Bills maintain OL Continuity...According to research done by Football Outsiders, this is most important factor in OLine Play

Big Turk

Football Outsiders found that continuity on the OLine was more highly correlated with good OLIne metrics than any other factor in their research...interesting to see how much improved the Bills OLine will be this year...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 9

It is a very big deal. No other position group regularly has as many players on it working as one. There is communication done pre snap as well as in game that needs to happen quick. Guys familiar with each other should have an advantage. They also have a history to work with. Ie, ‘they are trying to run this type of twist like Tenn did last year’.

All of that is important but what else is uber important is the fact these guys seem to like each other. That’s huge. 
Like to see a late pick in the draft for a develop interior player and Waddle brought back as swing.

I still am not a fan of PFF. Ha

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

PFF = ? don’t click on their site, the don’t deserve your attention. 

Thanks for clarifying, at least football outsiders doesn’t use made up grading nonsense.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

PFF = ?. This is a captain obvious statement. 

don’t click on their site, the don’t deserve your attention. 

Go Bills!!!

Actually it was my fault...its not PFF, it was Football Outsiders and Aaron Schatz from several years back...they were PFF before PFF but actually made sense when they talked about stuff...plus they are American who grew up watching football not some Europeans who had to learn what football was.

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It is a very big deal. No other position group regularly has as many players on it working as one. There is communication done pre snap as well as in game that needs to happen quick. Guys familiar with each other should have an advantage. They also have a history to work with. Ie, ‘they are trying to run this type of twist like Tenn did last year’.

All of that is important but what else is uber important is the fact these guys seem to like each other. That’s huge. 
Like to see a late pick in the draft for a develop interior player and Waddle brought back as swing.

I still am not a fan of PFF. Ha

From what Sal on WGR550 said this morning Quinton Spain was a huge signing for the Bills because he was the smartest person on the line and would help both Morse and Dawkins with line calls and knew every protection...might not be a big coincidence that Dawkins looked far better than the year before with Spain next to him helping him know what was coming...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 8

The fact we have talent and now, continuity, on this OL is huge.  

I think a lot of us are still hoping for a splash signing at RG/RT, but regardless, this unit is primed to take a big step with continuity and experience together. 

You can have 5 All-Pros, but if they don’t communicate and have a feel for where they all need to be on a blitz, the QB gets lit up no matter how good they are individually.  

The reasons for my optimism for the line:

1. Three players should individually perform at least on par with 2019: Spain, Feliciano and Morse

2. Ford and Dawkins should be ascending/rising performance players

3. Continuity/familiarity should make the line better. That includes knowing the tendencies of the QB

• Like (+1) 4

Anyone think there is a chance they could move on from ( trade) Morse next offseason?

Feliciano filled in pretty well at C last year a couple of times... 

He doesn’t have the concussion risk that Morse has, would likely be cheaper when they re-sign him,  and he can fill in a year or two at C whilst they draft and bring the full time replacement up to speed..

They could probably get a third round pick for Morse..

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Because we wanted to see you B word about it.  Go somewhere else and complain.  Let people talk about what they want to.

Where did I complain?  Where did I suggest people can't talk about it?  

The well-known importance of continuity is already being discussed in the Spain thread.  FO has been discussing it since at least 2007.  

I asked why we had a new thread - wondering if maybe there was a new angle since no link was given.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

I always found it funny (and telling) how offensive linemen are very often in their lineup when not even on the field.  Whether it's sitting on the bench, in the film room, or at a restaurant table for dinner, the way they situate themselves is pretty much LT-LG-C-RG-RT from left to right.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Anyone think there is a chance they could move on from ( trade) Morse next offseason?

Feliciano filled in pretty well at C last year a couple of times... 

He doesn’t have the concussion risk that Morse has, would likely be cheaper when they re-sign him,  and he can fill in a year or two at C whilst they draft and bring the full time replacement up to speed..

They could probably get a third round pick for Morse..

I would look in the draft. Probably late rounds to stash on the PS. If that doesn’t work back to FA again. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

And returning every skill player on offense plus coaches also factors in.

Yes.  And just last year they had 2 returning offensive starters (Allen,Dawkins)!!

This year we'll be returning 8-11 and upgrades at the positions that aren't returning. Same OC. That alone should make the O significantly better. I love this front office , they really are on point.