One of the darkest days in Bills history. I’ll never forgive Ralph.

5 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Ya not a bright shining moment. Of course if they kept him they would have had no weapons for him to throw to like Oakland did. (sound familar)

Bass was still very good & we still had Duby & Crockett. We lost Gogolak as well, when the Giants offered him unheard of (for the time) $$ to jump Leagues.

• Like (+1) 1

What I have heard over the years is that Wilson traded Lamonica because he had an affair with another player's wife.  I don't how true that was but it seems consistent with how Wilson ran the team.

I think that Lamonica would have failed in Buffalo.  The loss to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship (for the berth in Super Bowl I) was the Bills' last hurrah and ushered in 2 decades of misery for Bills fans which were only broken by Lou Saban's short lived return as coach (1972-the first 5 games of 1976) and the Chuck Knox regime (1978-1982)  until Bill Polian took charge of the Bills in 1986.  Between 1967 and 1985, the Bills were mostly uncompetitive with the rest of the NFL.  Wilson didn't like paying top money for quality players, so the Bills drafted primarily based either position (lots of DBs in the first round) or whether a draftee would accept the Bills' low ball salary offers in the first round.  In the 20 years between 1967 and 1986, the Bills had the #1 pick in the entire draft 4 times (OJ Simpson (1968), Walt Putulski (1972), Tom Cousineau (1979), and Bruce Smith (1985)), 3 top 5 picks, and 2 top ten picks.  Simpson and Smith both held out a long time before finally signing with the Bills.  Cousineau chose to play in the CFL rather than for the Bills.  Jim Kelly (the only QB taken in the first round during this period) chose the WFL over the Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What I have heard over the years is that Wilson traded Lamonica because he had an affair with another player's wife.  I don't how true that was but it seems consistent with how Wilson ran the team.

I think that Lamonica would have failed in Buffalo.  The loss to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship (for the berth in Super Bowl I) was the Bills' last hurrah and ushered in 2 decades of misery for Bills fans which were only broken by Lou Saban's short lived return as coach (1972-the first 5 games of 1976) and the Chuck Knox regime (1978-1982)  until Bill Polian took charge of the Bills in 1986.  Between 1967 and 1985, the Bills were mostly uncompetitive with the rest of the NFL.  Wilson didn't like paying top money for quality players, so the Bills drafted primarily based either position (lots of DBs in the first round) or whether a draftee would accept the Bills' low ball salary offers in the first round.  In the 20 years between 1967 and 1986, the Bills had the #1 pick in the entire draft 4 times (OJ Simpson (1968), Walt Putulski (1972), Tom Cousineau (1979), and Bruce Smith (1985)), 3 top 5 picks, and 2 top ten picks.  Simpson and Smith both held out a long time before finally signing with the Bills.  Cousineau chose to play in the CFL rather than for the Bills.  Jim Kelly (the only QB taken in the first round during this period) chose the WFL over the Bills.

The rumor was Jack Kemp’s wife. It was a very hot topic at the time though, obviously, never confirmed. Not the only time taboo dalliances were suggested as a reason a player was traded.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Bruce Smith was not a hold out as a draft choice.  If memory serves, he signed with Buffalo prior to the draft.  The choice was a fan debate between Bruce and Flutie.  Bills chose Bruce because they could get him to sign before they invested the #1 overall pick on him.

20 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Bruce Smith was not a hold out as a draft choice.  If memory serves, he signed with Buffalo prior to the draft.  The choice was a fan debate between Bruce and Flutie.  Bills chose Bruce because they could get him to sign before they invested the #1 overall pick on him.

No college player can sign with any NFL team until after the NFL draft.   Bruce Smith was the #1 over all pick in 1985, which the Bills owned because of their crappy record the previous season.  Flutie was taken in the 11th round (#285) of the LA Rams.

I think that Smith rejected the WFL as an option, so the Bills drafted him, but he couldn't have been signed before the draft.   First round draft picks holding out into some time into TC was very common before the rookie salary cap went into effect about 2010 or so.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Knowing a person who worked for the team at the time, I was told that Lamonica had a medical issue that made longevity in the league something less than a sure thing.  I don't know if that is true or not but it makes more sense than unloading your talented QB of the future because he shagged someones wife. There were multiple rumors about affairs and who knows if any of them were true.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

In the 20 years between 1967 and 1986, the Bills had the #1 pick in the entire draft 4 times (OJ Simpson (1968), Walt Putulski (1972), Tom Cousineau (1979), and Bruce Smith (1985)), 3 top 5 picks, and 2 top ten picks.  Simpson and Smith both held out a long time before finally signing with the Bills.  Cousineau chose to play in the CFL rather than for the Bills.  Jim Kelly (the only QB taken in the first round during this period) chose the WFL over the Bills.

