Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Having five returning starters on the offensive line is unprecedented around these parts. I honestly can’t remember the last time that happened in Buffalo. For that reason alone, this is a great signing. Spain had his ups and downs, but when he was up he was really good. Plus having primary backups in Long, Nsehke, Bates back? Seriously never happens. 

On Ford, people need to understand how incredibly hard it is to play the offensive line. It takes time. What Ford was asked to do in this offense was so far advanced from what he had to do as a Sooner. Ford is raw with a lot of upside and will take time. Very similar to Dion Dawkins, last year’s “guy who needs to move to guard but now we all want to extend.” Give it time and Ford will be very good.

2015 to 2016 I think they returned the same O-line of Cord-InCog-Wood-Miller-Mills (Unless I am missing something) and I can't think of the O-line changing much from 2016 to 2017 either besides Dawkins taking over for an injured Glenn. But before that I can't think of a time when the O-line had that type of continuity (certainly not in the drought era.) And unlike the 2015-2017 offensive lines (which were solid O-lines dominant in the ground blocking and average to below average pass blocking) you have a lot of quality depth behind them. Ty and Long are starting caliber players, while Bates is super versatile with potential. 

I was worried when McBeane in 2018 seemingly neglected the O-line (I give them credit in 2017 for at least investing a 2nd round pick in the O-line with Dawkins when the O-line in 2016 was coming off of a decent season.) But the complete rebuild of the O-line and O-line depth in 2019 with mostly mid-tier or lower acquisitions (Outside of Mitch there were no huge contracts and only a 2nd round pick was added via the draft) was something that showed me that they understand the importance of the O-line. 

Edited by billsfan89

4 hours ago, zevo said:

I really think the mantra of this team is positional flexibility. I don’t think they necessarily like to pigeonhole a player to one designated position. You see it all across the oline...every player has flexibility. 

This is a mentality that helped us throughout the season. and from game to game as Bills would rotate linemen in.

Solid depth is the key to their success. I am of the thinking that another year playing with Allen and together is bound to show improvement.
and while this has turned into a Ford Thread very nearly. He is the weakest link in pass pro on that line.

Fix that? and ya got somethin' 

Go Bills

Really pleased to see Q back. I was all over us pursuing him in FA last year, indeed he was my #1 FA target for the Bills. I thought he had a decent season. Slow start, excellent stretch of play in the middle and a middling end. But to get a solid starting NFL guard tied up for 3 years at $5m per year is an absolute steal. Especially when he best seasons he has been way above solid and I am hopeful that in year 2 of the system and playing between Dawkins and Morse again with that continuity he will not just be solid as he was this year but can potentially be very good. 

Wasn't necessarily expecting him back but this is a nice outcome. Does suggest they will stick with Cody at RT. Would still like to see a developmental tackle somewhere on day 3.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I get the inclination to want to kick Ford inside and bring in a RT. But I think McBeane deserves the benefit of the doubt with Ford. Granted he was up and down his rookie year but played better deeper into the season (which is usually a sign of a player working out the kinks) so I think people are really nervous about Ford despite not taking into account the balance of his season and the regime that drafted him. 

With Spain back in the fold I think they are going with the idea that the O-line last year ranged from average to above average and two things will help push their level of play up, and that is continuity and Ford improving/developing. 

Don't they have Ty? I would love to see them resign Waddle if his medicals are good. Ty and Waddle would give some quality options behind Ford and Dawkins (as both can play both sides.) 

good post

on of my ***** about folks wanting to move Ford to guard.

McD did not once during the season.
did they during practice? don't know that. I feel that would be a last hope to salvage him.

Ford has to improve the pass pro as he lost some drives and big downs for us.

I am hoping he does.

Spain ? Super glad to have him back next to Dion and Mitch. Left side will be strong and that the most important side for our QB of course !

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Murph and Tasker said at the end of their show that they both expect the Bills to move Ford inside this year.

hmmm

Could this be more about Morse?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GG said:

Could this be more about Morse?

It is not a stupid question. I think from snap the the ball being dead the best center the Bills had last year was Feliciano in his limited snaps when Morse went down in a couple of games. That said Morse was no doubt part of helping them get into better protection schemes and line calls etc. 

