Bills re-sign Jason Croom to 1-year deal

"Croom was Buffalo's top pass-catching tight end in 2018..." 

22 rec, 259 yards, 1 TD

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills have serially abused/ignored the TE position for so many year that Croom's 22 career catches gets viewed by fans as "intriguing" talent....

It's reminiscent of the days when our offense ran through Scott Chandler.

I like the signing, and I think we have talent at tight end.  Knox dropped some passes, but he also made some spectacular catches.  He can block.  Sweeney had some key catches.  Croom is a good athlete.  And he knows the system.  If he's on the opening day roster, it will be because he earned it on the field.  If not, it will because he did not. 

I can't wait to see who they sign before the draft.  They're always on the prowl for talent.  A good example was the signing of Jordan Phillips, cut by the Dolphins.

I think Vosean Joseph is a guy who might come up and become a really good player.  His drafting was no accident.  

We were 10-6 with this group, could have been 12-4, if they hadn't lost to the Browns and the last game meant nothing.  Good season, and a lot to build upon.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I like the signing, and I think we have talent at tight end.  Knox dropped some passes, but he also made some spectacular catches.  He can block.  Sweeney had some key catches.  Croom is a good athlete.  And he knows the system.  If he's on the opening day roster, it will be because he earned it on the field.  If not, it will because he did not. 

I can't wait to see who they sign before the draft.  They're always on the prowl for talent.  A good example was the signing of Jordan Phillips, cut by the Dolphins.

I think Vosean Joseph is a guy who might come up and become a really good player.  His drafting was no accident.  

We were 10-6 with this group, could have been 12-4, if they hadn't lost to the Browns and the last game meant nothing.  Good season, and a lot to build upon.  

Knox dropped an astounding 10 of 50 passes thrown to him.  His 20% drop rate is ridiculously high.  

Who knows what this upcoming season will look like.  But if Know lacks natural hand-eye coordination, that's not coachable.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

Croom is signing for cheap money and he and Nate Becker will be fighting for the PS TE position.

I think that's going to be a good competition and it looks like a decent player will fill the role.

The other 4 are last years guys.  I see no reason to expect that all 4 locked into those positions.

There could be another TE move coming soon.

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills have serially abused/ignored the TE position for so many year that Croom's 22 career catches gets viewed by fans as "intriguing" talent....

lol

I'm intrigued by his physical toolbox.  What I've seen with my eyeballs, not from the stat sheet.  I think he has the ABILITY to challenge the seam with his athleticism and also split out wide.  We'll see if he can put it together, he's far from a lock to make the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Knox can't catch.  Kroft can't stay healthy.  Smith can't get open.  Croom hasn't done much in his short career and Sweeney has done even less.  

I'm agreement with everyone who says we need another TE option.  

And last year’s gem:

No Croom can catch.  (Parse and punctuate at your discretion.)

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, babulator said:

I'd grade that position group a "C" at best. I unlike most of this board am not terribly high on Knox. I just don't think pro's learn to catch @ 23yrs of age. I see him as a liability in the passing game and  he was 2nd fiddle to Lee Smith in the running game. I'm certain he'll make a couple of splashy plays again this year and this board will go crazy over his potential.

I don't want bash him, and I hope he proves me wrong, but until then this group is a "C".

I still think the real gem here may be Sweeney. I'm disappointed we didn't see more of him last year and I hope he gets more opportunities this year. Go Bills!

Watch some file of Rice's rookie year, then come back....

18 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Watch some file of Rice's rookie year, then come back....

Here's to hoping Dawson Knox can mirror the greatest WR of all-time.

Also while JR had a tough rookie season, he didn't learn to catch in the pro's. He was one of the most prolific college receivers of the time.

66 balls as a sophmore, 102 as a Jr, and 112 his senior year.

" He became a standout receiver and acquired the nickname "World" due to "his ability to catch anything near him."

Again, Im not bashing Knox but it's not exactly apples to apples. JR had more catches as a college sophmore than Knox has had in sum total of his Career at this point.

Edited by babulator

A TE will be targeted in free agency. Franchise tags have impacted the available selection ( they always do) , but the interest in Olsen shows the need is going to be addressed. If FA is unsuccessful the draft is another option, but it seems they would prefer a veteran here. With Allen entering the all important third season, a ready made target is a necessity. Croom is just covering the bases if all else fails. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 2

Camp reps. Gets to make a few bucks before he gets IRd for the season.

Knox is gonna breakout in a big way this year! Watch out for Sweeney too.

Bills are fine at TE.

Olsen would have taken reps but he was sought as much for Knox development as he was for starting TE.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills currently have 5 TEs under contract 

Excluding Knox is there any of the 4 remaining that pose a threat to opposing defenses? I'm all in on the McBeane regime and I know it's early but the way they address the needs of receivers on the team is head scratching. We're good in defense guys! Let's get Josh weapons! Instead we're signing the owners boyfriend-in-law? C'mon Man!

17 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Excluding Knox is there any of the 4 remaining that pose a threat to opposing defenses? I'm all in on the McBeane regime and I know it's early but the way they address the needs of receivers on the team is head scratching. We're good in defense guys! Let's get Josh weapons! Instead we're signing the owners boyfriend-in-law? C'mon Man!

I agree but they also need 90 camp bodies.  That's why they brought Croom back.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

There is a timeline of when certain things can be done in the league year, and this signing simply follows that timeline. Free agency hasn’t even started yet. The GM has to cover all his bases. Don’t confuse actions taken just because they can be done now with actual priorities and their place in that hierarchy. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'll be damned if I still didnt want at least one better option. Not a fan of Kroft or Smith being on the roster. Know its very likely they are both back, but the way they sniffed around Olsen, makes me wonder if they sniff around Walker.

Out of the five..Smith is by far our best blocker.

6 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'll be damned if I still didnt want at least one better option. Not a fan of Kroft or Smith being on the roster. Know its very likely they are both back, but the way they sniffed around Olsen, makes me wonder if they sniff around Walker.

I really felt Olsen was a favor for a friend thing.

Probably the only one.

But i would hardly think they are All Set at TE in their minds.

6 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Maybe L. Smith is a casualty after all.

Why ? Croom cannot block