NFL making contingency plans for draft

Mods.  If redundant please move or notify me and I will delete 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/13/nfl-making-contingency-plans-for-draft/?partner=Yahoo

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2020, 4:33 AM EDT

The NFL draft is still on for April 23-25, but whether the draft will be the big Las Vegas spectacle the NFL envisioned remained to be seen.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NFL is making contingency plans, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

If the outbreak remains a major threat to the United States, the league could scrap all events and conduct the draft by conference call. The draft would go on, but it would consist of teams calling in their picks to the league, and the league office making the announcement. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/13/nfl-making-contingency-plans-for-draft/?partner=Yahoo

The NFL draft is still on for April 23-25, but whether the draft will be the big Las Vegas spectacle the NFL envisioned remained to be seen.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NFL is making contingency plans, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

If the outbreak remains a major threat to the United States, the league could scrap all events and conduct the draft by conference call. The draft would go on, but it would consist of teams calling in their picks to the league, and the league office making the announcement. 

Smart move by the NFL. I would imagine all NFL business like FA, draft, league meetings will be done by video conferencing, e-mails, phone, fax. It will probably be a tough offseason for coaching staffs to get their teams ready for the season though. Who knows if they will have mini-camp, rookie-camp, OTA's. Hopefully by training camp the worst of the virus issue is behind us.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I kinda like the idea. I don’t mind watching; but the fanfare involved has gotten over the top. 

100%

Maybe this year they can get a first round done quickly.

Although doing a TV brodcast for the draft will be entirely hard is everyone is remote.

The draft has got to be the most overhyped event in sports history. Yes, I enjoy seeing who the bills pick, but watching guys get their names called up to a stage is honestly one of the most boring sports events in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

While good news for the league it can move forward, feel bad for those players who were going to be there in attendance and will lose the love experience.  Work so hard for that moment they dream of on stage, but now won’t get that.  

But at least it will happen still and rookies won’t lose time getting their playbooks and meeting their new teams ahead of the season.

The television networks are going to push to make this an event.  They've lost all live sports for the foreseeable future - the draft is the only thing that could in theory be done in a smaller space with a bunch of webcams into team war rooms.

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

The television networks are going to push to make this an event.  They've lost all live sports for the foreseeable future - the draft is the only thing that could in theory be done in a smaller space with a bunch of webcams into team war rooms.

It will be watched by millions and probably more than any other draft because of no live sports. I am going to miss the NHL playoffs for sure. With the exception of football season the NHL playoffs is the most exciting time of the year IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1