My view is they likely see Ford staying at tackle at least for 2020. But Morse's health is a question and they likely think they need a contingency plan which almost certainly involves Feliciano at center. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like the Spain signing—as everyone said, continuity is imperative with OL.

As for the Ford talk, McBeane is married to him at RT after moving up specifically to take him as a RT—unlike most teams who projected him at G (but with high marks FWIW).  So, the FO will give him every chance and then some to succeed at RT.

I was happy we got him on draft day and want him to succeed at RT—just hope they don’t push the situation merely to try to prove he’s capable of playing RT even if he’s not an early 2nd rd OT selection but could be a value at that pick at G.

Whether we like it or not, there is that “stick with your guy” dynamic to a FO with certain FA signings and early draft choices (and trading up increases the pressure).  Keeping my fingers crossed that Ford proves his naysayers and the nervous optimists wrong (and from his perspective all the doubters should be a big motivator for him!). 

Edited by biggerdaddynj

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not a stupid question. I think from snap the the ball being dead the best center the Bills had last year was Feliciano in his limited snaps when Morse went down in a couple of games. That said Morse was no doubt part of helping them get into better protection schemes and line calls etc. 

My view is they likely see Ford staying at tackle at least for 2020. But Morse's health is a question and they likely think they need a contingency plan which almost× certainly involves Feliciano at center. 

This is a good point.....we literally have 3 guys who can play center on this team with Jon F. being first batter up......I def hope that Morse stays healthy but they really have covered themselves.

4 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

If i put ford at guard then i would let feliciano or long go.  probably make feliciano the back up if hell take the money.  if ford is better than feliciano at RG then i dont think they would be better served with feliciano at RG.  that said i dont know how good ford would be at RG, but i would def take one of the top 4 tackles if they somehow magically fell in the draft.

Don't forget. Feliciano also plays Center & played it very well when he was called on.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jletha said:

I am glad we re-signed Spain first and foremost but it does leave me with questions as to what we are going to do moving forward. I agree that most people would say our weakness was RT. A lot of people want to make Ford a guard permanently, which makes sense based on last year. Re-signing Spain and Long creates a log-jam at G though, so if Ford was going to make the switch to G he is going to have to fight for snaps which seems counterproductive for a young players development when switching positions.

Also what room is there for upgrades? If we agree that another RT would be an upgrade and we get one in FA or the early rounds of the draft, how is that player going to rotate in with Ford & Nseke? This move actually makes me think we sit tight at OL with what we have instead of look for an upgrade, which is disappointing a bit.

Again, I am happy overall we re-signed Spain but I makes upgrading the line a bit less obvious. But as always in Beane I trust.

One thing to remember is that Jon Feliciano is a free agent in 2021.  So the coaching staff may feel that Cody Ford just needs another season of development.  If he struggles again, the opportunity will arise again next year to kick him inside.

Sometimes you upgrade by just letting young players develop.  That's what we are obviously doing at Quarterback.  So why not other positions?

Our Left Tackle play improved in 2019 without a player change.  Same with Middle Linebacker.  

I think the team will be depending heavily on improvement from Ford, along with Ed Oliver (hence letting Jordan Phillips walk) and Dawson Knox.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billykay said:

Don't forget. Feliciano also plays Center & played it very well when he was called on.

Yup. I would cut long if choosing between Feliciano and long (I talked about Feliciano cause he was starting cause he’s better than long).  @GunnerBillhad a great point about long term security at the center position. 

On 3/12/2020 at 3:11 PM, aristocrat said:

might be a trade candidate.  perhaps we could do some kind of player for player deal and maybe get a rb or something? or for diggs? ooooh me likey

WHy would we trade a good OL when we need them ourselves?

20 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yup. I would cut long if choosing between Feliciano and long (I talked about Feliciano cause he was starting cause he’s better than long).  @GunnerBillhad a great point about long term security at the center position. 

I would just keep them all?

The OL is pretty much complete....the reserves are quality......trading away good players that we could use sounds like the old bills

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The OL is pretty much complete....the reserves are quality......trading away good players that we could use sounds like the old bills

Agree keep them all I was trying to respond to some discussion about bumping Ford inside and how that’s a lot of assets for a backup. I think if they kick him inside they start him. But yeah keep them all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

well if we slide ford to guard. first round right tackle.  sign a nice depth guard. is there a trade available to move jon for another position of need?  seriously could jon get diggs? or get close to diggs?