NFL making contingency plans for draft

Does anybody other than the people who were planning to attend the draft give even half a damn whether there are fans there to witness it or not?

As long as the draft goes on and isn't delayed, I couldn't care less whether it's just in a room at a Marriott or whether it takes place on a blimp over New Zealand. Who cares? Just give me rookies!

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I kinda like the idea. I don’t mind watching; but the fanfare involved has gotten over the top. 

Yes, it has.

I love going to the draft because I have fun with all the fans who enjoy football.

Ever since it became a travelling circus I have been amazed at the size of the crowds in attendance. You'd think it was the Super Bowl. One of the bad things about it is that most of these fans don't have a clue about the draft. I'll ask people who they want their team to pick, and most of the time the answer is "I don't know."

Then there is the ridiculous emphasis that Goodell has with getting so much air time for picks to be announced. This causes the draft picks to pile up and takes a longer time for them to be announced. It's nice that they let actual fans announce picks, but they could do it much more swiftly.

Then there is the time in between picks, primarily on Day 1, where the NFL feels that the audience needs to be entertained. So they put Colleen Wolfe and Michael Irvin on stage to keep the crowd excited. UGH! It is so painful to have to listen to Michael Irvin yelling all the time.

I am hoping that the show will go on. I always have fun at the draft, but if it doesn't happen, I can always watch it on television. At least then I'll know that the picks will be announced at a better flow.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Does anybody other than the people who were planning to attend the draft give even half a damn whether there are fans there to witness it or not?

Nope.  I'm just listening to the guys talk about it, so whether they are physically at the draft or sitting in the NFL Network studio is meaningless.   

I don't need to see people booing Roger, players hugging their mom, fans reacting like idiots when the team doesn't take the guy they wanted, etc.  In fact, it might be better this way, if they just spend the time discussing players and football and without all the silly showmanship.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Nope.  I'm just listening to the guys talk about it, so whether they are physically at the draft or sitting in the NFL Network studio is meaningless.   

I don't need to see people booing Roger, players hugging their mom, fans reacting like idiots when the team doesn't take the guy they wanted, etc.  In fact, it might be better this way, if they just spend the time discussing players and football and without all the silly showmanship.

I remember when it DID just used to be 30 old dudes in a Marriott banquet room. It was just as entertaining then. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

I remember when it DID just used to be 30 old dudes in a Marriott banquet room. It was just as entertaining then. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

Yes!  Those videos of 1983 are hilarious now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

The draft has got to be the most overhyped event in sports history. Yes, I enjoy seeing who the bills pick, but watching guys get their names called up to a stage is honestly one of the most boring sports events in my opinion. 

I rather enjoy it.  To each their own, but think its interesting for the first 3 or 4 rounds where guys are on the board I really want to see us get and even more so now with a GM in place that isnt afraid to trade to go get those guys.  So, I have really enjoyed the last 3 years of the draft personally.

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

I would be just as entertained if that's all I saw at the draft.

Even when the draft was at Madison Square Garden, it still wasn't as over hyped as it is now. Yes, there were lots of fans attending, but after the first round ended, most of the fans would leave.

When I saw Taylor Swift at last year's draft in Nashville, that's when it dawned on me as to how much this event has changed.

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

The television networks are going to push to make this an event.  They've lost all live sports for the foreseeable future - the draft is the only thing that could in theory be done in a smaller space with a bunch of webcams into team war rooms.

good point.  Personally, I'm missing college Lax.  This SU team looked awesome this year, and being in Pittsburgh, no one really talks about college lax (my son just got into it).  Bummer, but more important things like health.  

Personally I think the NFL should take the opportunity to try some things that the fans may really like.  Something like simulcasts that allow local media discuss the picks and have you along for the ride, and they would occassionally interface with NFL network and/or ESPN personnel to have the dialogue and swing it back into the National broadcast from time to time and get more in depth look at the team and get some insight from the players on the team and their reactions.  I think that's how they can make this go from an odd and surreal event to what is looking to be the most exciting sporting event of the spring.  Yikes.

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

The draft has got to be the most overhyped event in sports history. Yes, I enjoy seeing who the bills pick, but watching guys get their names called up to a stage is honestly one of the most boring sports events in my opinion. 

That's because it's not a sports event! 

But in fairness, a lot of sports fans will eat up anything that is offered for their consumption, no matter how tangentially related to the sport they love.

Your post is right on point. There are ways to keep the draft and do it in a manner than does no impose undue health risks on anyone. The country needs some return to normalcy where possible. Keeping the draft would go a long way towards achieving it. Plus, I can't take many more Leave it to Beaver reruns as alternatives to the sports world.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You mean they won’t go to some random zoo to let an orangutan make a 6th round draft pick on Saturday afternoon? 

im dead inside 

Hahaha. And worse it is to announce a pick that has actually been made about half an hour ago. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hahaha. And worse it is to announce a pick that has actually been made about half an hour ago. 

Believe me, we are also yelling for the picks to be announced, when they are wasting time with their fluff pieces.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

As long as the draft goes on and isn't delayed, I couldn't care less whether it's just in a room at a Marriott or whether it takes place on a blimp over New Zealand. Who cares? Just give me rookies!

tenor.gif?itemid=4786132

8 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Mods.  If redundant please move or notify me and I will delete 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/13/nfl-making-contingency-plans-for-draft/?partner=Yahoo

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2020, 4:33 AM EDT

The NFL draft is still on for April 23-25, but whether the draft will be the big Las Vegas spectacle the NFL envisioned remained to be seen.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NFL is making contingency plans, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

If the outbreak remains a major threat to the United States, the league could scrap all events and conduct the draft by conference call. The draft would go on, but it would consist of teams calling in their picks to the league, and the league office making the announcement. 

It will be just like a Fantasy Draft. Will there be wings?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

But...but...but...   

How will we survive without seeing all the first round picks bear hugging Goodell...

Call up the place that makes the cardboard cutout stand ups of celebrities.  Get enough pantomime Goodells for about 8 rounds of picks.  Air freight one to each prospect expected to be drafted.  Drafted player hugs faux Roger.  Raffle off the rest to use as dart boards.  ? 

27 minutes ago, CSBill said:

It will be just like a Fantasy Draft. Will there be wings?

I pick Fruit Loops!

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

It's an event whether people are there or not.  Besides, Goodell is all for not having attendees there to boo him.

He might have this weird abusive co-dependency thing going on.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1