Abbreviated Off-Season would help Bills

Human Decency Disclaimer:  We all wish the COVID19 outbreak hadn't happened, and it's impact on the NFL schedule and season certainly ranks near the bottom of the list of concerns associated with the outbreak.

Having said that, the outbreak will likely mean an abbreviated off season and I hope it isn't too Machiavellian to note that this abbreviated off season should end up helping the Bills competitively if there is a 2020 NFL season.

As noted in other threads, the Bills have a lot of continuity moving forward from the 2019 season into 2020, management, coaches, and to a large extent, the team roster looks pretty well set.  We are not installing a new offense or defense, not breaking in a new QB, no turn over on the O-Line etc..  That is a luxury that few teams will enjoy.  For a League that is always in a state of flux, for once, the Buffalo Bills look like an oasis of stability.  Look around the league this off season at just the coaching changes;

New Head Coaches;  (5)

Carolina

Cleveland

Dallas

NY Giants

Washington

New D Coordinators; (12)

Miami

Cleveland

Houston

Tennessee

Dallas

NY Giants

Washington

Detroit

Minnesota

Atlanta

Carolina

LA Rams

New O Coordinators; (11)

Miami

Cleveland

Jacksonville

Denver

Carolina

LA Rams

NY Giants

Philly

Washington

Chicago

Minnesota

You also have to look at the QB carousel in the league.  I've never seen so many veteran QBs on the market and it's quite likely that Brady, Rivers, Dalton, Tannehill, Bridgewater, Winston, Cam Newton and Mariota will probably all be in new zip codes or on the bench when the season starts, and that's not including the number of 1st round QB draft picks (probably at least 3) this season who will likely get the nod under center.

Rookie Mini-Camps are from May 1-4, the OTAs start at the end of May and run through June, and then Training Camp starts at the end of July. How would you like to be a new head coach or coordinator trying to introduce your system and missing some of the handful of OTAs that you would use to introduce everything and get everyone started on the same sheet of music.  If any of those are delayed or shortened, or canceled outright, the teams who are standing pat in scheme and personnel will have a big advantage.  Looking at all the changes in the league this off season, the Bills are one of the few stable franchises across the board and that should be a big benefit during the first quarter of the season. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

Unfortunately, I don't see our main competition of New England, Kansas City, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh on that list. Or the Jets, Chargers, or Indianapolis for that matter. But at least Tennessee and Houston have new defensive coordinators.

Edited by The Fiend
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Fiend said:

Unfortunately, I don't see our main competition of New England, Kansas City, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh on that list. Or the Jets, Chargers, or Indianapolis for that matter. But at least Tennessee and Houston have new defensive coordinators.

New England, Tennessee, and the Chargers will all likely have different QBs learning a new offense in 2020.  There's a chance Indy makes a move at QB this off season too.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

New England, Tennessee, and the Chargers will all likely have different QBs learning a new offense in 2020.  There's a chance Indy makes a move at QB this off season too.  

New England won't, Brady is staying. I also don't think Tennessee will (though I'd argue they should). The Chargers are likely starting a rookie or Tyrod so they are probably out of the picture. 

In any event my focus is not on wild card competitors it is on AFCE teams only. If we want to be in the playoffs next year we will almost certainly need to win the division. 

I know the topic is about the season,but a friend a pic to me last night, and do my good deed for my fellow TBD’ers, I unfortunately can’t copy the actual pic as the file is too large, but supposedly the Corona Virus on average sits in you’re throat for approximately four days so if you do what my mom always told me to do as a kid when I had a normal soar throupat, gargling with warm water and salt, can minimize or even take away the virus.  Kind of makes sense, so if you start getting any symptoms you think could be Corona, gargle as many times as you can tolerate while waiting to see you’re doctor.

Just thought I would pass on.  As far as an abbreviated season, the defense will be fine, but we could use all the practice we can in the offense as we’ll have more weapons and JA will want. As much time to get a rhythm down with any new skill players.

• Like (+1) 1