Draft may be postponed until May

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s perfectly acceptable to stop lighting your hair on fire every minute of every day.

Some of you do not see the freight train coming right at us.  Within two weeks, life as we know it in this country will be changed forever.  Overcrowded hospitals, military tent cities in high-concentration outbreak areas, riots over ventilator access, healthcare workers having to choose who to let die, and ultimately becoming sick themselves.  This is not about “letting the terrorists win,” this is about taking seriously a threat the likes of which this country has never faced.  It can’t be Tweeted away, nor will it be avoided by mouth-breathing, Budweiser-glugging, gun-toting American idiocy.  This is the real deal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Some of you do not see the freight train coming right at us.  Within two weeks, life as we know it in this country will be changed forever.  Overcrowded hospitals, military tent cities in high-concentration outbreak areas, riots over ventilator access, healthcare workers having to choose who to let die, and ultimately becoming sick themselves.  This is not about “letting the terrorists win,” this is about taking seriously a threat the likes of which this country has never faced.  It can’t be Tweeted away, nor will it be avoided by mouth-breathing, Budweiser-glugging, gun-toting American idiocy.  This is the real deal.

Probably somewhere in-between the two extremes.  Very serious, but it will pass.

Just be careful and be healthy

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Start digging your shelter now Coach. I’ll knock three times when it’s time to come out. Until then...do not open the door for anyone. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

As delayed as the U.S. response has been, it is not unlikely that we are on track to avoid the seriousness that Italy is now facing. One article that I read this morning outlined how right now is the time for "social distancing" to have it's most important effects. There are certainly areas that are going to be hammered. I can only speak to Los Angeles, where I live, and I have to assume that the enormous homeless communities that we currently have in places like downtown LA are going to be decimated. Likewise, I suspect that NYC could be in serious trouble. However, the point of the current steps being take (ALL of the motion picture studios in Los Angeles, and at least 95% of productions, for example, are shut down) is to slow the rate of infection to a level that the healthcare industry can handle. This is a crisis that will pass. 

And now because people can’t be trusted to maintain social distance DeWine has ordered all bars and restaurants in the state of Ohio to be closed indefinitely as of tonight at 9pm. Carry out and delivery ok. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And now because people can’t be trusted to maintain social distance DeWine has ordered all bars and restaurants in the state of Ohio to be closed indefinitely as of tonight at 9pm. Carry out and delivery ok. 

I’m in Greenville, SC and went out last night to pick up some food and downtown was packed.   Less than usual for a dry 70 degree evening, but still people everywhere - bars shoulder to shoulder, restaurants with a wait to get in ha.   It is what it is.  

t's likely (thankfully) to not be 3%.  Here is something from Harvard.  https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than-we-think.html

That said, one death is too many, and curve flattening is a great idea.  Panic, no.  Cancelling things like the draft that can be done entirely remotely: also not a great idea.  Cancelling actual sporting events: good idea.  

Going to bars: bad idea.  Ordering delivery: a good idea to help restaurants and their employees. 

Keep your heads on, get facts, keep your distance, but don't hide in a room full of toilet paper like some people appear to be doing.   

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

t's likely (thankfully) to not be 3%.  Here is something from Harvard.  https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than-we-think.html

That said, one death is too many, and curve flattening is a great idea.  Panic, no.  Cancelling things like the draft that can be done entirely remotely: also not a great idea.  Cancelling actual sporting events: good idea.  

Going to bars: bad idea.  Ordering delivery: a good idea to help restaurants and their employees. 

Keep your heads on, get facts, keep your distance, but don't hide in a room full of toilet paper like some people appear to be doing.   

I do not understand the TP thing at.all. Or the bottled water shortage. 

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

The issue is less about death rate and more about hospitalization rate.  That’s where the problems lie and that’s why “flattening the curve” is so important - to slow the rate of spread.  The nation’s hospitals are going to get overwhelmed, and that’s going to increase the death rate generally - because critically ill patients won’t get access to the medical care they require.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do not understand the TP thing at.all. Or the bottled water shortage. 

The bottled water, especially. That industry operates under the same standards as tap water, and are often found to be short. The TP thing is crazy, too. I ended up ordering a supply online to put in storage. I'm not hoarding, or anything. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

The bottled water, especially. That industry operates under the same standards as tap water, and are often found to be short. The TP thing is crazy, too. I ended up ordering a supply online to put in storage. I'm not hoarding, or anything. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down.

I mean they aren’t shutting off the water and I don’t buy bottled water to begin with unless I’m having a big party or something. So don’t know why I would need it. I have enough TP for at least a few weeks so why would I need more, haven’t heard the stores are closing? Just so bizarre 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Live look-in at our friend Coach Tuesday:

disease___plague_doctor_by_bugsythepigeo

Edited by Joe in Winslow

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

The question over whether to postpone the draft, or not, is a question of revenue. The way the draft is now structured, with tens of thousands of fans showing up, multiple media venues, and the huge gala environment represents an enormous amount of revenue for numerous media entities, as well as hundreds of business interests in the host city-- not just the NFL. If the draft happens on schedule, that gala environment, and all the commerce it generates would be a non-starter, and a huge loss of revenue.

No question it's a huge economic event for the host city, but I'm curious if anyone knows how much the host cities now pay the NFL for the privilege.

My assumption was the NFL got most of its money from ESPN broadcast rights, but the live event is probably now a material revenue stream for them too.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mean they aren’t shutting off the water and I don’t buy bottled water to begin with unless I’m having a big party or something. So don’t know why I would need it. I have enough TP for at least a few weeks so why would I need more, haven’t heard the stores are closing? Just so bizarre 

We were very lucky that just a couple days before "The Great Toilet Paper Scare of 2020" we just happened to run out of toilet paper, and my wife bought a 24-pack (as she always does). Three days later, there was not a roll of toilet paper to be found in LA County.

Then, last week, I was at Smart & Final, getting some non-perishables, and the guy ahead of me had a shopping cart filled with junk food, and about eight cases of bottled water, and I thought to myself, "dude, you don't even drink water..."

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, djp14150 said:

I agree....

signing pkayers can be done on video and efax. You just don’t have press conferences

they can do the draft. The problem is you can’t have fans so they may postpone adraft in Vegas to next year.

teams operate for their team HQs and nfl operates out of nyc.

i don’t see it’s clear for crowds till early June at the earliest.  This virus could settle down by time of training camps.

workouts, travel to facilities etc... medical checks after terms reached?