Draft may be postponed until May

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Physicals and face to face visits are considered important parts of preparing for a draft. Teams are not allowed to do either right now, hence the need to postpone things.  If a delayed NFL draft is on your list of "problems in life", then you likely have a great life. Rejoice in that knowledge. 

The point is nobody is put in harms way and everything can be conducted remotely like it was for about the first 30 years in the league.  Might even give people a distraction and prevent them from going out.  
Thanks for saving the world though.  You must be fun to hang out with.  

1 hour ago, Arkady Renko said:

That's because it has not spread as much as the flu yet.  The death rate is far higher.  

And just like the flu, the death rates starts high and settles down after the its spread outside of the nursing homes where it raises hell.  Look af facts, not just the immediate paranoia.  Literally every disease death % curve looks similar, high in the begining, as it spreads to millions ( flu every year), the percentage goes way down because it won't kill the healthy.  There are even knowledgeable people believing chilren are virtually immune to Covid, meaning its LESS vicious than the flu.  Take a small smalle size of anything and the rate can fluxuate vastly from reality.   Example, take the Bills winning percentage of the last decade vs the winning percentage for 2 games a year vs the Patriots..  yeah the team already died in that scenario.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I sat in a chair yesterday for about an hour looking through a window watching it rain outside. This is day 2. I'm not gonna make it. Please keep football on schedule. 

This is fates way of telling you that your leisure time pursuits are to narrow... start a punk band and call it Covid-19 that will keep you busy for a while...?? 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The point is nobody is put in harms way and everything can be conducted remotely like it was for about the first 30 years in the league.  Might even give people a distraction and prevent them from going out.  
Thanks for saving the world though.  You must be fun to hang out with.  

Sorry you can't grasp the point. Teams don't want to do what they did the first thirty years in the league. They are going to invest millions in the young players and are willing to wait a month so they can do all of their proper due diligence.  And I am great fun to hang out with. People enjoy my company because I am not a selfish tool who wants the world to entertain them. 

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Sorry you can't grasp the point. Teams don't want to do what they did the first thirty years in the league. They are going to invest millions in the young players and are willing to wait a month so they can do all of their proper due diligence.  And I am great fun to hang out with. People enjoy my company because I am not a selfish tool who wants the world to entertain them. 

32 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

And just like the flu, the death rates starts high and settles down after the its spread outside of the nursing homes where it raises hell.  Look af facts, not just the immediate paranoia.  Literally every disease death % curve looks similar, high in the begining, as it spreads to millions ( flu every year), the percentage goes way down because it won't kill the healthy.  There are even knowledgeable people believing chilren are virtually immune to Covid, meaning its LESS vicious than the flu.  Take a small smalle size of anything and the rate can fluxuate vastly from reality.   Example, take the Bills winning percentage of the last decade vs the winning percentage for 2 games a year vs the Patriots..  yeah the team already died in that scenario.

Tell that to the people in Italy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I admit that I have had an unhealthy hysteria with following the Buffalo Bills so closely since 1970. So an interruption in football activities (even off-season ones) has an impact on my daily mind set. Perhaps it is time for me to find some other obsession to cloud my mind, besides our beloved Bills. There are so many to chose from -- Besides the current favorite - the Corona Virus - perhaps I could choose to obsess about Global Warming (oops - I mean "Climate Change"), or perhaps I could worry about plastic bags from grocery stores destroying the oceans & marine life - though I remember when we were once told that we had to switch from paper bags to the plastic ones to save trees (A very rational concern considering we live in the great North America Forest and have been planting trees for many years). There are so many to choose from!

On second thought - I think I'll just continue my now 5 decade long obsession with all things Buffalo Bills! Despite all the recent cancellations & hysteria - I am still looking forward to another awesome year of Buffalo Bills football. It will take more than this to shake me from my Buffalo Bills obsession/Hysteria!

16 minutes ago, Saratoga Leo said:

Tell that to the people in Italy. 

10,000 cases, 600 deaths, 58% of deaths were those over 80 yrs old and more than 2/3 of them with pre-existing issues.  Just because you have a TINY sample size, does not mean you have facts.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/

34,000 deaths in 2018-19 flu season in the US and you didn't panic.  The mortality rate is high in the same classes of people, it mellows as it gets to the non compromised population, litterally EVERY YEAR.  32,000 people already dead from this flu season, guess what, no panic.  Focusing on percentages in a small sample size is foolish.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

10,000 cases, 600 deaths, 58% of deaths were those over 80 yrs old and more than 2/3 of them with pre-existing issues.  Just because you have a TINY sample size, does not mean you have facts.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/

The Italian health system is on the verge of collapse.  Please don’t be ignorant, it’s a life and death issue.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m booked to go to Vegas and I want the draft to happen there on the scheduled date as much as anyone. But I’d rather not go and have them do it on TV and phone on the scheduled date vs pushing it to May. I just need some sports in my life. Hope they start the league year on time for the same reason. We fans need something now. America needs something to distract right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Italian health system is on the verge of collapse.  Please don’t be ignorant, it’s a life and death issue.

The fact their system is over burdened is real, that does not change the actual facts of the matter, please don't try to change the target of the conversation.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

While I am not normally sanctimonious I was becoming pretty annoyed at a group of neighbors who were posting pics on social media all night of them out at crowded bars during a St Paddy’s bar crawl. Shoulder to shoulder, arms around each other, etc. One of them works at a hospital as a cardiac nurse. It’s like - yes we need to live our lives but some things can and should be avoided. All of the experts are saying we need to practice social distancing to flatten the curve but some people don’t get it.

I am also pretty concerned about the amount of people that don't believe this is a big deal.  My Aunt passed away very unexpectedly a few weeks ago and her funeral was yesterday.  Probably 150ish people attended ( many more called and said they were staying away).  If it wasn't family I most certainly would not have gone. I actually floated the idea of putting it on hold until this summer but if it was one.of my parents I wouldnt have felt the same way.  That will be the last social gathering myself or my family will attend until this is all over.  The people that are going to a bar for fun I do not understand. 

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$100 million contracts isn't good pr for the NFL in these times.

The only ones who would be offended are people that don’t pay attention anyways and the self righteous media who’s hollow thoughts don’t reflect the masses anyways. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...according to CDC, stats for 2017-2018 flu season in US.............

ILLNESSES:     45 million

HOSPITALIZATIONS:     810,000

DEATHS:    61,000

If 45 million people get the Coronavirus there would be 1,350,000 deaths at a 3% mortality rate, which I believe is the current figure floating about.   

• Like (+1) 2

The question over whether to postpone the draft, or not, is a question of revenue. The way the draft is now structured, with tens of thousands of fans showing up, multiple media venues, and the huge gala environment represents an enormous amount of revenue for numerous media entities, as well as hundreds of business interests in the host city-- not just the NFL. If the draft happens on schedule, that gala environment, and all the commerce it generates would be a non-starter, and a huge loss of revenue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

The question over whether to postpone the draft, or not, is a question of revenue. The way the draft is now structured, with tens of thousands of fans showing up, multiple media venues, and the huge gala environment represents an enormous amount of revenue for numerous media entities, as well as hundreds of business interests in the host city-- not just the NFL. If the draft happens on schedule, that gala environment, and all the commerce it generates would be a non-starter, and a huge loss of revenue.

On point.

There's something to be said for the value of good PR vs bad PR, too. As such, if the NFL is smart, they will hold the draft in a closed environment, without fans present, in the name of public safety. Every other major sports league in the country has suspended their season. For the NFL to just proceed with its offseason plans as if nothing happened in the name of revenue would be an insane misstep, from both a health and PR perspective, in my opinion.