Predict Shaq Lawson's contract

6 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I know it’s been reported that we’re letting Philips go, hate to see that but I understand the business side of that. Although I have read that Beane stated that he is going to work on keeping Lawson for the long term. What kind of contract you think is fair to give to Shaq Lawson?

The Bills will let Jordan Phillips test free agency.  It's likely that somebody will overpay him, but if they don't, it's possible he might work out a deal with Buffalo.  With Ed Oliver as a potential star in the making at the 3 tech spot, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to sign Jordan Phillips to the big money deal he wants.  I think Shaq Lawson may warrant a bigger contract from the perspective of the Bills.  Jerry Hughes, being an older player, is probably being thought of as only a short term player for the Bills going forward.  On the other side, Trent Murphy certainly hasn't given any evidence that he's going to be a significant presence for the Bills, and it is not certain the Bills are even going to keep him.  Shaq was pretty productive as a pass rusher last season, and my be the Bills' best run defender from the defensive end position.  He's young enough that he may still have some upside.  I'm far from an expert on NFL salary levels.  I don't think Shaq deserves a top to salary at the position, but maybe top 20.

12 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I hope he doesn’t leave he’s really turned it around, thought he was a bust in the beginning but he’s really turned it around and became a leader

My only concern is that he just happened to peak in his free agency year.  I could see him losing his motivation after signing his big contract.

If they resign him, I hope the contract is incentive based.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the thing that lends me some confidence is the 2nd half of the prior year he played really well. Everyone was so hung up on him being a “bust” at that point they missed his strong performance. He’s never going to be elite but he’s a really, really solid football player. He’s the EXACT type of guy that the Patriots always have. He doesn’t excel at one thing but he does everything pretty well. 

and it’s:

injury year

essentially rookie year

big jump

very solid year

so maybe he came on a few games late but I think it’s a unique case given his first season. Not a standard 3 year flop with a tiny spike right at the end 

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

My only concern is that he just happened to peak in his free agency year.  I could see him losing his motivation after signing his big contract.

If they resign him, I hope the contract is incentive based.

did you think it was lack of motivation prior to this?

I'm not convinced his improved performance was due to a contract year as much as him improving as a player with excellent coaching.  Aren't you always playing for your next contract on your rookie deal regardless of how many years you have left on it?  McBeane has more insight into what Lawson is made of mentally so I'll trust their judgment.

• Like (+1) 1

Keeping Lawson over Jordan Phillips is the smart move. It's been hard for a lot of fans (myself included) to get over that initial first impression of him being hurt in his rookie year and not producing initially, but he's been a sneaky good/underrated player for a while now. He's an excellent run defender and brings a lot of juice/hustle to the defense while posting reasonable sack numbers. Any contract at $8 million AAV or less as others have predicted is good with me.

While I like the guy and his comeback story, Phillips on the other hand is not worth anywhere near the money he's about to get paid. All-22 analysis has shown that many of his sacks were the result of great coverage in the secondary and he's also pretty woeful against the run for someone his size. If he wants to come back for $5 million AAV or less, it's worth discussing, but I don't expect that to be the case. Some other team is going to see the double digit sack total at the DT position and back up the truck for him which I'd predict will look foolish in a couple years. 

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

u trying to make Jerry mad? 

That’s decent value for him. 

If it lights a fire in him, yes.

He really hasn't been the same player the past couple of years. I really believe that this coming season will be his last in Buffalo.

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

and it’s:

injury year

essentially rookie year

big jump

very solid year

so maybe he came on a few games late but I think it’s a unique case given his first season. Not a standard 3 year flop with a tiny spike right at the end 

did you think it was lack of motivation prior to this?

No one know what goes on in a player's mind.  Just looking at Shaq's career, it should be considered a possibility.

19 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I know it’s been reported that we’re letting Philips go, hate to see that but I understand the business side of that. Although I have read that Beane stated that he is going to work on keeping Lawson for the long term. What kind of contract you think is fair to give to Shaq Lawson?

Not real sure exactly where he fits as far as production for his position, he has shown improvement each year & i think or should i say hope he hasn't hit his ceiling yet & will live up to (in the future) his draft status but to this point i'm not sure where his number as far as a contract might fit with his production .

But i do hope that Beane & his team can come up with a number that Shaq & his team can agree on because he has shown he can be a good player even if he stays at the production level that he is at now .

But if he hits FA there's no telling what kind of number another team will see him at & that might be like it is with Phillips a lot more than Beane & company see him at !

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think you let Shaw test the market and see what he gets. He’s not somebody you overpay for but if you get him for $7M-$8M he’s somebody worth bringing back.

I think Shaw66 is a quality poster and not be allowed to hit FA.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Hardhatharry said:

You guys know he has no other NFL pictures.

Yeah, but I take the "4L❤" as "For Life" so hopefully meaning an extension is about to be announced. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2