CBA voted and APPROVED by players/owners

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Usually it is worse teams that miss the playoffs. Occasionally you have a good team miss. The quality will absolutely go down and it will become more common for .500 teams to make it.

Under this format, who would have gotten in last year? The 8-8 Steelers and the 9-7 Rams, two teams who had disappointing seasons and had no business being in the playoffs.

Division Champs still get in, regardless of their overall record. There hasn’t been 2 8-8 teams (or worse) make the playoffs and it’s extremely unlikely now as well. 2 8-8 playoff teams from different Divisions/same Conf? At least as unlikely as it is now and it’s never happened.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

They only cut one preaseason game?  Figured they’d cut 2.   

Expect a lot of player temper tantrums with a vote that close

Virgil, I was surprised too the owners would come back and say two games and a couple of competitive practices as a replacement.  Some coaches have said they sometimes prefer the competitive practices with two teams over four days in lieu of a pre season game.

3 hours ago, arcane said:

What's the formula for the 17th opponent you face? What division do they come from?

The speculation was at a neutral site, and another inter conference game.  I actually like the idea as it less complicates the playoff speculation and scenarios.  I also like the neutral sites in or outside of the US.  I wonder if any other the Canadian cities with the CFL teams would be open as close.  Mexico is a little nuts although I understand as they have to get that stadium fixed.  I could see one of the large cities in South America like in Argentina or Brazil.  I bet they start one in Germany as they had the best attendance during the NFLE back in the day more than London. 

23 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The more NFL football the better in my eyes. I love this. Does the expanded playoffs start this year? I would expect it to be 2021 at the earliest?

Expanded playoffs begins this upcoming season. 17 game season to begin in 2021

41 minutes ago, Locomark said:

With our luck we finish 2nd in the AFC this year and get.....a wild card game

With our luck we sneak into the final WC spot winning a three way tiebreaker despite losing head to head to the Chargers.

30 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Russia got into the vote for sure.  Really close vote for sure.  500 or so didn't read it.  Too long I guess.  I'm happy.  the more Bill's games the better.

Anything to sow doubt and division.

• Haha (+1) 1

This question is for anyone who knows.  I've looked around on google and can't find anything.

The minimum salaries are going up this year by 100k for players like Duke Williams and Ryan Bates from $585k to $675k.

That much I have found but what about last years drafted rookies?

Tom Sweeney for example is making only $609k this year which is less than if he wasn't drafted!

Anyone hear if these guys are getting bumped up.

I noticed it in Spotrac and if they don't it's a bummer.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This question is for anyone who knows.  I've looked around on google and can't find anything.

The minimum salaries are going up this year by 100k for players like Duke Williams and Ryan Bates from $585k to $675k.

Tom Sweeney for example is making only $609k this year which is less than if he wasn't drafted!

I believe Ross Tucker said all players making the minimum or thereabouts would see a boost. He said that was over 60% of the NFL last season, so this CBA was targeted to the lower on the food chain players. I’d have to think that would include players on rookie deals drafted in the lower rounds, but not certain. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe Ross Tucker said all players making the minimum or thereabouts would see a boost. He said that was over 60% of the NFL last season, so this CBA was targeted to the lower on the food chain players. I’d have to think that would include players on rookie deals drafted in the lower rounds, but not certain. 

Thanks.  This will cut the Bills cap room by 2-3 million if true which is not a big deal.

It will hurt more on teams with little dollars left this year.

Could help the Bills with those teams trying to re-sign their FAs.

I'm going to keep an eye on Sweeney's contract after Spotrac gets caught up.

They already tweeted to be patient, that it could take a while.

2 hours ago, GG said:

The owners played it perfectly.  

Pot testing was in the early February proposal, but suspensions for testing positive were out.   Then the owners “agreed” to take out pot testing all together making it seem like a big concession ahead of the final vote.   Then the league planted a story through ESPN that some owners hoped the players would vote down the CBA, because these owners really want an 18-game season.   Worked like a charm.

Tell me the CBA that the owner’s didn’t win? Billionaires can ALWAYS wait out millionaires. This isn’t a bad deal for either side. The Tannehill contract should show us that. 

The pot testing wasn’t some leverage. It was an antiquated policy that looked bad for everyone. Players missing 25% of the games for something legal in many places wasn’t good for either side. The fact that it’s a safer pain management alternative to what they allow made this a no brainer. Neither side wanted it. That’s been my point and I’ve been proven correct. Weo has been saying it’d never happen and then tried to be “half wrong” by making it all about the leverage. This was something no one wanted any longer and the CBA was an easy place to update their policies to reflect 2020 America.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I hope a 6-10 team makes the playoffs and goes on to win the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about it happening. But if it makes you happy, go for it.

Going back 16 years, the record of the extra teams that would have made the playoffs under the 14 team format-

11-5 ------ 1 time
10-6 ------ 7 times
9-6-1 ----- 1 time
9-7 -------- 14 times
8-7-1 ----- 1 time
8-8 -------- 8 times

Also, FWIW-
In the years the 10-6 teams would have made it, there was (1) 10-6 team from the same conference that still would not have made it.
In the years the 9-7 teams would have made it, there were also (12) 9-7 teams from the same conference that still would not have made it.
In the years the 8-8 teams would have made it, there were (7) 8-8 teams from the same conference that still would not have made it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

lol

We're going to look at the 2002-2019 league, regular season schedule, and playoff format as the golden years.  It was as close to perfect as you can get.  Luckily, adding one playoff team and one regular season game will only slightly dilute the regular season.  Better than the 18 games they were proposing.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

You were right.  Sweeney's contract just got bumped 90k like the others.

Bills cap money down to 75 million.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans win here. Longer season. Higher chance of playoffs. NFL and players also win. More money.

Speak for yourself.  17 games blows in my opinion!   Unequal. Number of home and away games.... more bitching from fans.    Only reason for it is to drive revenues.  Higher chance of playoffs also sucks.   You should ha e to earn it.  

Edited by mattynh