An ordinary day in Italy, the actual Coronavirus epicenter

Lombardia hospital are close to maxum capacity.

"Intensive therapy" capacity is 25% full, nationwide.

Patients will be send to other regions, hoping that epidemy won't spread too quicky.

I think that now if a person would have, let's say, a car accident in Milan, he should be transferred to another region to receive treatment, if he stays alive in the meantime.

It's serious.

In my opinion in ten days things will getting better, but I don't know if the thing will be over, in Hubei it took 48 days of COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Lombardia hospital are close to maxum capacity.

"Intensive therapy" capacity is 25% full, nationwide.

Patients will be send to other regions, hoping that epidemy won't spread too quicky.

I think that now if a person would have, let's say, a car accident in Milan, he should be transferred to another region to receive treatment, if he stays alive in the meantime.

It's serious.

In my opinion in ten days things will getting better, but I don't know if the thing will be over, in Hubei it took 48 days of COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.

Have other parts of Italy not been affected? I just wonder if that’s what happens here, just certain areas infected 

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Have other parts of Italy not been affected? I just wonder if that’s what happens here, just certain areas infected 

The south has much warmer weather than the north. I’m wondering if this has had any impact on the spread of the virus.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, meazza said:

The south has much warmer weather than the north. I’m wondering if this has had any impact on the spread of the virus.

I think this is only a hope, but no scientific evidence.

For sure hot weather conditions are less favorable for virus spread, windows are always open, people don't cough, sniff...

I don't know if hot "kills" the virus for itself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/14/2020 at 7:07 PM, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

For sure hot weather conditions are less favorable for virus spread, windows are always open, people don't cough, sniff...

Indoor heaters vs AC must make a difference, too. Maybe AC makes it less efficient at spreading. 

Edited by Tiberius

You ok? 

• Like (+1) 1

it's not so much the heat as it is the increased UVA exposure. which also lends to bodily vitamin D consumption.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You ok? 

Yes I am ok thank you, from that day I worked from home.

Never left home except for bring out thrash and buy food.

One sunday I left home before the dawn to go running in the mountains close to home.

Now running is forbidden too, so I make gym in my living room to try to keep in shape :)

Speaking of covid, here in Liguria the situation is under control, but in Lombardia the thing is very serious, maybe we are close to the peak, I hope so.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 3/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Yes I am ok thank you, from that day I worked from home.

Never left home except for bring out thrash and buy food.

One sunday I left home before the dawn to go running in the mountains close to home.

Now running is forbidden too, so I make gym in my living room to try to keep in shape :)

Speaking of covid, here in Liguria the situation is under control, but in Lombardia the thing is very serious, maybe we are close to the peak, I hope so.

My parents were born in Teggiano, Salerno. There is so much land there that I wonder how the police would be able to enforce anything?

5 hours ago, meazza said:

My parents were born in Teggiano, Salerno. There is so much land there that I wonder how the police would be able to enforce anything?

Police and military forces are controlling everywhere.

Of course there is always possibility of avoiding controls but the penalities in case of breaking the laws are serious.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

There are a lot of reasons of the italian outbreak, one can be the one you posted.

In my opinion one of the main reason of the spread is how the problem was faced by private health care at the beginnig.

There is some debate here in Italy, but I personally think his is the crucial point.

Health care in Italy is mostly public, but in the latest years, lot of "cuts" were made, and laws were enacted to regionalize it.

Long story short, in Lombardia, the "epicenter" region, there are a lot of private structures.

When the epidemy was at the beginning the public stuctures closed their ordinary departement and converted them to treat the covid.

All the visits that were not "matter of life and death" were postponed to face the epidemy, in order to keep the structures free for the covid an for not risking of infecting the  patients. Some parts of ordinary departments were kept open, but they were completely isolated from the covid departments.

On the contrary, the private structures didn't want to postpone or cancel the "ordinary visits" because the did not want to lose money, so they kept all the departments open.

Covid patients came to the structures and spreaded the disease.

There are a lot of evidence here in Italy that public stuctures followed the protocols in a better way, while the private ones trasformend into covid "cores".

• Thank you (+1) 1