Chainsaw recommendations

dpberr

I have a big project that includes a fair number of trees to cut down.  For years, I've managed to get by with renting Stihl chainsaws (usually a 250) from a local dealer for a tree here and there but I think I'm at the point where it's time to purchase.  

Anyone that cuts firewood or trees on the regular have a recommendation?  I don't want a cheap saw but I don't know if a pro saw is worth the investment over a high end "homeowner" saw. 

I've been looking at Stihl, Husqvarna and Echos, at least 50cc.  Most of the trees I'm cutting are tops 10 to 12" wide. They aren't really big trees, but a fair amount of them. 

I appreciate any advice on the saws.  

14 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I have a big project that includes a fair number of trees to cut down.  For years, I've managed to get by with renting Stihl chainsaws (usually a 250) from a local dealer for a tree here and there but I think I'm at the point where it's time to purchase.  

Anyone that cuts firewood or trees on the regular have a recommendation?  I don't want a cheap saw but I don't know if a pro saw is worth the investment over a high end "homeowner" saw. 

I've been looking at Stihl, Husqvarna and Echos, at least 50cc.  Most of the trees I'm cutting are tops 10 to 12" wide. They aren't really big trees, but a fair amount of them. 

I appreciate any advice on the saws.  

I've owned a Stihl 025 for over 20 years.  Yes, that model is no longer made but it is in between a homeowner saw and a professional logger saw.  It has held up very well and does not wear down a person not used to cutting wood by the cord.  If I were looking today on that basis I would look for another Stihl.  What little I hear is none of the saw brands are on the level that they were a generation ago in terms of durability and life expectancy.  Stihl around me is supported by the John Deere dealer so I can go to a place that has regular hours and has a basic parts supply.  Mom and pop dealers that carried everything are just about gone and when they were more prevalent they often had irregular hours and some were not the best in terms of parts stock.  I would be interested in what others have to say.

Edited by RochesterRob

Stihl have always been designed that replacement parts will always be available, even if adapters are required (engineered and built by Stihl).  We have three, a large and two small ‘limbers’ my son favoured for climbing. Before I had Stihl, I had two perfectly good Homelites that were rendered unserviceable by “you can’t get the parts anymore!”

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not sure if @mead107 should see that! Do you think his heart can take it? Or his keyboard after cranking out his display of true love?

????????????????????❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️?????????

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

We have a Stihl. I've cut I think 8 trees down/apart with it, including some over 10'. Only beef is the first time you try and fire it up in a year, it can be a real B word.

Stabil ans E0 is your friend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

We have a Stihl. I've cut I think 8 trees down/apart with it, including some over 10'. Only beef is the first time you try and fire it up in a year, it can be a real B word.

WWSDD

What would San Diego do?  I'm sure she knows her way around a chainsaw.

Edited by 4merper4mer

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

WWSDD

What would San Diego do?  I'm sure she knows her way around a chainsaw.

Those people are Stihl. :P