The power of team continuity

What a difference from the woeful years of the drought where Buffalo was a revolving door of management, coaches, and players.  The product on the field reflected that lack of continuity.  No one had a chance to get settled into a system and learn how to play within it.  New head coaches, new offensive and defensive coordinators, a parade of quarterbacks and a continuous turnover of the supporting cast on both sides of the ball created a constant state of flux for this franchise.  That's what happens when a franchise and team are lost and desperately searching for an answer.

Look at the Bills now.  Beane, McDermott, and Frazier coming back for their fourth season together, Brian Daboll is back for his third season along with Josh Allen.  It looks like Bills are going to return all five starting offensive lineman next year and that should pay huge dividends for the entire offense.  Continuity on the O-Line may be the most important ingredient for great line play.  They should only get better playing in the same scheme, with the same O-Line coach, and with the same player on their left and right.

The defense will be entering it's fourth year in the same scheme and it looks like we will be bringing back the majority of the defense that was the strength of the team and PFF's 4th ranked secondary in the League last year.  Milano and Edmunds will be a year older and wiser in the system and in the NFL game itself, and Big Ed Oliver should take another step forward this year in the same system, able to just react in the system instead of having to think about what his assignment is.

There won't be any wasted time in training camp installing new verbiage or new systems, they will jump right back into where they left off last season and the entire team should be able to hit the ground running.  This is how a successful franchise operates.  The foundation of the team is already there, the scheme and personnel are already there, now they just have to incorporate a few new players into the fold, and even that process is smoother because all the players around them already know the system and can help them out.

This isn't the chaotic Buffalo Bills of ten years ago, or even five years ago.  This is a Buffalo Bills franchise that has turned the corner and is now functioning at a high level across the entire organization; ownership, management, coaches, and players, all on the same sheet of music. It is the type of continuity that fosters success and the type of continuity that has been sorely lacking before Beane and McDermott arrived. It's the kind of continuity that teams contending for championships have.

• Like (+1) 23
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

We've got a good bunch, but we need to see them take the next step. Winning playoff games and ultimately Superbowls is the new yardstick. Another year without a playoff win would be disappointing, but I have confidence in the team to get it done.

This will be a tough year with all the travel.  The Bills have historically struggled to win on the West Coast.  Fortunately, the rest of the AFCE has pretty much the same challenges.  I think this is the year the Bills win the AFCE, but probably not host a playoff game unless they win two road playoff games first.  10-6 will win the division but not get a home playoff game or bye.  Other teams are getting better as well.  Tennessee will be trouble.  Miami is a tight group, playing without much talent but playing together, and in all honesty as Brady collapses or leaves, NE will probably finish third.  The Jets are the disaster we thought Miami would be.

I honestly think 2021 will be the SB year.  The schedule will return to normal amounts of travel, and the Bills' core will have been working together for several years, with almost no one getting old yet.  We need to hold on to Frazier, which is why I think he got promoted to Assistant HC.

• Like (+1) 1

Not to be a wet blanket but we've never seen this team tested against better teams and consistently score points. Until then don't get all amped up. Notice I didn't say "win" as that can be luck, turn-overs, bad call, or things not in the cards on a given day. Our defense should be good enough to win more than we lose if we can score. 

The league is not a defensive league anymore. Watch DeAndre Hopkins against Tre in the playoffs and you'll see the advantages WR have over CBs in the league. Tre played a great game but a great WR/QB combo will always win nowadays if they get pass protection.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Not to be a wet blanket but we've never seen this team tested against better teams and consistently score points. Until then don't get all amped up. Notice I didn't say "win" as that can be luck, turn-overs, bad call, or things not in the cards on a given day. Our defense should be good enough to win more than we lose if we can score. 

The league is not a defensive league anymore. Watch DeAndre Hopkins against Tre in the playoffs and you'll see the advantages WR have over CBs in the league. Tre played a great game but a great WR/QB combo will always win nowadays if they get pass protection.

How would you know?? Have you ever been a dry blanket?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

This will be a tough year with all the travel.  The Bills have historically struggled to win on the West Coast.  Fortunately, the rest of the AFCE has pretty much the same challenges.  I think this is the year the Bills win the AFCE, but probably not host a playoff game unless they win two road playoff games first.  10-6 will win the division but not get a home playoff game or bye.  Other teams are getting better as well.  Tennessee will be trouble.  Miami is a tight group, playing without much talent but playing together, and in all honesty as Brady collapses or leaves, NE will probably finish third.  The Jets are the disaster we thought Miami would be.

I honestly think 2021 will be the SB year.  The schedule will return to normal amounts of travel, and the Bills' core will have been working together for several years, with almost no one getting old yet.  We need to hold on to Frazier, which is why I think he got promoted to Assistant HC.

If they win the AFC East they automatically host a playoff game

40 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

.... “not to be a wet blanket”..... 

as if you’ve ever been anything else. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

If we win the division, we get a home playoff game, at least in the current format. (Not 100% sure about the new format)

IMO this is under rated.  At work, when a project has worked with me before the results are faster/better.  Everyone knows what is expected and what to do.  This is what continuity brings.

I would add one more thing: what you are describing is building a team vs collecting talent. How do the parts work together vs chasing big names/stats.

• Like (+1) 1