SoTier, your post made me realize that the Bills have actually done pretty well when they've had the top pick. To start, both OJ and Bruce are Hall of Famers -- and could be argued to be the best ever at their positions. The Cousineau business was frustrating, but trading him to Cleveland did net the #14 pick in the '83 draft, which produced Jim Kelly, another HOFer. So one could argue that 75% (3/4) of the Bills first-overall picks led to HOFers (I wonder what the overall % is for first picks among all drafts?)

4 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

SoTier, your post made me realize that the Bills have actually done pretty well when they've had the top pick. To start, both OJ and Bruce are Hall of Famers -- and could be argued to be the best ever at their positions. The Cousineau business was frustrating, but trading him to Cleveland did net the #14 pick in the '83 draft, which produced Jim Kelly, another HOFer. So one could argue that 75% (3/4) of the Bills first-overall picks led to HOFers (I wonder what the overall % is for first picks among all drafts?)

While it’s not 75%, it is pretty high. A perennial Pro Bowler is absolutely expected with the 1st overall and usually is the case.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

The Bills chose Smith because he was clearly better then Childress. You are right, he didn’t hold out but they didn’t draft him because they could sign him.

As for Flutie, he ended up going in the 6th or 7th round which goes to show you how smart fans are.

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

While it’s not 75%, it is pretty high. A perennial Pro Bowler is absolutely expected with the 1st overall and usually is the case.

Well, not to get all lawyerly on you, but the 75% figure is justified under my phrasing "led to" HOFers. ?  But even 50% is good: I just reviewed a history of the draft, and only 12 first-overall picks have become HOFers since *1936*, more than 80 drafts (that's <15% HOF rate -- but check my math ?). So the Bills have been good/lucky with their first overalls. (And yes, if you're wondering, I am getting a little bored confined to home in Boston ...)

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

28 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not really that high, so far only 14 since 1942, none since 1997. Who knew there was a website for this stuff?

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/no-1-to-the-hall-of-fame/

Here are the first overalls since 1998. Of them I would say only Peyton Manning is a deffinite. Several are definite no's, book still out on many as well.

2019    Kyler Murray    Cardinals
2018    Baker Mayfield    Browns
2017    Myles Garrett    Browns
2016    Jared Goff    Rams
2015    Jameis Winston    Buccaneers
2014    Jadeveon Clowney    Texans
2013    Eric Fisher    Chiefs
2012    Andrew Luck    Colts
2011    Cam Newton    Panthers
2010    Sam Bradford    Rams
2009    Matthew Stafford    Lions
2008    Jake Long    Dolphins
2007    JaMarcus Russell    Raiders
2006    Mario Williams    Texans
2005    Alex Smith    49ers
2004    Eli Manning    Chargers
2003    Carson Palmer    Bengals
2002    David Carr    Texans
2001    Michael Vick    Falcons
2000    Courtney Brown    Browns
1999    Tim Couch    Browns
1998    Peyton Manning    Colts

Edited by Steve O

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The rumor was Jack Kemp’s wife. It was a very hot topic at the time though, obviously, never confirmed. Not the only time taboo dalliances were suggested as a reason a player was traded.

...interesting bud....NEVER knew that.......

54 minutes ago, SoTier said:

No college player can sign with any NFL team until after the NFL draft.   Bruce Smith was the #1 over all pick in 1985, which the Bills owned because of their crappy record the previous season.  Flutie was taken in the 11th round (#285) of the LA Rams.

I think that Smith rejected the WFL as an option, so the Bills drafted him, but he couldn't have been signed before the draft.   First round draft picks holding out into some time into TC was very common before the rookie salary cap went into effect about 2010 or so.

How old are you? The first pick of the draft was often known days, weeks, and sometime months in advance as the terms of the deal were agreed upon.  In Smith's case he agreed months before the draft. And Smith was not a holdout his rookie year.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/feb-22-1985-bills-agree-to-rookie-deal-with-bruce-smith-14954041

• Like (+1) 2