 

This is all desperately needed. NYC is getting hit hard. We are already up over 7100 cases in NY in just a matter of days. 

BTW: so far, 55% of COVID19 cases in NY are people ages 18-49.

Roughly 40% of those cases have required hospitalization.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2